× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Philips Hue hub break DHCP address assignment over LAN on NightHawk Router

adameast9000
Tutor

Philips Hue hub break DHCP address assignment over LAN on NightHawk Router

Recently upgraded from a Nighthawk R7500v2 to an XR500 but the issue is the same on both routers. The router works fine with wired and wireless devices (I have a switch and xbox connected via wired), until I connect my phillips hue bridge via wired. After ~6 hours, the router disconnects all wired devices and refuses to assign them a new IP through DHCP (have also tried assigning these devices to static IPs to no avail). I've looked through the logs on the router during these events and all I can seem to find is a few failures to assign an entry to the ARP table around the same time (will post the exact entry when it happens again). Disconnecting the Hue completely from the network solves all of the problems. Looking for any advice. I'm savvy but not a professional network engineer. Will post any more info that could help!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Philips Hue hub break DHCP address assignment over LAN on NightHawk Router

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

Can you set a IP address reservation for the HUE bridge? 

Or Try setting a static IP address on the HUE bridge if possible thats outside the routers default IP address pool. You may need to change the routers IP address pool from 192.168.1.2 - .254 to 192.168.1.100 thru .200. This will give you room on either side of the pool for static IP addressed devices. 

Message 2 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you upgrade to this firmware and see if it resolves the issue please? https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/
Message 3 of 11
adameast9000
Tutor

There is no ethernet switch in the config. The HUE hub directly connects to the router via eithernet. I configured a smaller DHCP range and set the HUE to a static address outside that. I saw no issues for a few days but last night the same issue again where wired devices were dropped from the network at the same time, and then could not receive a new IP via DHCP until rebooting the router. Will try updating the firmware with the hotfix mentioned in the other comment and see how that goes. 

Thanks for all help so far.

Message 4 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Keep us updated on how the firmware works out!
Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Please do a full factory reset and setup from scratch after updating FW. 

@adameast9000 wrote:

There is no ethernet switch in the config. The HUE hub directly connects to the router via eithernet. I configured a smaller DHCP range and set the HUE to a static address outside that. I saw no issues for a few days but last night the same issue again where wired devices were dropped from the network at the same time, and then could not receive a new IP via DHCP until rebooting the router. Will try updating the firmware with the hotfix mentioned in the other comment and see how that goes. 

Thanks for all help so far.

Message 6 of 11
adameast9000
Tutor

As recommended did a full factory reset of the router after updating firmware with the hotfix. Also factory reset the Hue hub module. Didn't set the Hue outside the DHCP range at first, and the issue came up again. The issue is interesting as it works in the following flow: 

1. turn on router with all devices connected (including hue and other wired/wireless devices)

2. a few days in wired devices disconnect and cannot receive new DHCP address (even if they are statically assigned an IP, still can't get IP from router)

3. disconnect hue, issue persists

4. reset wired devices (nintendo switch, xbox one), issue persists

5. reboot router, issue resolved immediately. can connect hue again and lights work properly

-repeat from step 2

I will once again place the hue at an address above the DHCP range, but I'm starting to think I need to replace the hue hub module entirely. clearly it's doing something to the router that can only be resolved by clearing the ram...

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Set a static IP address on the HUE bridge if possible thats outside the routers default IP address pool. You need to change the routers IP address pool from 192.168.1.2 - .254 to 192.168.1.100 thru .200. This will give you room on either side of the pool for static IP addressed devices. Then set the hub to static on either side of this pool. 

Sounds like this router and the hub don't get along well. 

Message 8 of 11
adameast9000
Tutor

I did this (setting the hub to a static address outside the DHCP range), but am now seeing issues with wifi speed on various devices. At this point I think I need to involve phillips support.

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, seems like the hub doesn't like the XR router for some reason. 

Curious, what was the last Mfr and model# router use with this hub if you had this configuration then? 

Message 10 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That is really strange, does the hub go into a standby mode or anything like that at all? It could be similar to the console issue if so.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7