× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ping spikes on wired connection.... HELP identify problem

MDM0
Aspirant

Ping spikes on wired connection.... HELP identify problem

Hello -

I am experiencing random ping spikes on games such as CSGO for what seems like no apparent reason.  

I have checked and verified that all drivers are up to date both for the router and PC.  The current connection I have is wired 150/10.

Can someone tell me how to check where the problem is coming from or a fix?

Thank you

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 11
kovachular
Aspirant

Re: Ping spikes on wired connection.... HELP identify problem

Okay so this has happened to me occasionally on both on wi-fi and on hardwire connections and I have wondered the same thing. In games, I will lose a ton of packets and connection for sometimes 5-20 seconds at a time. Did you ever find anything out through support?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would use pingplotter.com with a wired PC connected to the ISP Modem/ONT first. Then test same app with the router in the mix.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk
You might try Voxels 3rd party FW as well. 
Good Luck.

@MDM0 wrote:

Hello -

I am experiencing random ping spikes on games such as CSGO for what seems like no apparent reason.  

I have checked and verified that all drivers are up to date both for the router and PC.  The current connection I have is wired 150/10.

Can someone tell me how to check where the problem is coming from or a fix?

Thank you

Message 3 of 11
kovachular
Aspirant

That was really great advice for troubleshooting. I'll try this later and give it a shot. 

Any other network tools you recommend? I've been looking for tools like this for a while. 

Message 4 of 11
MDM0
Aspirant

Thank you for the response. 

The Modem I am currently using is Technicolor Model:TC4400-AM.

When I am using pingplotter should I be entering a website address or some type of IP for the program (ie. Counter Strike CSGO) which i am experiencing issues on?  Evereything else appears to be working as normal as I have run many speed tests and I am also always near the max of 150/10.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Just ping out to pingplotter.com for direct with the modem. Once you add the RBR, you can ping to the routers IP address, then ping to the modems IP address on the LAN use, usually 192.168.100.1. You can ping the WAN IP address on the modems side as well. 

Look for Packet Loss coloum. You many need to enable this column. 

Message 6 of 11
MDM0
Aspirant

Ok, so i ran pingplotter for about 10 minutes to the following 

-pingplotter.com

Im showing PL % at 27% for 192.168.1.1 on the pingplotter tab, however at the bottom (im guessing totals) its at 0.8.  The other two tabs (192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.9) are at about 1ms with zero packet loss.   Please let me know if i should post any pictures as I am unsure which contain sensitive data.

Thanks

Also, as I was writting this the PL % for pingplotter seems to be going down as it is now at 20%, not sure if this has anything to do with it. 

Message 7 of 11
MDM0
Aspirant

Ok, so i continued running the pingplotter test while playing CSGO and the 192.168.1.1 PL% jumps to about 50% while game is running.  At the same time i am experiecing random ping spikes from the normal 20-30ping to around 80-90.

Message 8 of 11
fatalerror
Aspirant

I think that you need to change the router

Message 9 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Please post the pictures - you can remove your IP from the picture.
Message 10 of 11
fatalerror
Aspirant

yes, it's going to be useful, share some screens so we can understand what happens. This is the only way to solve your issue. Frankly speaking, I think that the problem is in your router, probably it doesn't have the correct settings. Well, we can't say anything until we see some logs and screenshots. By the way, I had exactly the same problem - very high ping in cs go, and it was unplayable, I have lost a lost of matches and got deranked. I have even ordered a boosting from https://eloboss.net/faceit-boost just to get my real rank back! Well, after 2 weeks I have reset my router settings, and it was fixed, lol

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7