× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Putting router behind tv affect signal?

droesw
Guide

Putting router behind tv affect signal?

I'm moving to a new place, and was going to keep the router in my room, and the most logical space to keep the router to me would be directly behind my 32" flatscreen tv. This probably makes no difference but the tv's probably like 6 or 7 years old, but regardless is doing this going to weaken the signal of the wifi at all? Also would this effect ethernet/lan connection in any way, cause I don't know if the tv will send off any waves or signal or anything like that that could interfere with the internal router itself if it's too close, causing issues with the ethernet for gaming and latency?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Re: Putting router behind tv affect signal?

I believe it might affect WiFi signal. Any electronic device in too close proximity can have an effect, but the main thing is just having a big object right between you and the router.

However I don't think it will have any effect on ethernet.

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

thats a loaded statement. will it affect lan signal and ethernet connections? No.

will it affect wifi? Possible. Metal does a great job of blocking wifi signals.

How much metal is in your TV? I don't know on your specific one. some have metal back plates, some don't. Some power supplies in the tv's block signals based upon where they're located, some work fine. 

potentially it'll work fine but potentially it'll block your signals and be horrible. Best you can do is to try it and see how it works. If it doesn't work, all it harms is having to move it. I recommend trying different locations with routers anyway to optimize their location and signals. This is a good time to do that 🙂 

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You need at least 3 feet in between electronic devices. 6 is preferred. 

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38It is recommended to prevent interference.

I've had AP's mounted to tv's (only location and they didn't want anything exposed) that worked fine. I've also had them work poorly and had to relocate them despite wanting them mounted there. All you can do is try it out and see if it works. If it doesn't, move it. 

Message 5 of 7
droesw
Guide

I'm not really sure on the metal in the tv, I don't even know the model number anymore. My main concern seems obvious but would it even possibly block the wifi signal for the back side of the tv. My tv is against the back of the wall which is facing towards the center of the house, so the tv wouldn't actually be in between the router signal for the majority of the house, basically just my room, so I'm assuming my room would be the only one being affected by the tv. Do you think this would be a safe assumption?

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Tvs can interfer with wifi signals if in close range. 

Whats recommended is the wifi router be place out in the open or maybe on a top shelf, non metalic shelving. And away from other electronics if possible There is some play room for distance. You would be best served by testing the placement of the router and checking wifi speeds and internet access and take notice of any bad performance or operation. 

The main thing is that you don't want to inhibit wifi signal propagation and coverage it at all possible. 

@droesw wrote:

I'm not really sure on the metal in the tv, I don't even know the model number anymore. My main concern seems obvious but would it even possibly block the wifi signal for the back side of the tv. My tv is against the back of the wall which is facing towards the center of the house, so the tv wouldn't actually be in between the router signal for the majority of the house, basically just my room, so I'm assuming my room would be the only one being affected by the tv. Do you think this would be a safe assumption?

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7