× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recently setup Nighthawk XR1000 and my phone and chromecast are having issues with certain apps

TheBroheim
Aspirant

Recently setup Nighthawk XR1000 and my phone and chromecast are having issues with certain apps

Router is Nighthawk XR1000 with latest firmware 1.0.0.58_1.0.44.

Every device on our network works correctly on this new router, except for my Google Pixel 6 phone and Chromecasts. My Pixel 6 can search on chrome, receive snapchats, load youtube. But it can't load reddit, tiktok, tiktok comments. The chromecast can play youtube, but it can't load Binge. I'm stumped trying to figure out what the cause might be. Other iPhone's on the network have everything working correctly. 

When loading Tiktok on the Pixel 6, it comes up with "Unstable internet connection". Binge on the chromecast just says unable to load. 

I have tried changing DNS to google DNS and that has not worked.

Recently reset router also to revert to default settings and that has not fixed anything.

Getting really annoyed with it and am after any help please.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
TheBroheim
Aspirant

Re: Recently setup Nighthawk XR1000 and my phone and chromecast are having issues with certain apps

I have found a solution. Ticking "use as wireless access point" has worked. Not sure why that would prevent certain aspects of android OS to not load anything. But it is now working perfectly.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Recently setup Nighthawk XR1000 and my phone and chromecast are having issues with certain apps

Interesting, not seen this before, in WAN Settings can you toggle IGMP Proxying and set NAT to Open and see if that helps please?
Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway are you connected to ?

Are you using IPv6? If so, did you change the IPv6 DNS server as well? or just the IPv4?

Message 3 of 6
TheBroheim
Aspirant

I have found a solution. Ticking "use as wireless access point" has worked. Not sure why that would prevent certain aspects of android OS to not load anything. But it is now working perfectly.
Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

@TheBroheim wrote:

if its running in access point mode, you're not using a simple modem. You're gateway has its own integrated router. 

It causes a double nat. Not all devices play nicely with a double nat. 

but putting your gaming router in access point mode, removes half the benefits of having a gaming router. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Running the XR1000 as an AP isn't a great solution I'm afraid, you're losing all features of DumaOS by doing this.

Take the XR out of AP mode and instead completely disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control. If that resolves the issue, we've narrowed down the problem to QoS. If not, we can troubleshoot elsewhere.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7