× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr1000 Extremely high ping when playing xbox games/ cant control upload speeds with Qos

Kr0419
Aspirant

Xr1000 Extremely high ping when playing xbox games/ cant control upload speeds with Qos

Recently had fiber optic by altice installed at my house. 300down/300up. They are using a fiber gateway 6 which has been confirmed to be placed in bridge mode with my Xr1000 connected via port 1 to use for wifi as well as Qos. Xbox series S is plugged in with a Cat 5e cable. Connection benchmark reads very well(A+) when nothing else on wifi is being used. However when playing games on xbox or using phones or ipads connected to wifi the ping will spike from 6-30 causing immense jitter. Also trying to set CC to 60% works fine on my xbox and cpu (connected via ethernet) however all devices using wifi seem to override the upload limit set and continue to use the full amount while running a speedtest on fast.com. Download CC works fine with all devices but it seems that this upload override is messing with my gaming and causing immense lag while in game. Any help would be appreciated!
Message 1 of 6
Kr0419
Aspirant

re: Xr1000 Extremely high ping when playing xbox games/ cant control upload speeds with Qos

Recently had fiber installed 300/300. Using altice fiber gateway from ISP set to bridge mode with xr1000 plugged in. Dhcp connection however when playing fifa there is unbearable lag as well as my CC not limiting upload speeds when using wifi devices. Works fine for any devices wired into router however. Any tips appreciated!

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Xr1000 Extremely high ping when playing xbox games/ cant control upload speeds with Qos

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Have you connected the xbox to the ONT directly to see if you experience the same issue with out the router in the middle? 

CAT6 would be recommended.

Might try a factory reset and setup form scratch and use the default sliders settings of 70% with QoS enabled then disable QoS to see if the problem follows with the Xbox ethernet connected to the XR router. 

Message 3 of 6
Kr0419
Aspirant

Re: Xr1000 Extremely high ping when playing xbox games/ cant control upload speeds with Qos

Firmware version is V 1.0.0.64_1.0.49
The ont is a fibergateway gr140dg provided by altice one connected to Xr1000 with cat6 cable. Originally when fiber was installed I had just my xbox and Cpu wired into ONT without using Xr1000. There were still lags spikes in game when playing online so I figured the Xr1000 would help mitigate that with its Qos and traffic prioritization rules however it seems that nothing has changed since placing ONT in bridge mode and running separate router.
Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If you saw this prior to putting the XR online, then you and the ISP will need to get this resolve before the xbox and XR router can work well. 

I'd use www.pingplotter.com  with a wired PC connected directly to the ONT in bridge mode and report your findings to the ISP regarding this. 

The XR router can only do so much and if there are problems upstream, then these will need to be reviewed and resolve with the ISP first. 

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Could you also perhaps provide screenshots of how you've got Congestion Control, Bandwidth allocation and Traffic Prio setup so we can see if there's anything else in there we can optimise?

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7