× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xr500 router choking internet speed

Siku
Aspirant

Xr500 router choking internet speed

hey!

First of all, im the only one using this and i need some help :x

Xr500 router keeps choking my internet.

i have tried....

QoS disabled

QoS enabled

tried QoS enabled with different settings

Firmevare is latest

i have played around with various wireless settings too.

also after i reboot router from the interface, it stops recieving the internet all together lol (only happened once)

usually i get full speed from start, but after a few days, it chokes it down to like 50 mbps, my normal is 300 mbps.

this router was very expensive and this is quite annoying! 

anyone has a fix?

really hope someone can help me :x

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Xr500 router choking internet speed

A few questions. 

1. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

2. What actual firmware is it on?

3. Is it all devices? just wired devices? Just wireless devices? 

4. When it happens, what fixes it? A reboot? A full factory reset? 

5. How are you speedtesting? device? app? what app?

Message 2 of 11
Siku
Aspirant

its through a modem from the tv provider Formerly known as canal digital, Now its Telenor small black box.

i have latest firmvare on the router 

Firmware Version

V2.3.2.66

i only use my laptop now, wireless.

i simply fix the problem by changing settings like QoS on and off

im speed testing with telenor.no/speedometer/ and another one, i also notice the download speed on steam.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

what telenor box is it? 

steam isn't a reliable speedtest site. 

try different servers on speedtest.com or google fiber's speedtest site

What wireless chip is in your laptop? 

are you testing over 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 2.4ghz is much much slower

do all devices have issues? or when the slow speeds happen, do wired devices slow down? 

Message 4 of 11
Siku
Aspirant

well, the speed test doesnt matter to be fair, i use this a lot and it works, 

i tried both 2.4 and 5, now its on auto, same result though. but will give 5ghz a try again.

i do not use wired now sadly, my mobile got higher speed, so it looks like it divides the internet even though it is not supposed to do so.

Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter, using this.

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

@Siku wrote:

well, the speed test doesnt matter to be fair, i use this a lot and it works, ----the speedtest does matter. If your main issue is speed, then it directly matters. 

i tried both 2.4 and 5, now its on auto, same result though. but will give 5ghz a try again.----5ghz should be much much faster. Amost an order of magnitude faster. If you're getting the same speeds from 2.4ghz and 5ghz and the ISP isn't the bottleneck, then sometimes wrong with your device, your settings, or the router

i do not use wired now sadly, my mobile got higher speed, so it looks like it divides the internet even though it is not supposed to do so.----mwireless isn't a good test because then it bases speeds of the device and doesn't ensure the router is getting full speeds. Wireless speetesting is a nice indicator but its not the baseline because so many things impact wireless speeds. (distance, obstruction, interference, the device, etc)

Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter, using this.----have you tried other devices? this specific chipset has a ton of posts about connection issues. 

Message 6 of 11
Siku
Aspirant

i get what you are saying, but i only got this problem AFTER i got this router xr500 and every speed test is the same, is there something i can do on the router? like does it have bugs with settings? cus it IS the routers issue, im just not sure what :x

i know you want to know about other issues, but the fact that this happened AFTER i got this router. 

is there something i can do on the router? settings wise?

i also can get my top speed with 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

There's no magic "turbo" button to hit that fixes speed issues. 

It why we ask details. 

about how you're testing, what you're testing with, the gateway, etc. 

And you're not actual going through the questions and answering them. 

You're just going on about how its the router. 

It sure could be but without details, we can't help. 

If its new, you have 90 days of free phone support from date of purchase. click "mynetgear" at the top. Register an account and the device. 

From there you can contact support. Might be a better option for you

Message 8 of 11
Siku
Aspirant

erm...... i have tried to do what you ask, you are a bit rude, sorry. but done my best.

also i dont expect a magic button.

Message 9 of 11

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Message 10 of 11
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear you're having troubles!

Are you currently using SmartConnect? If so, please disable it an check the speeds again.

How have you disabled QoS? I'd suggest doing it by clicking the three-line menu in Congestion Control and select 'Disable QoS'.

Unfortunately, Wi-Fi won't reach the speeds that wired does, but we can certainly do our best to make suggestions that will hopefully improve it!

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7