× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 and UK ISP Setup

Maryan
Aspirant

NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 and UK ISP Setup

Hello everyone!
I have a question regarding proper connection for AX12 router in the UK.

As we know in the UK we have VDSL & ADSL connection, so we need to use modem in order to be able to connect a WIFI router or combined modem/router in order to have an WIFI connectivity.

So, what I did many years ago I have removed my ISP Opereach DSL modem and BT HomeHub WiFi router, and purchased DrayTek Vigor28050N VDSL router in order to achieve more reliable and stable connection packed all in one device.

Years passed by and the router is not handling all connected devices properly, rebooting itself with no reasons, and dropping the connection, so this is the last bell to upgrade my network setup. 

Recently I have changed my ISP from BT to Vodafone, but this is all the same, still Openreach phone line + new router which is Huaweii HHG2500 VDSL & ADSL (now also all in one device)

So, I would like to get NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12,  but this is not a VDSL & ADSL router, so please advice me how to connect this router to my network to have a solid liek a rock connection?

Do I need to use this Huaweii router/modem in order to connect Netgear Nighthawk AX12? Will this device be strong enough to provide a stable connection to the Netgear router? 

I don't trust those cheap devices, and I would like to have 100% reliable connection which will work like a beast.

So, maybe better sollution is to use Netgear ADSL2+ Broadband Modem like DM111PSP instead the Vodafone one? 

This router should also resolve all my WIFI issues with the dead zones, and this is what I'm hoping for as well, but if not,  will this router work with netgear nighthawk extender? 

Many Thanks for your time and hoping to get an good recommendstion from you gys. 

Kind Regards 

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Re: NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 and UK ISP Setup

Sounds good, try both and I might keep them both just in case one went down.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
Maryan
Aspirant

I forgot to mention I need a good router for gaming too so hope this AX12 will be a good choice or if not please let me know your recommendation from Netgear Nighthawk router range.

Thanks so much!

Message 2 of 10
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Maryan, 

Welcome to the community! Did you end up getting the AX12 router? 

Christian 

Message 3 of 10
Maryan
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. 

No, I didn't decied yet. In 26 October I'm moving my broadband to BT, so they going to send me a brand new BT Smart Hub  which I can use as a modem. 

Then I can connect it to AX12, but I'm not too sure if this is a good setup example. 

Maybe I will need an other good modem (just modem) before AX12 instead of BT Smart Hub Router. 

This is why I asked the question here as Netgear community knows best what should be the best one.

All I need is to have a rock solid connection and good network range. 

I was also thinking about adding a mesh extender like EX7700.

Many thanks 

Message 4 of 10
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

BT home hubs for domestic use don't do modem only mode, you would need a modem to suit your line unless it's a business homehub which does allow modem only and that's for BT business customers.

I use a HG612 then the router attaches to that and away I go.

ive the RAX120 and use the EX8000 extender and it works well. NG have 2 AX extenders which if you wanted to remain in AX land are needed. Check out the EAX20 and EAX80.

Message 5 of 10
Maryan
Aspirant

Thanks for your answer. 

I had HG612 previously but I throw it to the bin many years ago,  having DrayTek Vigor 2850N this modem was useless. 

HG612 is a very old modem, not longer manufactured and supported by Openreach. 

I'm looking for a decent solution right now. 

Regarding BT Smart Hub I can always switch WIFI off and I have a modem, but still I don't think this is a professional solution. 

Message 6 of 10
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

You will end up with NAT issues if you just turn the WiFi off on the home hub, ie double NAT.

While the HG612 is no longer issued by BT it's still well used and you can find unlocked ones on EBay or unlock one your self. 

I  great performance with mine and no issues as it's just a modem .You should be able to find one for about £20. 

Message 7 of 10
psychopomp123
Luminary

OP, just get a Draytek 130 VDSL modem and hook that up to the router of your choice, eg Netgear AX12. I'm also in UK and using the AX12 on my BT FTTP line and its the best router I've ever used for wifi range & coverage. Buy it, you won't regret it!

Message 8 of 10
Maryan
Aspirant

Thanks guys, yes the AX12 seams to be one of the best when come to the WiFi range and features I need for gaming. 

Thanks for all the advices! Seams that HG612 and Draytek 130 are only raliable modem solution for this time in UK.

I have read a lot recently regarding Draytek 130 and users who was testing it against HG612 and the results was pretty the same.

HG612 had a slightly better performance, but I think I will get them both and test them for myself. The winner will stay with me for good, the looser will go back on eBay 🙂 

Message 9 of 10
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Sounds good, try both and I might keep them both just in case one went down.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7