× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX40 Connection Issues

JuanDollar
Tutor

Nighthawk RAX40 Connection Issues

I have been experiencing strange issues connecting to my Nighthawk router. I have a Virgin Media Super Hub 3 which is in Modem Mode and the RAX40 connected to it. The issues I have are threefold and occur seemingly at random, and all are resolved temporarily by restarting both modem and router.

1) Unable to get IP address - This is the most common of all and happens at least once a day and seemingly affects one or two devices on the network at a time but not all.

2) Complete loss of internet - Devices still connected via WiFi but no connection to the internet at all. Router light still green.

3) Devices unable to see the Wifi networks (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) - this happens very infrequently but mentioning here as it may be a sympton of the other issues.

I typically have between 12 and 18 devices connected, some of which are wired and the issues seem to affect different devices at different times. My SKy Q box for example seems to lose connection a lot even though its in the same room as the router and I have to repeatedly re-enter the SSID password.

Any help wouold be very much appreciated!

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JuanDollar
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk RAX40 Connection Issues

Resolved: These issues were resolved by re-flashing the firmware and/or disabling the AX functionality. I did both at the same time so dont know if it was one or the other for certain. Its now been stable for over a week. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Not all device makers code "modem only" mode or passthrough mode properly. or they make it difficult to get functioning properly. 

It sucks when this happens. 

What I'd try doing? 

Put the super hub back in router mode. 

You can then either put the RAX's ip address into the super hubs dmz or you can place the RAX in access point mode. this prevents a double nat. 

If you'd like you can leave the super hub's wifi running but you'd want to make sure its on different channels than the RAX. or you can disable wifi. 

Message 2 of 4
JuanDollar
Tutor

Thanks for the reply! I intially had it set up similar to that and had all the same problems so went right back to basics to keep it simple, although I dont believe I put the router IP into the DMZ so will try that and let you know how it goes. 

Message 3 of 4
JuanDollar
Tutor

Resolved: These issues were resolved by re-flashing the firmware and/or disabling the AX functionality. I did both at the same time so dont know if it was one or the other for certain. Its now been stable for over a week. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7