× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk RAX80 5G Radio problems / intermittent

Mike005
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX80 5G Radio problems / intermittent

I've purchased 2 RAX80 routers and both have problems with the 5ghz radio. The signal is intermittent, showing and disappearing, one router is worse than the other. I've performed extensive troubleshooting such as changing the broadcast power, channel, disabled AX, mbs different modes (1000, 2165, 4330), turned radio off and back on, etc. No luck.

Anyone else having this problem?
Message 1 of 5
Richard1864
Luminary

Make sure your individual devices have the latest updates for their operating systems and Wi-Fi drivers. My wife’s work computer had the exact same problem, but after updating the drivers for her Wi-Fi chipset, the problem disappeared.
Message 2 of 5
dmystic1
Apprentice

Are you using DFS Channels?  Some devices won't see them.

Message 3 of 5
Mike005
Aspirant

Yes and no, I've tested with and without. Same problem.
Message 4 of 5
Richard1864
Luminary

Yes, with DFS channels. All our devices, except for IoT, are Apple and work fine on 5GHz with no issues. The others all play nice on the 2.4 GHz. I assume you’ve got the latest firmware on the router; drivers for Intel and other Wi-Fi chipsets (for Windows) are only available from their respective vendors, not Windows Update. You’ve checked on those vendor sites you’ve got the latest drivers? Intel released updated drivers in late November and early December that make their chipsets compatible with the new WiFi 6 routers. Chipsets more than 2 years old won’t work with these new routers and will behave as if the 5 GHz isn’t working properly, just like you’re describing.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7