× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX40 SSID disappear

ytching
Tutor

RAX40 SSID disappear

My RAX40's ssid would disappear somtimes. During that case, I am able to access the UI through remote management. In the advanced page, I saw both 2.4G and 5G ssid showing empty. Normally, it should show the SSID I am using. After that, I try to disable the radio and enable it again. It's not work. The ssid still didn't appear. At the same time, I observed the SSID name changed to RAX40-pseudo and RAX40-5G-pseudo. At last, I reboot it and everything become normal again. It seems that the situation would appear when some old devices are trying to connect to the wifi. Did anyone see this before?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX40 SSID disappear

What firmware version are you on?
The RAX devices were released even before the AX spec was finalized so the firmware got significant changes. With that said, they've responded favorably to factory reset and reinstalls. Have you tried this?
Message 2 of 9
ytching
Tutor

It's the latest version. I also have factory reset it. In my network, there is another old model router configured as a wifi repeater. It is using realtek rtl8812ar as the chipset. I discover that everytime when the old router try to connect to the RAX40. The SSID will be disappeard. Besides, I also discover that when some old devices are trying to connect, it may also make the SSID disappear. Just like what I am saying. It seems that some old model wireless network cards would make the router unstable.  

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

@ytching wrote:

It's the latest version.-----a number helps. In case others are having the issue, or if support is watching these forums, or if it isn't the latest.  I also have factory reset it. In my network, there is another old model router configured as a wifi repeater. It is using realtek rtl8812ar as the chipset. I discover that everytime when the old router try to connect to the RAX40.----Does it only happen if the old repeater connects? Any issues if you leave the repeater off?  The SSID will be disappeard. Besides, I also discover that when some old devices are trying to connect, it may also make the SSID disappear. Just like what I am saying. It seems that some old model wireless network cards would make the router unstable.  

Message 4 of 9
ytching
Tutor

V1.0.3.80_1.0.1. Yes, when I take it out, it didn't happen again. However, there are still some minor problems. Most likely can be resolved by disconnect and connect the wifi again. I ignore it first...

Message 5 of 9
ytching
Tutor

There are still some annoying issues. Some of my devices are connected to the WiFi but it cannot access to the internet. In window 10 device, it just showed no internet , secured. In iPhone, it just cannot access to the internet. I have tried to ping gateway. However, no response from it. The problem solved until I reconnect the WiFi. It’s annoying especially recent time as I need to work from home. It usually sudden drop when I am having a conference.
Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

What modem is it connected to? 

How big is your home? 

What are the interior walls of your home made of? 

Message 7 of 9
ytching
Tutor

A ZTE modem provided by ISP. They just came and check today and said that no problem on it. My home is just around 500 ft. I don’t know what is it make of. However, my PC are always located at the same place which have no walls between the router and it. If I would like to reinstall the router, what are the step? I just realised I did not try a reinstall before. I just think that factory reset is equal to reinstall. I browsed and found that some model of netgear router can be reinstalled by using tftp. Can I apply the same step on RAX40 to try?
Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

@ytching wrote:
A ZTE modem provided by ISP.---Which modem? Some are modem router combo devices.  They just came and check today and said that no problem on it. My home is just around 500 ft. I don’t know what is it make of.---knock on it. plaster lathe/brick/concrete is a lot harder than sheetrock However, my PC are always located at the same place which have no walls between the router and it. If I would like to reinstall the router, what are the step? I just realised I did not try a reinstall before. I just think that factory reset is equal to reinstall. I browsed and found that some model of netgear router can be reinstalled by using tftp. Can I apply the same step on RAX40 to try?

I wouldn't go the route of tftp yet. I'd just try either reinstalling the current firmware over a hardwired connection or downgrading a version. I'd then factory reset and reinstall. 

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7