Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use a WiFi 6 Adapter and get WiFi 6 with my Modem/Router?

orbeavhawk
Aspirant

Can I use a WiFi 6 Adapter and get WiFi 6 with my Modem/Router?

I would like to install a WiFi 6 Adapter in my computer but I fear that it will be a waste of money - because I don't think my Netgear Modem/Router will support it.  I went to their Site to see if there might be an Update thhat wouuld give me 800.11 ax.....and found noo help or answers.  I HATE to think about having to purchase another Modem/Router....can someone here please educate me concerning this and tell me if there might be someway to do this w/o having to replace my present Modem/Router etc.??    THANKS!

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Can I use a WiFi 6 Adapter and get WiFi 6 with my Modem/Router?

What actual modem/router do you have? 

Wireless AX is a hardware change so if you only have an AC router, its not something that firmware will change. 

And what adapter were you thinking off adding? 

An intel AX210/AX200 isn't much more expensive than an AC adapter right now. 

Message 2 of 8

@orbeavhawk wrote:

I would like to install a WiFi 6 Adapter in my computer but I fear that it will be a waste of money - because I don't think my Netgear Modem/Router will support it. 

If you plan t replace the anonymous Netgear Modem/Router and ditch its wifi, you can put whatever router you want to use as a wifi source you like behind it.

The trick to getting that setup to work without problems, and using all of the features of your chosen router, is to work out how to put your existing Modem/Router into bridge (modem only) mode.

This is straightforward with DSL modem/routers.

Many cable modem/routers also support it. Dig out the manual for your device and look for a section with something like Cable Your Modem Router to a Router and Use Bridge Mode.

Is the Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0 listed in your footer involved in this in anyway? Or did you just click the first thing that popped up when you wrote your message?

If you have a modem/router with AC1900 wifi, then you should be on safe ground. Most modem/routers that support there will happily support bridge mode.

Message 3 of 8
orbeavhawk
Aspirant

THANKS so MUCH for taking the time to answer and suggest possibly the perfect solution too my dilemna.  I'm a low income Senor citizen

so IF I could pull this off and keep the modem/router, which is the: Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0, this would be ideal.  I don't think I have the Manual, if I ever did, will look....hopefully I can download it from their site.  I am definitely lookinng into this GREAT Option, now that you have come to my "RESCUE" with this previously unknow information!  GOD Bless YOU!    Mixchael

Message 4 of 8

@orbeavhawk wrote:

THANKS so MUCH for taking the time to answer and suggest possibly the perfect solution too my dilemna.  I'm a low income Senor citizen

First ask yourself what the problem is? Then ask will a new router fix it?

What Internet speed to do you pay?  Why do you want faster wifi?

@orbeavhawk wrote:

IF I could pull this off and keep the modem/router, which is the: Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0, this would be ideal. 

That is not a  modem/router. It is one of those USB things that people use to connect a PC to the wifi.

To see what the model number of the modem is, look at the label on it. Something like this:

model number

Message 5 of 8
orbeavhawk
Aspirant

WHOOPS!  Forgot to add the actual Model #:   C7000v2.    I dnlded the Manual and found all the pertinnent directions to BRIDGE it

as you told me and I believe that I would be aable too do this [if/when I decide to do it].

My present Interent Service fm Xfinity runs at @ 100Mbs......Reading alot about the potential speeds of WiFi 6 ... I was thinking that it may 

solve some of my buffering problems at times when I am Streaming ALL of my TV Service, that is thhe main reason, but now that I have read further....I think I am "jumping da gun", in reality, looks like it will not really be able to really do what it is capable of for sometime?  Whatever, this is so wonderful to now know that I will be able to go too WiFi6 w/o having to buy a new $500 Modem/Router!  Have a GREAT Day!  YOU have made my day alolt better - let me tell 'ya!

Message 6 of 8

@orbeavhawk

Forgot to add the actual Model #:   C7000v2.   

Perfectly capable modem./router.

@orbeavhawk

My present Interent Service fm Xfinity runs at @ 100Mbs......Reading alot about the potential speeds of WiFi 6 ... I was thinking that it may 

solve some of my buffering problems at times when I am Streaming ALL of my TV Service, that is thhe main reason

100 Mbps should not have buffering issues.

Even so faster wifi might not be the best option. If you have a decent and recent TV it may have a wired Ethernet port. If possible, plug from the router into that.

If not, where possible I use Powerline Ethernet. to use my household mains circuit as a substitute for running Ethernet cables all over the place. Easier to set up, and less fragile than wifi. Might even be cheaper

Message 7 of 8
orbeavhawk
Aspirant

TKS!  Sure appreciate learning of all this Tech stuff I never knew exsisted.  

I presently run Ethernet connections to maybe 6 different components in my home theater - including my LG OLED TV, it was a PAIN 

that's 4 sure running all those E. Cables.  Had never heard of what you suggested and will now check that out too....did take a quick look and

did not like price of $84.....but need to check this out!  Again.....Thanks!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7