Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting an R7000P Nighthawk to a BGW210-700. Having trouble reconnecting my Vivint security hub

RandomAttention
Aspirant

Connecting an R7000P Nighthawk to a BGW210-700. Having trouble reconnecting my Vivint security hub

I’ve had this setup for a few years and periodically get connection issues. Every time I think I have it sorted something else happens and I have to reboot both routers, which usually fixes the issue, but it’s still annoying. Originally, I had the wifi for the ISP off and just had everything connecting to the Nighthawk.

After doing some digging I saw that the ISP router should be in Passthrough mode and the Nighthawk should be in AP mode. After fixing, most settings worked, but not everything. I completely reset both devices cause I was having other issues as well. Then reconfigured ISP router into Passthrough mode (DHCPS-fixed) and put home router in AP Mode. These are the recommended settings for both devices. Last step I physically reconnected both devices. Nighthawk still can’t seem to “forget” a previously configured manual setting for the security hub and it remembers the MAC and address I assigned it as a 10.0.0.100 address.

Even though the router has been reset, it’s still seeing this old setting. I thought about just making the whole thing the 10 network to avoid troubleshooting any further, but the ISP router requires that its router is in the 192 network. Is there a CLI I can try to use that maybe the GUI isn’t covering? Resetting the security hub won’t fix the issue because it’s recognizing the MAC in the Nighthawk (under Setup -> LAN Setup when in router mode). This setting is no longer checked in the Nighthawk, but when you look at Access Control it shows up with the 10 address previously set. Additionally, the Vivint hub seems to be "dumb" in that I can't seem to reset the settings, whereas other devices, like a Roku will allow you to factory reset or network reset. TIA.

TL;DR - reset my R7000P into AP mode and everything else connected except my Vivint security hub.

Additional info:

Setting up the BWG Router - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZz6E8Xk_Hs

Setting up R7000P to AP Mode - How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

AC2300 WiFi Router (R7000P)  

#BGW210-700

#Vivint

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Connecting an R7000P Nighthawk to a BGW210-700. Having trouble reconnecting my Vivint security h

you've got it a little mixed up. 

If the BGW is in passthrough the R7000P should be in router mode. 

If the BGW is in router mode the R7000P should be in AP (access point) mode. 

I'd recommend putting the bgw in router mode with wifi disabled and the R7000P in AP mode because I see issues with the BGW in passthrough mode all the time

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Connecting an R7000P Nighthawk to a BGW210-700. Having trouble reconnecting my Vivint security h

you've got it a little mixed up. 

If the BGW is in passthrough the R7000P should be in router mode. 

If the BGW is in router mode the R7000P should be in AP (access point) mode. 

I'd recommend putting the bgw in router mode with wifi disabled and the R7000P in AP mode because I see issues with the BGW in passthrough mode all the time

Message 2 of 9
RandomAttention
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. I apologize if I wasn't clear; the BGW wifi has remained off and I have never used it dually or at the same time as the R7000P. You could be right about one needing the be the router, however, I have tried this setup previously, where the R7000P was in AP mode and the BGW in router/default mode. I also tried it again a couple of days ago when I started making changes again; and again, I was having connection issues with some of my devices.

I will configure the BGW as you recommended to see if I can get it working properly.

Thank you

Message 3 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@RandomAttention wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I apologize if I wasn't clear; the BGW wifi has remained off and I have never used it dually or at the same time as the R7000P. You could be right about one needing the be the router, however, I have tried this setup previously, where the R7000P was in AP mode and the BGW in router/default mode. I also tried it again a couple of days ago when I started making changes again; and again, I was having connection issues with some of my devices.

I will configure the BGW as you recommended to see if I can get it working properly.

Thank you

With all of the changes you have made, how long has it been since you did a complete power down and sequential startup of your network?

Power down the BFW and pull the power cord and disconnect the Ethernet cord to your router.  Power down your router and pull the power cord.

Give it all a few minutes to rest and drain off any residual settings.  Connect the power cord and boot up your BGW.  Give it ample time to boot and stabilize.  One of the last indicators should be showing an internet connection.  Now connect the Ethernet cord to the router and power it up.  Allow the router to fully boot and stabilize.  One of the last indicators on the router should be an internet connection.  Now proceed with your configuration and testing.

Message 4 of 9
RandomAttention
Aspirant

Message 5 of 9
RandomAttention
Aspirant

Please see the update I posted as a new comment. Essentially, tried many things, no change

https://www.reddit.com/r/NETGEAR/comments/11dxrqh/soho_bgw210700_to_an_r7000p_nighthawk_having

Message 6 of 9

@RandomAttention wrote:

Please see the update I posted as a new comment. Essentially, tried many things, no change

Where do we read that? You previous message was blank.

Message 7 of 9

@RandomAttention wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I apologize if I wasn't clear; the BGW wifi has remained off and I have never used it dually or at the same time as the R7000P.

Disabling the WiFi on the  BGW210-700 does not put it into bridge mode. I mention that because this is one of the pages that Google throws up.

It seems that this is a tricky device to handle. This seems to have worked for one owner of a Netgear router:

Solved: How do I setup bridge mode in the ARRIS BGW210-700 - NETGEAR Communities

Message 8 of 9
RandomAttention
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. This is essentially what I was doing the first time with the BGW and Nighthawk. The BGW was in Passthrough mode and the Nighthawk in AP mode. However, as @plemans mentioned (first response), they both can't be in Passthrough/AP mode. He recommended I put either the BGW in Passthrough and the Nighthawk in router mode, or vice-versa and the BGW in router mode and the Nighthawk in AP mode. This is the way it is currently setup; BGW in router mode and Nighthawk in AP mode. Everything connects perfectly except 1 device.

I had a long explanation of troubleshooting I did night before last and I don't know why it isn't in my comments. Essentially, I have tried everything everyone is recommending: rebooting, resetting both routers and starting from scratch, configuring both routers first before connecting, etc. It is a fact that our internet works and has worked in a plethora of configurations, some wrong/incorrect. But what started this was me trying to get this configured correctly and upon doing so now my Vivint security hub will not reconnect correctly to the Wifi.

A few weeks ago I thought it was a good idea to manually assign an IP based on the security hub's MAC in the Nighthawk of 10.0.0.100. Although I have reset both devices, now 2 times, including once 2 nights ago, the Nighthawk still registers this MAC address. The Vivint still connects to the Wifi, however, it's connecting under the old 10 network, so it's connected but not online. I have also rebooted that device and pulled it's battery multiple times and I get the same result. In my very long reply of troubleshooting that I can no longer find, I was asking if there is a CLI that I can access in the Nighthawk as the GUI doesn't appear to be working completely as it's still has this MAC registered in it's memory somehow. Even when the Vivint hub is "connected" the hub settings for the IP list it as manually set, meaning from the router. The only other thing I have left to do since resetting the Nighthawk is updating the firmware. I have it downloaded, but I haven't installed it yet. I am hoping that maybe that fixes this MAC address issue with the hub. I am still seeking assistance. Thank you.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7