Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How should I resolve the cause of 2.4GHz wifi not activating on Nighthawk X10 R9000?

koki0099
Aspirant

How should I resolve the cause of 2.4GHz wifi not activating on Nighthawk X10 R9000?

Router Model: Nighthawk X10 R9000 (02/2021~)

Firmware: v1.0.5.42

Hello.

I can't find 2.4GHz wifi on my R9000. 5.0GHz wifi comes on and off and is unstable. 

The light is off at 2.4 GHz and on and off at 5.0 GHz as in the state. However, I own the product wired and have no connection problems.

I tried the following, but could not solve this problem.

• Reboot.
  • Initialization to factory defaults.
  • Update firmware

Is there anything else I can do?

Message 1 of 9
Kitsap
Master

Re: How should I resolve the cause of 2.4GHz wifi not activating on Nighthawk X10 R9000?

Before I declared the hardware dead, I would go check out Voxel's firmware for the R9000.  Basically Netgear factory firmware with some polish.

Be sure and review the read me file on the Voxel download site.

Here is the thread over on Small Net Builders:  https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r9000-r8900-v-1-0-4-63hf.80444/   The download website URL is in the change log post.

Message 2 of 9

Re: How should I resolve the cause of 2.4GHz wifi not activating on Nighthawk X10 R9000?

@koki0099 wrote:

I can't find 2.4GHz wifi on my R9000.

What does that mean? Wifi clients can't see it?

The LEDs don't come on?

I see no mention of pressing the wifi on/off buttton.

Message 3 of 9
koki0099
Aspirant

@Kitsap 

Thank you for your mention.

I try it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

@michaelkenward 

I cannot see and select 2.4Ghz wifi on my PC.

The LED is also turned off. I have tried rebooting the router and pressing the wifi on/off buttton, but the symptoms have not been resolved.

Message 4 of 9
Kitsap
Master

Can you log in to the GUI to make changes to your router settings?

If yes, go to Basic -> Wireless Settings.  On that page there are check boxes to enable each of the wireless radios.  One for 2.4 GHz and one for 5 GHz.  Make sure they are both checked.  If they are grayed out, press the wireless on/off LED switch on the top of your router (press and hold for at least two seconds then release).  Rebooting the router will not change the state of the on/off LED. 

@koki0099 wrote:

The LED is also turned off. I have tried rebooting the router and pressing the wifi on/off buttton, but the symptoms have not been resolved.

Message 5 of 9
koki0099
Aspirant

@Kitsap 

I update firmware from the latest version to Voxel's one.

I also check it and try to press the wireless on/off LED switch.

But This problem doesn't be solved.

Message 6 of 9

@koki0099 wrote:

@Kitsap 

If you have problems with Voxel, ask them.

In your case, @Kitsap suggested that as a way of ruling out dead hardware. Maybe that is the conclusion.

If that isn't it, you could revert to the stock firmware – Netgear doesn't support alternative firmware – and try answering some of the other questions you were asked (see above) before you went down that road.

Message 7 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@koki0099 wrote:

@Kitsap 

I also check it and try to press the wireless on/off LED switch.

But This problem doesn't be solved.

Are you certain you know which one is the Wireless On/Off switch? 

It is a combination indicator and switch.  Press and hold for minimum two seconds and then release.  See attached screen snip with the red arrow.

Message 8 of 9

This is not a frivolous question.

Netgear's buttons confuse people who turn up here with that button "off" – cats and kids are among the suspects. They didn't realise that the LED is also a switch.

R9000wifiswitch.jpg

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7