Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it the R8300 router or the Modem or ????

css17
Aspirant

Is it the R8300 router or the Modem or ????

I have a problem that I believe is related to my modem, router or perhaps ISP and I can’t figure out which it is and hope that you can help me identify the troublemaker.  Here’s the background -

Over the past couple of months, I’ve been having trouble with sending/receiving emails in Outlook 2016 on my laptop.  I first noticed the issue with my backup program - Acronis True Image. I backup my personal folder daily to my external hard drive.  The backup is set to send me an email when finished with the results.  Occasionally, I wouldn’t receive an email.  I’d open ATI and check and the backup had run with successful results.  I found a setting within ATI that allowed me to send an email from online when my backups ran.  Sometimes I would get both emails and sometimes just the new online one.  Then I started noticing that when I clicked on Send/Receive All Folders I’d get an error message -     <see attachment A>

After receiving the error message if I clicked on Send/Receive All Folders again sometimes it would repeat with the same error message and sometimes it would respond correctly.  It’s intermittent throughout the day.  So that started me off checking all of my settings in Outlook.  In the past, Microsoft has changed the server names for the POP and SMTP settings along with the Port numbers.  I verified that all settings were current and correct.  I ran SCANPST, I checked the size of my PST file, I made sure that all software updates were current for everything.  I checked my network adapter, connected to Ethernet.  Everything was ok.  Then I started noticing trouble accessing different websites online occasionally – it couldn’t find the site – then it would resolve itself and access the sites fine.  I considered reinstalling Windows, however, for a variety of reasons decided to hold off on this route.  I’ve also turned off my antivirus program with no difference.

I had to go up to Seattle (from Oregon) for a week and took my laptop with me.  I had absolutely NO problems while there.  I even set up my backup software to backup my folder to my desktop in lieu of my external drive.  I received both emails every day.  No problems accessing websites online. (ISP was Comcast).  I come back home and sure enough the problems are back.  So now I’m looking at the hardware outside of my laptop.  I have verified that the software on my router is current.  The modem is from my ISP and was replaced earlier in the year due to increased internet speeds from them that the old modem couldn’t handle.

Here are my specs:

System:  

Lenovo Thinkpad P70

Intel Xeon CPU E3-1505M 8M Cache, 3.70 GHz

64.0 GB installed memory

Samsung 1 TB SSD

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 Network Adapter

Netgear Nighthawk X8 – AC5000 Tri-Band WIFI Router Model R8300 – Purchased 08/2017

Netgear AC750 Dual-Band WiFi Range Extender – Model EX6100 – Purchased 08/2017

Spectrum DOCSIS 3.1 Modem Model EU2251 -- Replaced 03/2023

ISP – Spectrum

Software:

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045

Microsoft Office Professional 2016

VIPRE Advanced Security

Acronis True Image 2018

Then I started getting the following error message from Outlook:   <see attachment B>

I started looking online for anything that might help me figure out where the problem is.  But I admit this is getting outside of my comfort zone.  A lot of articles start with Pinging, NSLOOKUP, Powershell, all of which I did.  When I had trouble, I’d run these commands. 

<see attachments C, D, E>

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping smtp.office365.com

Pinging EAT-efz.ms-acdc.office.com [52.96.166.34] with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 52.96.166.34: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=236

Reply from 52.96.166.34: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=236

Reply from 52.96.166.34: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=236

Reply from 52.96.166.34: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=236

Ping statistics for 52.96.166.34:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 26ms

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping outlook.office365.com

Ping request could not find host outlook.office365.com. Please check the name and try again.

Ping request could not find host outlook.office365.com. Please check the name and try again.

Pinging EAT-efz.ms-acdc.office.com [52.96.164.66] with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 52.96.164.66: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=237

Reply from 52.96.164.66: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=237

Reply from 52.96.164.66: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=237

Reply from 52.96.164.66: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=237

Ping statistics for 52.96.164.66:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 27ms

Please NOTE:  not all commands were taken at every problem arising

Then when Vipre went to update security definitions I received this message:

<see attachment F>

Never had a problem before with Vipre unable to update.  I looked around for some network tools that might be able to help me but after looking at some of the screenshots and discussions it’s all above my head and seems more suited for business or larger networks than mine.

There are 2 laptops, 2 iPhones, 1 Sony TV, 1 Sony Soundbar, 2 Epson Printers, 1 Netgear Extender, 1 Rabbit Air filter system, and 1 iPad on the network.  Time of day doesn’t seem to matter – though my ATI backup always occurs daily at 7:00 pm.   All other issues have been at random times – including 2:00 am.  There has been no new software or hardware added.  I cannot tie it to any update.  I have no problem replacing the router/extender if need be.  I see that routers generally seem to have a life-span of 5 years or so and mine has been active for just about 6 years.  It is not on Netgear’s End of Life list (though I see that the extender is) but it is not on their website for sale either.  I just don’t want to replace the router if that’s not the problem.  BTW, yes, I have reset the modem and router several times.  The modem is only 3 months old and no noticeable connection to its install to the problems arising.  One troubleshooting article said to connect the laptop directly to the modem to access the internet.  I’ve tried two different ethernet cables and I get no response from the modem when directly connected to it.  However, if I insert the router back into the mix the ethernet connection works fine with either cable to my laptop.

I’m not sure what to try next.  If you have any thoughts or suggestions for me, I would really appreciate you sharing them with me.  Also, if your suggestion is to replace the router do you have any recommendations for my type of network.  

Message 1 of 31

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: Is it the R8300 router or the Modem or ????

@css17 wrote:

Yes, the DoS attack entry was in the router log file and has only happened the one time.  It looks like it was related to Google and I do use Chrome as my browser.

Still no logs being sent via email but at this point it's not worth it to me to try and track it down.  I did change the email in the router settings back to my Outlook one  as I really don't want anything tied to an ISP email again if I can help it.  Had that task of changing our emails from Comcast when we moved from Seattle to Oregon and only had Charter (Spectrum) to choose from.  What a pain....

I am definitely a list maker and identifying the devices attached to the router and putting them into Excel with their pertinent information is a good idea.  I will do this and be sure to check out each new device that I add to the network in the future.  Since the "Device Name" issue is known and kicked around I'm not going to worry about it.  I just thought if it was an easy thing to do I'd stick a name in there that meant something to me.   I just wish that everybody would play nice together.  It was so much easier when it was just IBM hardware and software.  I'd just call our IBM system rep when I needed help.  Now, in the PC arena there are so many different hardware and software components it's hard to know who to contact or even how to drill down to the right piece of hardware/software causing the problem. 

Which brings us full circle.  I started here not knowing whether it was my modem, router or ISP that was causing my Outlook and Acronis issues.  I never would have figured out the different settings within the router and things to try without all of your help.  If I had gone out and bought a new router and/or replaced the modem I'd more than likely still be experiencing the same problems.  The send/receive errors in Outlook 2016 have disappeared and all of the emails sent from Acronis have arrived just as they should.  And I've learned a bit more about router settings and how all of this stuff works together (or, at least is supposed to).  I've documented everything I've changed so I have it as a reference point in case this pops up again.  

I want to thank you both for helping me out and explaining things to me.  I may not have been in the right spot but intuitively knew that someone here would have the knowledge to help me work through it.  Thanks for sharing your time and experience with me. 

All the best - Carol

An ongoing education is why this place exists, and it goes both ways.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 31 of 31

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

Some thoughts.  Specifically what is the brand name and model number of your ISP modem?  Is there a possibility it is a combination device that is both a modem and a router?  Check to see if there are multiple LAN output ports on the back when you look for the model number.  Does it also broadcast a Wi-Fi signal?

On your computer, go to Settings -> Network & Internet -> Status and confirm the Network Profile is set to Private and not to Public.

In your router configuration, go to the Advanced tab -> Advanced Setup -> IPv6 and confirm IPv6 is enabled.  Internet connection should be set to Auto or possibly DHCP.  Do you know if your ISP supports IPv6?

Message 2 of 31
css17
Aspirant

Hello, I checked the modem which actually doesn't have a brand name on it other than Spectrum.  I've attached the spec sheet from Spectrum.  It's a DOCSIS 3.1 Modem Model EU2251.  No, it's not a combination device.   When I plug an ethernet cable from the modem directly to my laptop nothing happens.  There is no connection at all to the internet.  There are two phone jacks, one power and cable outlets and one ethernet jack.  

Yes, the network profile is set to private. 

Spectrum does support IPv6.  The router was set to Disabled for IPv6.  I poked around on the Spectrum site about IPv6.  They had a link to "test your device's compatibility" to connect to IPv6.  (http://test-ipv6.com/ ).  I changed the settings on the router to Auto Detect with Auto Config for the IP Address Assignment, and to DHCP with Use the DHCP Server for the IP Address Assignment and then DHCP with Auto Config for the IP Address Assignment, etc.  After each change on the router, I ran the "Test your IPv6 Connectivity".  The results are at the end of the Spectrum document.  There were some errors initially.  I’m not sure if that points us in a direction or not. 

Message 3 of 31

I am having a hard time understanding what is going on here, not helped by the generic subject and a long and complicates message that doesn't seem to have much to do with sending email from Outlook which is, I gather, the issue.

This bit stood out:

@css17 wrote:

Over the past couple of months, I’ve been having trouble with sending/receiving emails in Outlook 2016 on my laptop.  I first noticed the issue with my backup program - Acronis True Image.

What has Outlook got to do with sending email in Acronis?

I found a setting within ATI that allowed me to send an email from online when my backups ran.  Sometimes I would get both emails and sometimes just the new online one. 

Acronis neither know nor cares about your email client. It does need to know how to work with the SMTP service for your email service. Not all email operators are happy to let other services use their SMTP servers.

In my case, I use smtp-mail.outlook.com. (I have an Outlook 365 subscription, but I gather that  Outlook also has free email.)

I have also used GMail's SMTP servers for log reporting.

When it comes to Netgear routers, they seem to vary in the SMTP servers that work.

As I said, this is all wild guesswork on my part, based on not understanding why you think Outlook is involved in whatever is going in at your end.

My guess is that @Kitsap is equally puzzled and has pointed to the usual problems with routers.

Message 4 of 31
Kitsap
Master

@css17 wrote:

Hello, I checked the modem which actually doesn't have a brand name on it other than Spectrum.  I've attached the spec sheet from Spectrum.  It's a DOCSIS 3.1 Modem Model EU2251.  No, it's not a combination device.   When I plug an ethernet cable from the modem directly to my laptop nothing happens.  There is no connection at all to the internet.  There are two phone jacks, one power and cable outlets and one ethernet jack.  

Yes, the network profile is set to private. 

Spectrum does support IPv6.  The router was set to Disabled for IPv6.  I poked around on the Spectrum site about IPv6.  They had a link to "test your device's compatibility" to connect to IPv6.  (http://test-ipv6.com/ ).  I changed the settings on the router to Auto Detect with Auto Config for the IP Address Assignment, and to DHCP with Use the DHCP Server for the IP Address Assignment and then DHCP with Auto Config for the IP Address Assignment, etc.  After each change on the router, I ran the "Test your IPv6 Connectivity".  The results are at the end of the Spectrum document.  There were some errors initially.  I’m not sure if that points us in a direction or not. 

The Spectrum branded modems are manufactured by Hitron.  Yes, it is a modem only.

To check your internet connection just through the modem to your computer, you would need to power down both and boot them up in sequence.  Power up the modem first with no Ethernet connections and allow plenty of time to stabilize, then connect to your computer and boot the computer.  It may take several minutes for your ISP to assign an IP address to your computer.

E-mail send and receive goes through your Domain Name Servers to find the mail server addresses.  IPv6 is part of the DNS system at the ISPs.  If you have access through your ISP, use it.

Many of the free e-mail address outlets, Google for gmail and Microsoft for hotmail to name two and some ISPs, have cut off access to their mail servers by iOT devices and other sources.  Too many devices like cameras, thermostats, weather stations and etc. sending e-mail.  If you use a gmail domain for your received e-mail, you will have to go in to your gmail account and specifically generate a special password to allow access to send e-mail by third party devices or programs.  Comcast has similar settings for their e-mail accounts.

Different internet access on the road as compared to at home.

What is the domain (part after the @ symbol) for the e-mail address where you are experiencing the issues?

Message 5 of 31

@Kitsap wrote:

Many of the free e-mail address outlets, Google for gmail and Microsoft for hotmail to name two and some ISPs, have cut off access to their mail servers by iOT devices and other sources. 

Does that apply to programs like Acronis?

I use Outlook for that. Works fine. But I pay an annual fee.

Another complication with these smtp services is that they change their authentication procedures from time to time.

What are we to make of this bit of the first message?

I’ve been having trouble with sending/receiving emails in Outlook 2016 on my laptop.

If we are both correct in assuming that this is an smtp issue, it has nothing to do with routers or modems, the "subject" of this discussion. Nor is there any link to Outlook, the email client.

Message 6 of 31
Kitsap
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Kitsap wrote:

Many of the free e-mail address outlets, Google for gmail and Microsoft for hotmail to name two and some ISPs, have cut off access to their mail servers by iOT devices and other sources. 

Does that apply to programs like Acronis?  I am not familiar with how Acronis is configured for external e-mail.

I use Outlook for that. Works fine. But I pay an annual fee.  As do I.

Another complication with these smtp services is that they change their authentication procedures from time to time.

What are we to make of this bit of the first message? 

I’ve been having trouble with sending/receiving emails in Outlook 2016 on my laptop.

Unlikely anything to do with the actual client program but everything to do with how the program is configured.  Several variables such as incoming and outgoing e-mail server names, port assignments, and SSL/TLS authentication protocols.  Also POP/IMAP e-mail comes in to play.  Unlikely anything to do with the actual client program but everything to do with how the program is configured.  Several variables such as incoming and outgoing e-mail server names, port assignments, and SSL/TLS authentication protocols.  Also POP/IMAP e-mail comes in to play.

I considered it part of the discussion as to how to configure the router to send external e-mail.  Either manually or on a schedule.

If we are both correct in assuming that this is an smtp issue, it has nothing to do with routers or modems, the "subject" of this discussion. Nor is there any link to Outlook, the email client.

Message 7 of 31
css17
Aspirant

First of all, I apologize if I'm not in the right place to troubleshoot my problem.  I'm not sure where I should be as I can't isolate the problem to a particular thing and it's intermittent. 

I have checked and double-checked the settings regarding POP3/SMTP. It was the first thing I did since Microsoft has changed these settings on me before.  I use myname@outlook.com for my email address.   So I also access my emails online at Outlook.live.com.  I have attached a document showing my settings in Outlook.live.com, current Outlook settings found on Google,  my Outlook 2016 settings on my laptop, and the email settings from Acronis True Image for my backups.  There is a feature in Acronis to test email settings for notifications.  When I tried to send the test message it failed.  I tried my other backups.  Some worked, some failed.  All had the same settings.  So I went to Outlook 2016 and did a Send/Receive and it failed consistently.  It finally worked correctly so I went back to Acronis and tried the test emails for the ones that had failed and they now all worked fine with no changes to the settings.  

I'm at my wits end - if it's not the modem or router, and my email settings are correct and unchanging, what is causing them not to work - intermittently?  Plus, it's not only my emails that aren't working correctly.  Vipre was unable to connect to its server to receive current updates.  Never had a problem with it before.  When I tried to connect back here, it gave me an error message and then connected.  It was so quick I couldn't get a screen shot.  This has been happening with other websites as well.  They originally fail to connect properly, resolve themselves and display correctly.  This has all started happening since the Outlook issue.  Which should have nothing to do with my email settings.  Which is why I was looking at the modem/router.  Especially, since I was in Seattle for a week and everything worked fine.  If its settings on my laptop why would they work ok in Washington but not in Oregon?  (and yes, I know it was a different ISP, router and modem - which is what pointed me in this direction).

I didn't go to Microsoft because the problems are not all Office related.  I thought about trying Spectrum but honestly thought I'd get better help here in the router group.  I really do appreciate your help - even if I'm in the wrong area!!

Message 8 of 31

We still don't know what the problem is.

For example. I can see no explanation of what this means:

What problems do you have sending emails?

Forget about Acronis and the use of SMTP.

What happens when "send email" goes wrong?

Do the emails not go?

Do you see any error messages?

Do not throw in "diagnostic details" that seem to have nothing to do with the problem.

Message 9 of 31

@Kitsap wrote:

Does that apply to programs like Acronis?  I am not familiar with how Acronis is configured for external e-mail.

Bog standard use of SMTP, much like that used in Netgear's log sending.

michaelkenward_0-1687379679815.png

Message 10 of 31
Kitsap
Master

@css17 wrote:

First of all, I apologize if I'm not in the right place to troubleshoot my problem.  I'm not sure where I should be as I can't isolate the problem to a particular thing and it's intermittent. 

I have checked and double-checked the settings regarding POP3/SMTP. It was the first thing I did since Microsoft has changed these settings on me before.  I use myname@outlook.com for my email address.   So I also access my emails online at Outlook.live.com.  I have attached a document showing my settings in Outlook.live.com, current Outlook settings found on Google,  my Outlook 2016 settings on my laptop, and the email settings from Acronis True Image for my backups.  There is a feature in Acronis to test email settings for notifications.  When I tried to send the test message it failed.  I tried my other backups.  Some worked, some failed.  All had the same settings.  So I went to Outlook 2016 and did a Send/Receive and it failed consistently.  It finally worked correctly so I went back to Acronis and tried the test emails for the ones that had failed and they now all worked fine with no changes to the settings.  

I'm at my wits end - if it's not the modem or router, and my email settings are correct and unchanging, what is causing them not to work - intermittently?  Plus, it's not only my emails that aren't working correctly.  Vipre was unable to connect to its server to receive current updates.  Never had a problem with it before.  When I tried to connect back here, it gave me an error message and then connected.  It was so quick I couldn't get a screen shot.  This has been happening with other websites as well.  They originally fail to connect properly, resolve themselves and display correctly.  This has all started happening since the Outlook issue.  Which should have nothing to do with my email settings.  Which is why I was looking at the modem/router.  Especially, since I was in Seattle for a week and everything worked fine.  If its settings on my laptop why would they work ok in Washington but not in Oregon?  (and yes, I know it was a different ISP, router and modem - which is what pointed me in this direction).

I didn't go to Microsoft because the problems are not all Office related.  I thought about trying Spectrum but honestly thought I'd get better help here in the router group.  I really do appreciate your help - even if I'm in the wrong area!!

You are in a good area and you are fine here.

All internet communications go through a Domain Name Server (DNS).  When you are at home they go through the Spectrum DNS unless you have specified something different in your router configuration.  Such as the DNS from Google, Open DNS, Cloudflare, or Next.  When you were in Washington you would be using the DNS from the ISP at the location you were staying.  Within your home router configuration you can configure primary and secondary DNS options for both IPv4 and IPv6.  They are in different locations in the user interface.  Attached are some options for DNS servers you can use and test.  I am in the Seattle area and personally I use Next DNS as my primary and my ISP DNS as secondary.

When I look at your settings file the only thing that stood out is you sometimes specify STARTTLS and other times specify SSL/TLS.  I use Office 365 and these are two distinctly different configuration options.  My Office 365 settings for Comcast use incoming server port 995 encrypted for SSL/TLS and outgoing server port 465 encrypted for SSL/TLS.

Message 11 of 31
css17
Aspirant

I have the router set for Domain Name Server Address to "Get Automatically From ISP" - which in my case is Spectrum.

The addresses are 71.10.216.1 and 71.10.216.2

While I was there, I looked at the router log file.  I clicked on send but nothing happened.  I do have the email set up in the router.  There were "[email failed] internet connection is dropped and [email failed] Send hello first in the log.  The entries at the top were more than likely from my attempt to send the log based on the timestamp.  However, later entries in the log were not caused by my trying to send the log.  See Router logs attached.  I don't know if this is related or not and I hate to add new problems but I'm hoping that it is all somehow related and will help drill us down to the real issue(s).  

Also, when I was coming back here to the Netgear community I received one of the ongoing messages that I have started receiving for other websites - again, the problem is intermittent.  And, it resolved itself after a few seconds and displayed the web page correctly.  I attached the screenshot at the end of the attached document.

The STARTTLS setting for smtp (port 587) and SSL/TLS for POP3 (port 995) were gotten from Microsoft for Office 2106.  In Acronis I do not have a STARTTLS option for the SMTP settings.  I have None, SSL, TLS,  and TLS (if possible) as selections.  Why I chose TLS long ago I can't remember now - probably because it worked.  That is what is driving me crazy.  If it's the settings - in whatever product, why do they work sometimes and not others?  I've made no changes to any settings in forever.  Basically, when it comes to the network stuff if it works I leave it alone.  

The problem in Outlook 2016 is when it is sending/receiving emails - either, automatically or by me clicking on the Send/Receive button - it responds with an error - generally, it is in the receiving part that generates the error. I receive two different error messages (not at the same time): 

Task 'myname@outlook.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0D): 'Cannot find the email server.  Verify the server information in your account properties."  

and

Task 'myname@outlook.com - Receiving' reported error (0x80040900): 'The server name you entered cannot be found on the network (it might be down temporarily).  Verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.'

I know that Outlook.live.com can be down at times but it doesn't seem to be the case here.  Also, occasionally, an outgoing mail item will sit in the Outbox and not be sent out.  Usually, on a later send/receive it will go out fine.  These errors are intermittent but occurring more often.  The emails from Acronis stopped showing up (again, intermittently) at the same time I noticed the sending/receiving errors.  And the website issues started at the same time as well, for what that's worth.   And as a side note, I had trouble attaching the Router logs.  It basically indicated that it was uploading but just spun and did nothing.  I finally deleted the whole reply and tried reattaching the log file first before the message and it attached fine.  

Message 12 of 31
Kitsap
Master

The send/receive error messages you are receiving in Outlook 2016 are the result of your DNS server not being able to resolve the server names you have configured for incoming and outgoing mail.

The same goes for the error messages you receive when you try to access the community.netgear.com site.  What web browser are you using?

The DNS servers from my ISP normally function fine up until the time they do not.  When they do not, it is always at a very inconvenient time.

I have chosen to configure my router primary DNS, both IPv4 and IPv6, to use Open DNS.  For my router secondary DNS, both IPv4 and IPv6, I use my ISP DNS.  For test purposes you might give it a try.  It is an easy change to make or to undo if you do not like it or it doesn’t help.   

Router configuration page snips attached.

Looking at your Outlook.live.com configuration screen, I am surprised it will allow your account to be configured for both POP and IMAP at the same time.  Is there a specific reason you are configuring for both?  Usually, you choose one or the other, not both.  When you select both, it could cause problems with the server name and port numbers you configure in the router or in the Outlook 2016 client application.

I have my Office 365 Outlook application configured for several e-mail addresses.  All the e-mail servers are configured for POP type.  If I try to add another address account that is set for IMAP, it corrupts the whole configuration.  That is an Ah-Ha moment I have experienced personally.

As an option for your Outlook.com e-mail address, you could configure one type or the other, reconfigure your router e-mail, and test to see if it helps.

Message 13 of 31
css17
Aspirant

I'm using Google Chrome.  

I have changed my router settings for IPv4 to Open DNS primary and Spectrum as secondary.  I don't have an option for a third.  I set up IPv6 using DHCP as Internet Connection Type and Open DNS primary and Spectrum as secondary and the IP Address Assignment to Use DHCP Server.  After I applied them I tried to log back in and received "This page isn't working.  www.routerlogin.net didn't send any data  ERR_EMPTY-RESPONSE".  So I logged in with my 192.etc number and got back in.  Everything looked ok so when in doubt reboot.  And then I rebooted the laptop as well.  Was able to login back in to the router with the www address.  

In Outlook.live.com I didn't set up both POP and IMAP.  In settings >Sync email you select whether or not to let devices and apps to use POP.  If you select YES then all three configuration settings show.  If you select NO then only IMAP and SMTP settings show.  I think they are there as a reference for the setting info only as you can't change them.  Why the IMAP setting doesn't disappear when you select POP I don't have a clue.  Also strange is that is shows Encryption Method as TLS for POP however, on Microsoft's website it shows the Encryption method to be SSL/TLS which is what I have check marked in my Office 2016 POP Account settings.  

I'll let you know what happens with these new settings.  Thanks for the examples as well!

Message 14 of 31

@css17 wrote:

The STARTTLS setting for smtp (port 587) and SSL/TLS for POP3 (port 995) were gotten from Microsoft for Office 2106.  In Acronis I do not have a STARTTLS option for the SMTP settings.  I have None, SSL, TLS,  and TLS (if possible) as selections. 

That isn't right for outlook.com as the smtp server.

I posted my setting earlier. I left out sensitive details. You add your User Name and Password to complete the process.

I  use the same outlook server for Netgear to send router logs.

You can tell Acronis to send emails to whatever email address you like.It may be that your Outlook client is seeing an error from that.

Fortunately, there is a helpful Send test message button in Acronis. You get a green tick if it works.

Netgear's log set up isn't so helpful. But the log itself will show an entry along the lines:

[email sent to: email@address] Thursday, Jun 22, 2023 09:00:02

If nothing else this will remove that SMTP issue from the equation.

Message 15 of 31
css17
Aspirant

Outlook.live.com and Microsoft itself shows the SMTP setting to be: smtp.office365.com and not smtp-mail.outlook.com.  However, I did another google search and found a different Microsoft website that said the SMTP setting should be smtp-mail.outlook.com.  (Give me strength!)  Up until recently, my setting has been working fine.  I double checked my records and apparently in January of 2022 I changed the settings for POP3 and SMTP from Pop3.live.com and Smtp.live.com to the ones I now am using.  

One of my searches showed both smtp settings.  I've attached a printout of the page.  I'm assuming since I use Outlook as my email provider that smtp.office365.com is correct for me.  

Yes, I use the Send Test Message in Acronis.  And that's part of the frustration.  Sometimes it works fine.  Then the next time it doesn't.  I have five backups and I tested each one yesterday.  Two worked and three didn't.  And they are all configured the same. Then later in the day they all worked.  So whatever is causing the test message not to send is probably what is causing my "real" notifications not to always send after the backup is completed.  

I just sent a test message and then went to the router log.  This is the only thing that showed up:  

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.7)] to MAC address 3A:77:E8:A5:68:1B, Thursday, Jun 22,2023 17:46:50

I have everything selected to include in the log.  The above message in the log is beyond my knowledge base.  

The send log feature from the router still didn't send a log.  My outgoing mail server is set to smtp.office365.com.  

Message 16 of 31
Kitsap
Master

The re-branding of products, like outlook.com, live.com. and office365.com is a continuous process with Microsoft being the leader of the pack.  Trying to keep all of the pages updated that are available to a web search is impossible.

I noted in one of your router setting attachments you were sending a log every hour.  You might back off to once every 24 hours to see if that makes a difference.  Still, the send log button should work and be quick to respond.  Be sure and click on the refresh button after you click on send log before you decide it failed. 

Microsoft settings can be finicky at times.  Do you have a non outlook.com e-mail address you could configure temporarily for testing?

Message 17 of 31
css17
Aspirant

I hit the send button again for the log and did a refresh and still haven't received anything.  So I changed the Router log setting to Daily and put in my gmail.com address.  

On a positive note, after changing the DNS settings, I didn't receive any Outlook 2016 errors from Send/Receive today nor any website problems, other than the Acronis website being rather slow.  But I hardly ever visit the site so it may be normal for them.  And I did receive the Notification email from Acronis after my 7:00 pm backup but as I do receive them sometimes it's not concrete proof that all is ok with that, yet.  But I'm hopeful!

I can only imagine the nightmare to try and keep everything up-to-date on the internet, or even their own website - especially since they have so many different forums.  When searching for something like this I do try and look for something that is dated fairly current as opposed to using something from 2017, etc. Still, it does get to be confusing - especially in an area where you're weak in.  When I worked on IBM mainframes/software, IBM's VTAM networking software was always my nemesis.  When we ventured into the PC/LAN arena I was so glad to have skilled staff members to take care of the networking for that.  I can install hardware/software but anything to do with the internal structure of all the network pieces drives me crazy.  So I really do appreciate all of the help! 

Message 18 of 31

@Kitsap wrote:

The re-branding of products, like outlook.com, live.com. and office365.com is a continuous process with Microsoft being the leader of the pack.  Trying to keep all of the pages updated that are available to a web search is impossible.

Oh so true. And add that they change the security settings from time to time and what happens today may fail tomorrow. They do this to plug holes that surface. While that is usually essential, it can screw up things that have happily worked for years.

Everyone is pushing "2FA" these days, adding another layer of complexity.

These changes are also make it difficult for people like Acronis to keep up with. In those cases, it can be a good idea to resort to the software's own consumer group. Netgear's settings rarely come into the picture, unless you are using SMTP there too.

Message 19 of 31
Kitsap
Master

The choice of smtp server (outgoing e-mail) can sometimes be a moving target with authentication and port numbers.

If you use gmail smtp, you will have to configure your gmail account and generate their specific password needed to allow the connection.  Most likely you have a Spectrum e-mail address and you could use their smtp server.  The free smtp server associated with Outlook.com (Microsoft) has shown an erratic side.

It is good your DNS errors have settled down. 

Message 20 of 31

@Kitsap wrote:

The choice of smtp server (outgoing e-mail) can sometimes be a moving target with authentication and port numbers.

Oh so true. And some ISPs like to restrict the use of their SMTP servers.

Apart from playing around with tests in the device you want to use, is there any tool out there that would let someone test a server?

Having said that, the device seeking smtp access is another variable. In the past different Netgear routers have differed. A server that works with one router doesn't work with a different model.

Message 21 of 31
css17
Aspirant

First of all, both of my backups today generated emails.  No Outlook send/receive errors.

I did check in Acronis - one other thought they had was to put TrueImageHomeNotify.exe and TrueImageHomeService.exe into Vipre's Firewall Rules as trusted.  They were not previously in there at all.  So I added them. 

After that I went to Acronis and ran through my send test message cycle on all five backups.  The first one failed with a message I've not seen before.  I logged into the router and saw no error messages in the log.  However, the message (attached) [MW4PR04CA0054.namprd04.prod.outlook.com is in the log on prior days after [email failed] Send Hello First.  I continued testing the other backups, which worked fine.  I went back to the first one and it also worked fine.  I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with adding Acronis to the firewall rules or not.  Or if my intermittent problem is not quite as fixed as I hoped for.

I did set up the Netgear E-mail page to use my Charter email.  I used their outgoing mail server name rather than Outlook's.  But still no log, in spite of changing the setting to daily and selecting a time.  

Message 22 of 31
Kitsap
Master

You have been tweaking on this network pretty hard for the past couple of days.  Progress has been made.

Recommend you turn off your computer then power down (pull the power cord) for both your modem and router.

Give it a few minutes then power up the network in sequence from the outside in.  Power up the modem and give it plenty of time to connect and stabilize.  One of the last indicators you will see illuminate is the internet connection.  Power up your router and give it plenty of time to boot and stabilize.  One of the last indicators you will see illuminate is the internet connection.  Boot your computer and check your e-mail.

Give the whole network a couple of days to run and see how your notification e-mails are coming through.

One other thing to check is your spam/junk mail folders on your e-mail servers.  You have to log in to your web mail as you cannot see these folders through e-mail client programs.

Message 23 of 31

Good advice.

This saga tells me that Netgear should put some effort into updating the instructions for getting logs to work with SMTP servers.

An FAQ on the general issue might also help. It is rarely a router thing when it comes to other devices, but, as we have seen here, this is often the first place that people come to for help. (They do that for just about any problem that involved traffic through the router.)

Search - NETGEAR Communities – smtp logs

This is a bit thin on detail:

How do I configure my Nighthawk router to send me alerts or activity logs via email? | Answer | NETG...

I have just discovered a note I added to the login details I use for outlook.com. It reads:

Does not work with R7000P

Great.

Message 24 of 31
Kitsap
Master

@css17 wrote:

After that I went to Acronis and ran through my send test message cycle on all five backups.  The first one failed with a message I've not seen before.  I logged into the router and saw no error messages in the log.  However, the message (attached) [MW4PR04CA0054.namprd04.prod.outlook.com is in the log on prior days after [email failed] Send Hello First.  I continued testing the other backups, which worked fine.  I went back to the first one and it also worked fine.  I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with adding Acronis to the firewall rules or not.  Or if my intermittent problem is not quite as fixed as I hoped for.

Authentication errors can be associated with system time discrepancies.  In the router configuration under Advanced -> Administration, what are you using for the NTP server address?

If you are still using the Netgear default NTP server, you could improve by using one closer to home.  A web search will give you lots of background on NTP servers.  See attached.

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series