Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear r7000(AC1900) keeps dropping connection when i download

yabuduwa
Aspirant

Netgear r7000(AC1900) keeps dropping connection when i download

Netgear r7000(AC1900) keeps dropping connection when i download, the whole houses internet disconnects for few minutes and router reboots by itself. i tried to downgrade upgrade my firmware to .34 or .64, or the latest one, none of them worked, still dropping connection, please help!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear r7000(AC1900) keeps dropping connection when i download

What actual firmware version are you on? 

what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Are you on wireless or wired when you're having issues? 

is it only when 1 device downloads? or when all devices do it? 

Message 2 of 11
yabuduwa
Aspirant

V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 It is connected to the wall.

I have issue with both wired or wireless, all devices do it, it will only let the internet download few minutes before disconnecting the whole house.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway is it connected to?

Message 4 of 11
yabuduwa
Aspirant

It is not connect to a modem or gateway, i connect the internet wire from wall to router directly.
Message 5 of 11
yabuduwa
Aspirant

And when I download something now, I have to keep the download speed lower than 2000kb/s, by doing this I won’t lose my connection, but any higher download speed would disconnect the whole house and router reboots
Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

1. that wire is connected to something. 

2. when you changed firmwares, did you factory reset and do a clean install? (not from backup) thats key with the r7000

Message 7 of 11
yabuduwa
Aspirant

1. I live in an apartment, I’m not sure if there’s something connected behind the wall, but I connect the wire from wall to r7000 directly.
2. How should I perform that? So I did install the .42 firmware first and then factory reseted it by hold the reset button for 7 seconds, should i factory reset it first and then install? And what do you mean by clean install?

Thank you so much for helping!
Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

I get you plug it in directly. Call whoever your isp is and see whats on the other end of that. 

It could be the apartment is running its own router and just supplying all the apartments. Tought to know off limited info. 

in terms of clean install it just means to not use a backup configuration whenever changing firmware with the r7000. 

Message 9 of 11
BlondieSL
Guide

This is good info about the clean firmware update. For clarity, though, are you saying to upgrade firmware in this order? - do factory reset - do the upgrade Then, to get back your configuration, is there an issue, AFTER THE UPDATE, to "RESTORE" all config from the backup? Are you saying that we have to MANUALLY reconfigure everything all over again? I sure hope that there's no issue with restore after the update, because in my case, I have about 34 port forwarding items and a bunch of other configurations. Please confirm which is necessary. Thanks. P.S. I haven't updated this R7000/AC1900 since version 1.0.7.6. The reason, is long ago, I did an update and it really screwed things up. The router was just not stable after that. So I downgraded back to 1.0.7.6 and all was well again. But now, I'm noticing a lot of DoS attacks and I'm not wondering too, if that I'm also being hit with the announced Pre-Authentication Buffer Overflow security vulnerability. I'm trying to find info on how to confirm that (what to look for in logs or whatever) but specific info I can't seem to find. The DoS attacks are listed in the logs, at least. But no idea how to detect and confirm the Pre-Authentication Buffer Overflow security vulnerability. I was actually about to go and buy a new routing, suspecting that this router is on its last legs. But now after reading up on the issues and what the updates fix since 1..0.7.6, I'm thinking maybe the router is fine. HOWEVER, what happens is that the entire network comes down, including wireless, both bands as well as Ethernet. I notice that all the lights go out except the 2 or 3 that are connected to Ethernet. I have to reboot the router to get it back. I actually had to also power cycle the "HUB" (from the ISP) in order to force a new external IP. That also stops DoS attacks for a while. The research continues.
Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

I usually recommend the factory reset after the firmware change. And by clean install, not using the backup configurations. There's been enough firmware changes that sometimes old settings cause issues (even carried over through a backup). So before buying a new one, i'd try the install without restoring from a backup. It might take a little more time but it could save the router. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7