Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear r7800 - not getting gigabit via router but it is possible via the access point

Xander7800
Aspirant

Netgear r7800 - not getting gigabit via router but it is possible via the access point

Setup:

Modem (ziggo/Cable) --> Router R7800 --> Access Point R7800

About 25 devices (out of 45) are connected (most devices are connected via the AP with 2,4).

The Access Point provides wifi for the first and second floor. The router provides the wifi for the ground floor.

I also haven a spare R7800 (which was used for testing and replacing the router)

Problem

I may have reached a limit on the r7800 in router mode. Speedtest via the app is about 600-650Mb for the router.

The strange thing is that the access point can reach up to 950Mb via the same router that cannot go faster than 650mb.

All extra options are not in use (Download, Sharing, vpn etc), also the options that can limit the speed, such as QOS, Traffic meter and Access control. As mentioned above I have tried the spare (same issue, slightly slower - about 600Mb).

Is it possible that having about 25 devices connected (including the AP), using both wifi's etc is about the limit of this device. Because the R7800 in AP mode can reach up to 950Mb (which has al lot less roles / overhead). Or are there other options to optimize the device in router mode. I'm using the latest firmware.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: Netgear r7800 - not getting gigabit via router but it is possible via the access point

Since your Arris device is locked down and providing routing functions, you might consider configuring both R7800s as access points.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear r7800 - not getting gigabit via router but it is possible via the access point

How are you speed testing with the main R7800? 
How is the Basic and Advanced Wireless settings configured. 

Wired speed tests you shoul see near or just over 900Mpbs on the down.

Wireless, depending on wifi device design and support usually maxes out at around 300-500Mpbs on 5Ghz AC with 80Mhz channel width. If you enable the 160Mhz channel with to support 1733Mpbs on 5Ghz AC and IF your client devices also support 160Mhz, then you could see near 900Mbps and over on 5Ghz AC.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter.

The 2nd R7800 in AP would would be correct since it's ethernet connected to the 1st R7800 at 1000Mpbs. 

Message 2 of 12

@Xander7800 wrote:

Setup:

Modem (ziggo/Cable) -->

Make and model?

Message 3 of 12
Xander7800
Aspirant

Speedtesting is done via the Nighthawk app (Router and Accesspoint)

I experience the same cap via Wifi AC on the router (between about 600Mb. It can reach 650Mb briefly but then it 'maxes out' - it seems and drops to 500Mb).

Speedtesting via Wifi AC on the AP is about 750-800Mb (Standing close to it). Which is probably pretty good for wifi.

Router uses 160mhz

AP uses 80mhz now (because of DFS issue). The speedtest was done with 160 mhz.

Cablemodem

Arris TG3492LG-ZG

Ziggo is an Internet provider (cable) in the Netherlands (1000 down, 50 up)

Firmware versions

Router and accesspoint: V1.0.2.92

Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter etc. were and are not is use.

Message 4 of 12
Xander7800
Aspirant

Basic wireless (-V = Enabled)

Enable SSID Broadcast - V
Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence - V

WPA2-PSK [AES] - V

2,4 up to 800 (ch -6)

5 up to 1733 (ch - 48)

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices - V
Enable MU-MIMO - V
Enable HT160 - V

WAN

Disable IGMP Proxying - V

Disable SIP ALG - V

Nat filtering open (was secured - no difference in speed)

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

Try option #2 first...Thought I believe Arris supports option #1.

Message 6 of 12

@Xander7800 wrote:

Cablemodem

Arris TG3492LG-ZG

Ziggo is an Internet provider (cable) in the Netherlands (1000 down, 50 up)

The problem start there.

How to set Arris modem to bridged mode - YouTube

Message 7 of 12
Xander7800
Aspirant

Option 2 is the current situation.

Option 1 is an option but i cannot do it myself. Ziggo has give the modem its own interface and that option isn't available.

What I do not understand is that the AP can reach up to 950 via the router and modem, but the router cannot and needs the modem to be in bridge mode.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be tell if you could swap the R7800 locations with each other and see if the problem continues or moves with the 1st R7800 that is used to connect to the modem. 

Message 9 of 12
Kitsap
Master

Since your Arris device is locked down and providing routing functions, you might consider configuring both R7800s as access points.

Message 10 of 12
Xander7800
Aspirant

i do have an extra r7800 and did already swap that out. But is didnt use the AP R7800 to swap out.

Message 11 of 12
Xander7800
Aspirant

i might try this out, but this will take some time.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7