Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New router and effect of changing security setting from WPA to WPA2

Gini
Aspirant

New router and effect of changing security setting from WPA to WPA2

I am planning on upgrading our old router, and I'm seriously considering the Nighthawk AC R7000. When I do so, I plan to also upgrade our present WiFi security from WPA to the Nighthawk's default, WPA2-PSK (AES). I hope, however, to keep the old router's same SSID and password, changing only the security level. My thought is that all the client devices would thus be able to login in with no reconfiguring. but would this be the case, but is that the case?
Thank you for your help!
Gini

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Unless it is pretty old, it should support WPA2. In the devices wireless settings it should have the option to select the encryption, and you can see if it is in the list.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Wrong!

New security will require all new logins. Be sure all clients are capable of WPA2 otherwise you'll have to use WPA/WPA2

Message 2 of 6
Gini
Aspirant

Thank you for the prompt reply, even if it wasn't what I'd hoped to hear! I don't know how to determine whether each/every device I have can use WPA2, though. Should I opt for the less secure WPA/WPA2 to avoid any problems? Thanks again!
Message 3 of 6
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Unless it is pretty old, it should support WPA2. In the devices wireless settings it should have the option to select the encryption, and you can see if it is in the list.

Message 4 of 6
Gini
Aspirant

I don't even recall seeing encryption choices for things like my Kindles, tablets, Roku, etc., but I did find the R7000 manual online which said the default protocol was WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2PSK [AES}. That's supposed to handle older devices, too, even if that choice isn't quite as secure as just WPA2. Thanks for the help!
Message 5 of 6
rpoffen
Virtuoso

I think it is pretty safe to say that all smart phones, kindles, tablets, etc. support WPA2.

But setting mixed mode should be fine, the older protocols are less secure, but it takes more specialized equipment to break them, and your average hacker isn't going to go through all the neighborhoods scouring all the WiFi's looking for one to break into.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7