Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WiFi Router (R8000) DNS ISSUE

LeeGillie
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WiFi Router (R8000) DNS ISSUE

My router firmware version is: V1.0.4.84_10.1.84

I am having intermittent issues with DNS. I see this in a web browser. When I first go to a site it displays not available. but then a couple of seconds later it displays. It appears the first failure is because of a site not found error. For sites I go to frequently they always come up quickly. My dns server for my windows 11 desktop is my Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WiFi Router (R8000). IPCONFIG /ALL show "DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1" My desktop is direct wired to it. I have tried 2 different DNS settings on the router, but it seems to make no difference. 1 is to get automatically from ISP, and the other is to manually set 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4.

Using Fiddler to try to understand this. First time I try to browse to dji.com...

GET http://dji.com/ HTTP/1.1
Host: dji.com
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/114.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/avif,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8,application/signed-exchange;v=b3;q=0.7
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.9

The response is...

HTTP/1.1 502 Fiddler - DNS Lookup Failed
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2023 15:48:57 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Connection: close
Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate
Timestamp: 08:48:57.535

[Fiddler] DNS Lookup for "dji.com" failed. System.Net.Sockets.SocketException No such host is known

Then I immediately browse to dji.com again, and it connects completely without issue.

I am highly suspicious of the DNS provided by my router in this.

FWIW - This is my home computer, not on a domain, but rather a workgroup.

What may be causing this intermittent issue, how can I diagnose it, and more importantly how can I fix it?

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WiFi Router (R8000) DNS ISSUE

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What browser are you using? Happens in different browsers?

What happens if you enable IPv6 (Auto) on the router, save and apply, then reboot the router and power cycle the ISP modem/ONT and all connected devices. Be sure to clear all browser caches as well. 

Message 2 of 8
LeeGillie
Aspirant

I have xfinity/comcast as my ISP. I use my own xfinity approved modem:
The modem is: ARRIS Surfboard S33 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gigabit Cable Modem | Approved for Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Spectrum & More | 1 & 2.5 Gbps Ports | 2.5 Gbps Max Internet Speeds | 4 OFDM Channel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FMSC5WZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cable is CAT 6.

Doesn't matter which browser. I am a software developer, and I see it my own applications connecting to the outside. Sometimes after DNS resolution failure, I run my program again, and it works perfectly.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

There is a long standing DNS issue on NGs R series routers. Been on going since and we have sent this to NG for review. Others came up with a work around to enable IPv6 (Auto) seems to help for most users. Something to try. 

No idea if or when this will be finally fixed. We don't get that info here. 

Message 4 of 8
LeeGillie
Aspirant

This may be it?  My IPV6 was disabled. I enabled it, and set to auto config. Will see what happens, and will report back here.

Thanks so much for this!

- Lee

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

When you changed your DNS setting, did you also change the IPv6 DNS setting?

Message 6 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@LeeGillie wrote:

This may be it?  My IPV6 was disabled. I enabled it, and set to auto config. Will see what happens, and will report back here.

Thanks so much for this!

- Lee

Like @plemans says, you also have to configure alternate DNS settings for IPv6.  Attached may help.

Message 7 of 8
nickmcb
Initiate

This had hit the nail on the head, exactly same issue. I had spent weeks trying to sort this issue out. Unsure of the dark magic behind it but thank you @FURRYe38 for your wisdom across the many related articles. For numpties like me that need pictures here is where you can enable IPv6 on your router, you should use @Kitsap 's useful .PDF to fill in the gaps.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7