Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6S AC-4000 - no internet access

Loudon
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6S AC-4000 - no internet access

I have an AC-4000 that has functioned well for about 3 years. We recently had a very close lighting strike; our neighbor’s house was slightly damaged, but we only experienced a loss of internet connectivity. We have a ‘whole house’ surge protector installed, and the router and modem we connected to a UPS/surge protector (which may have been damaged, still trying to determine). The Nighthawk router successfully powers up and looks fine, but it will not connect to the internet. We are currently operating via the Netgear router that preceded the Nighthawk.

I have been through the manual but have not found anything that covers this situation. The Genie app will recognize the router, but I cannot login. I also cannot connect via the  ‘www.router login.net’ option.

Does anyone have a suggestion for restoring the internet connection?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a repair facility for these routers?

I would appreciate any help that can be provided. I can be reached directly at ‘retiredintn92@gmail.com’ .

Thank you.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6S AC-4000 - no internet access

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed? Press the reset button in back for 10 seconds then release. A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

What actual router do you have? AC4000 is a speed

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Are you able to connect to the routers gui through the browser and access it? 

Are you able to access the modem? 
Does internet work if directly connected to the modem?

Have you tried resetting both the modem and the router and starting over? 
Lightning is great at resetting devices improperly. 

Message 3 of 6
Loudon
Aspirant

FURRYe38 and Plemans,  thank you for the response. Basically, everything that you suggested has been tried with the exception of the IP change, which I can’t do since I can’t communicate with the router.

We’re doing fine on the old (previous) router for now. I’ll order another Nighthawk today or tomorrow. Thanks again.

Message 4 of 6

You never did say what the router was. (R8000P from around five years ago?) But my guess is that it doesn't matter.

There's nothing you can do to protect from lightning strikes. (Been there, done that.)

Surge protectors are fine for transient voltage spikes, but not for a megavolt shock that lasts for nanoseconds.

Do Surge Protectors Protect Against Lightning?

That's just one of many along the same lines.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

@Loudon wrote:

FURRYe38 and Plemans,  thank you for the response. Basically, everything that you suggested has been tried with the exception of the IP change, which I can’t do since I can’t communicate with the router.

We’re doing fine on the old (previous) router for now. I’ll order another Nighthawk today or tomorrow. Thanks again.

We still don't know what your actual setup is. 

It might not be a router issue. 
It might just need a reset or proper settings to connect to the modem. 

Or they could be bad. But without details there isn't much to go off. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7