Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk blocking SlingTV

mnoah66
Aspirant

Nighthawk blocking SlingTV

Hello all,

Seemingly overnight, SlingTV is not working on any of my devices.  I did a factory reset of the router and that did not work.  I plugged my laptop PC directly into the ISP modem and SlingTV worked.  Somewhere along the lines of the Nighthawk Router is SlingTV not working.  I've contacted both SlingTV and my internet service provider.  I've confirmed that my SlingTV account is working as I have no issues when using cellular data or from a different ISP/router altogether (relatives in another state).

I've seen some bits and pieces of help online, but nothing clear cut.  It seems that I may have to do some port forwarding on my router, but I have no idea what port.  Besides, that seems a bit overkill for what should be a simple service aimed at non-tech customers.

Any help is appreciated and I can provide quick feedback of solutions proposed!

Best,

Martin

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
mnoah66
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk blocking SlingTV

Sling is now working. I did not make any changes so confirms the issue was with Sling. Thanks everyone for the help!

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 24

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? Any built in router by chance.

If the service had been working and now it does, I presume that maybe the servce or service side could have had some intermittent issues and this would have not been a router issue. 

If uPnP is enabled then now Port Forwarding configurations are needed. 

@mnoah66wrote:

Hello all,

Seemingly overnight, SlingTV is not working on any of my devices.  I did a factory reset of the router and that did not work.  I plugged my laptop PC directly into the ISP modem and SlingTV worked.  Somewhere along the lines of the Nighthawk Router is SlingTV not working.  I've contacted both SlingTV and my internet service provider.  I've confirmed that my SlingTV account is working as I have no issues when using cellular data or from a different ISP/router altogether (relatives in another state).

I've seen some bits and pieces of help online, but nothing clear cut.  It seems that I may have to do some port forwarding on my router, but I have no idea what port.  Besides, that seems a bit overkill for what should be a simple service aimed at non-tech customers.

Best,

Martin

Message 2 of 24
mnoah66
Aspirant

The ISP modem is Comtrend VR-3030 (http://us.comtrend.com/products/vr-3030/)

The only thing I haven't done yet is a factory reset of the modem, but I fear that it won't work at all after I do that.

Message 3 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

IT appears that your ISP Modem may have a built in router. I would have the ISP service make sure that this feature is diabled or  the modem is fully bridged since you already have a router which is the NG router. Having two routers online can cause problems. 

If the modem can't be bridge fully, use it's DMZ for the NG routers IP address it gets from the modem. 

@mnoah66wrote:

The ISP modem is Comtrend VR-3030 (http://us.comtrend.com/products/vr-3030/)

The only thing I haven't done yet is a factory reset of the modem, but I fear that it won't work at all after I do that.

Message 4 of 24
mnoah66
Aspirant

Am I to bridget the modem or my NG router?  I currently cannot access the modem's GUI at 192.168.1.1  It redirects me to the NG Genie page...

Message 5 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact your ISP and ask for help and information regarding getting access to the modem. 

The modems IP address will be different from 192.168.1.1 which the NG router uses. 

Try 192.168.100.1

Contact your ISP. 

@mnoah66wrote:

Am I to bridget the modem or my NG router?  I currently cannot access the modem's GUI at 192.168.1.1  It redirects me to the NG Genie page...

Message 6 of 24
jsputra
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem which not allowed to connect the Sling TV through nET GEAR Nighthawk, I tried to connect to modem directly and it works.

Tried to connect using VPN and it works too.

JS

Message 7 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model of the ISP modem? Built in router by chance?

@jsputrawrote:

I'm having the same problem which not allowed to connect the Sling TV through nET GEAR Nighthawk, I tried to connect to modem directly and it works.

Tried to connect using VPN and it works too.

JS

Message 8 of 24
jsputra
Aspirant

modem Arris TM822

Message 9 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Is uPnP enabled on the router? Should be enabled.

Try setting NAT Filter from Secure to Open. Save settings. Power down the Sling device/app. Reboot the router fully. Then try the service again.

Message 10 of 24
jsputra
Aspirant

uPnP  enabled

NAT Filter from Secure to Open.  OPneed already

Saved and restart the apps but still no luck.

Message 11 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Has the Sling service been working at all with your router?

@jsputrawrote:

uPnP  enabled

NAT Filter from Secure to Open.  OPneed already

Saved and restart the apps but still no luck.

Message 12 of 24
jsputra
Aspirant

it works for 1 weeks.

This problem starting this morning.

Message 13 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact the Sling service support and help about this. If nothing has changed with the router and it's been working up to this point, this is a service issue.

@jsputrawrote:

it works for 1 weeks.

This problem starting this morning.

Message 14 of 24
jsputra
Aspirant

Great, thanks for trying anyway.

I just called Sling Support again just now.

Message 15 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you find out anything. Let them know that nothing has changed on the router and there service has been working up to this point.

@jsputrawrote:

Great, thanks for trying anyway.

I just called Sling Support again just now.

Message 16 of 24
jsputra
Aspirant

I'll keep you posted.

For now will use VPN for Sling.

Message 17 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted.

@jsputrawrote:

I'll keep you posted.

For now will use VPN for Sling.

Message 18 of 24
jsputra
Aspirant

Hey, the Sling Tv Works now. I thought the problem is not on the router but on their end.
Message 19 of 24
mnoah66
Aspirant

Awesome!  No such luck with me.  My ISP said that my modem is not a modem/router, it's only a modem.  So I am still at a loss.  I suppose I'll enable the VPN on the router.

Message 20 of 24
mnoah66
Aspirant

Sling is now working. I did not make any changes so confirms the issue was with Sling. Thanks everyone for the help!
Message 21 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad Sling got it working. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@mnoah66wrote:

Hello all,

Best,

Martin

Message 22 of 24
jsputra
Aspirant

Not sure why the modem only will affected the connection.

Message 23 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

If it's a modem only then it shouldn't. Seems like this was a Sling service issue that was resolved. 

@jsputrawrote:

Not sure why the modem only will affected the connection.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7