Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLZ HELP! What did Netgear Support do? Network Physical Address

helpplease2021
Aspirant

PLZ HELP! What did Netgear Support do? Network Physical Address

I've had non stop connection issues with Xfinity when I use Netgear Orbi routers/satellites and Netgear Nighthawk CM2000 modem. When I use Xfinity modem it works like magic.

Anyways, today Netgear Orbi support had me get the Physical Address off of the Netgear Nighthawk modem and put it as Router Mac Address on the Orbi at 192.168.1.1 instead of Use Default Address.

1) What exactly did this do? The modem is not a router so changing the Orbi RBR850 settings to say use my Network Physical Address from the modem as it's Router Mac Address doesn't make sense to me (not that I know much).

2) The guy tried to sell me on support packages for any device whatsoever. He said hold on while he figured out pricing. After a couple minutes the call dropped. I was busy doing something else as we just spent over an hour trying to solve connection issues. After calling me he called my girlfriend!!! Her phone would be on the wifi network at this time. I know the router settings at 192.168.1.1 show her phone as an attached device with it's own mac address/ip address or whatever, but at least on my end it doesn't show phone numbers so now I'm paranoid on how the heck he got her number and if him having wrote down the Physical Address of my modem means you could have access to all my passwords, etc?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: PLZ HELP! What did Netgear Support do? Network Physical Address

@helpplease2021 wrote:

I've had non stop connection issues with Xfinity when I use Netgear Orbi routers/satellites and Netgear Nighthawk CM2000 modem. When I use Xfinity modem it works like magic.

Anyways, today Netgear Orbi support ....

How did you get in contact with what you define as Netgear Orbi support?  Phone number, ticket number, ...? At least a support ticket number would be listed on your MyNetgear account on https://my.netgear.com -> My Support if that was any legit support.

Note: Anything you you search for "Netgear support" or "Orbi support" find on the Internet is Scam.

@helpplease2021 wrote:

...had me get the Physical Address off of the Netgear Nighthawk modem and put it as Router Mac Address on the Orbi at 192.168.1.1 instead of Use Default Address.

1) What exactly did this do? The modem is not a router so changing the Orbi RBR850 settings to say use my Network Physical Address from the modem as it's Router Mac Address doesn't make sense to me (not that I know much).

This does not make any sense. Duplicating a MAC address from an old router (because certain ISP allow just one specific MAC address, even if the modem or whatever CPE is rebooted, and ISP NOC intervention would be required) to a new router WAN/Internet interface would make sense. Duplicating the Modem MAC ot the router would create havoc - because the MAC address on both ends of a physical connection must be different.

Ref. #2 .... beyond of my non-physics capabilities. Very unlikley....

Message 2 of 3

Re: PLZ HELP! What did Netgear Support do? Network Physical Address

Who did you talk to?

If you called a number that you found with a web search, that almost certainly had nothing to do with Netgear.

Netgear itself does not provide paid for support. It farms that out to GearHead Technical Support.

GearHead Support

Web searches can deliver results that scream "Netgear support" at the top but that turn out to be anything but. Using them can be dangerous, for your network and your bank balance.

New buyers can initiate a support call through MyNetgear.

If you login to mynetgear, can you see your device there?

MyNETGEAR | Login

If so, that is where to ask for support.

If you aren't eligible for free support, this place costs nothing.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7