Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000

spadude60
Aspirant

R7000

I have recently obtained an issue with my router where I couldn't connect due to an internet issue. I have now reconnected with the internet and now my router is acting weird. This is a dual band and have been using both bands up to this point and now my internet speed has dropped considerably and I can't connect to my 5G band at all. Had a brief connection and showed no mpbs at all. I have reset router to factory settings and still have an issue of only using 1 band. (2.4) but 5g with not connect at all. Any suggestions what I should do. I don't have any firmware updates that I can find so am a little confused
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000

the R7000 has smart connect meaning it combines the 2.4ghz/5ghz bands. 

Do you have that enabled? If so, the bands won't show up separately. Might be worth checking. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 2 of 8
spadude60
Aspirant

Thanks Furrye38
I did the restart the way you said and put those settings at what you suggested. And now just the 2.4Ghz works. Still can't get the 5Ghz to even show up to connect to. There are no firmware updates and haven't had one in quite a while. So not sure what I should do. Just wondering if second band just is fried or what. We have had this router for approx 7 years. Have never really ever had a problem with it.
Any other suggestions?
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

the R7000 has smart connect meaning it combines the 2.4ghz/5ghz bands. 

Do you have that enabled? If so, the bands won't show up separately. Might be worth checking. 

Message 4 of 8
spadude60
Aspirant

Hey thanks Furry that worked. Awesome thank you so much!!!!
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What worked? 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 8
spadude60
Aspirant

Furry, tge smart connect was enabled that was making the 5 ghz not show up. As soon as I disabled smart connect, it started working.
Thanks again appreciate your time
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

👌

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation