Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 Slow download speed on wired and wireless connections

Robwaz
Aspirant

R8000 Slow download speed on wired and wireless connections

I have an R8000 router with version 1.0.3.46 connect to a cable modem using Cox as my internet privider and subscribed to 300/30 Mbps service. I used speedtest.net with two different cables connected from the cable modem to my computer (Windows 10).  Both cables tested about 224/30 Mbps.  I then used one cable to connect the cable modem to the R8000 and the other cable to connect the R8000 to the computer.  I then ran speedtest aand got about 80/30 Mbps. I also reset the modem to factory defaults and ran speedtest again and got similar results.  

I also tried wireless connection and got similar results and the wired connection.  Any ideas how I can solve the problem?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: R8000 Slow download speed on wired and wireless connections

Hi Robwaz,

Can you check the UI if the Arris modem if you have "EEE" (Energy efficient Ethernet)? If yes, try to disable it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi Robwaz,

Can you check the WAN port status if it is 1000M/FULL.

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 2 of 7
Robwaz
Aspirant

I got the status resutls from the router and are as follows:

PORTS                        STATUS

WAN                            100M/Full

LAN2                          1000M/Full

2.4G   WLAN b/g/n      600M/Full

5G   WLAN a/n/ac      1300M/Full

5G    WLAN 2 a/n/ac  1300M/Full

I'm not sure I'm interpreting the status results but I think the WAN port status of 100M is the incoming port, LAN2 is the cable conection port and  2.4G, and 5G are the wifi ports.  The status speed indicates the Mbps each port can process.  Because the WAM port is an incoming port with a max speed of 100M, the other ports depend on the incoming speed would in practice be able to transmit at a speed no greater than what was comming into the router.  If this is true, that would explain why wifi and lan connections from the router get less than 100M.  If what I say is true, then the router is not functioning correctly.  

Am I correct or not?

Message 3 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi Robwaz,

May I know what is the brand of the modem?

Message 4 of 7
Robwaz
Aspirant

The cable modem is:  ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.

Message 5 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi Robwaz,

Can you check the UI if the Arris modem if you have "EEE" (Energy efficient Ethernet)? If yes, try to disable it.

Message 6 of 7
Robwaz
Aspirant

The Energy Efficient Ethernet setting was disabled.  That was not problem.  The problem is with the router as discussed below.

Becuase I have been unable to solve the problem, I called Netgear tech support.  After about 2 hours on the phone with them and my ISP, tech support decided that the WAN port was broken. They sais they maybe a borken "wire" affecting the performance of that port. Because it is over one year old ithe router was out of warrenty and that I would have to buy a new one.  They did not offer a reconditioned one or to repair it when asked.  Support said there is nothing they can do.

One additional piece of information that I did not mention here but did discuss with support is that this problem only surfaced after I upgraded my download speed to 300Mbps a coupole of weeks ago.  My previous download speed was about 50 Mbps.  So my problem may have been there from the time I purchased the router.  It was my opinion that the problem was there from the beginning and only after getting the higher download speed that it was detected.  Tech support did not buy that argument.  So I asked tech support how does a "wire" get broken; they could not answer the question. So I'm left with a a problem of not knowing if the problem is a manufacturing defect or something I did?

I appreciate the effort made by tech support to help solve my problem but left wondering about the quality of the product and their willingness to stand behind it.  

So i bought a competitor's router, a brand that I had used for years and upgrade routers as the technology advanced and never had a problerm with any of them.  The new router gives me great download speeds both wired and wireless (> 250 Mbps).  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7