Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000P Nighthawk Router is causing delay internet, but works great when connected direct to modem

notgoodatthis
Aspirant

R8000P Nighthawk Router is causing delay internet, but works great when connected direct to modem

I have my PC connect to my Nighthawk router with a LAN cable and my router is connected to my cable modem.  When I access any website there is about a second or so delay before it goes to the website.  If I'm in say my online banking and want to redirect to billpay it usually won't do it at all.  I use Quickbooks for work and if I try to do an online backup it always fails.

HOWEVER - if I unplug my pc from the Nighthawk and plug directly into the cable modem.....it always works.   What am I doing wrong?   Also, it didn't always use to do this.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R8000P Nighthawk Router is causing delay internet, but works great when connected direct to mo

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Power OFF the ISP Modem for 1 minute then back ON. Then walk thru the set wizard using a wired PC and web browser at 192.168.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R8000P Nighthawk Router is causing delay internet, but works great when connected direct to mo

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 8
notgoodatthis
Aspirant

Firmware is V1.4.3.88_1.3.50

Cable modem is Netgear CM500

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Is Armor, Circle, or Traffic Meter enabled or has those ever been enabled? 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 4 of 8
notgoodatthis
Aspirant

Installed new Cat 6 cable between the router and modem

powered off everything as said

turned back on

still has same dilemma

Message 5 of 8
Kitsap
Master

Who is your ISP?

Do they support IPv6?  If yes, be sure and enable it in advance settings on your router.

You might have to check out some alternate Domain Name Servers from those provided by your ISP.

Message 6 of 8
notgoodatthis
Aspirant

I appreciate all of the help but still not having much success.   Is there a non wireless router (wired router) or possibly a switch that might be better?   At one time this R8000P did not give me any issues but I live in a very small town and not many computer savvy people around here to help.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF the ISP Modem for 1 minute then back ON. Then walk thru the set wizard using a wired PC and web browser at 192.168.1.1

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7