Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ac2300 speed is slower than it should be

mgdbock
Aspirant

ac2300 speed is slower than it should be

Hello all,

I recently upgraded my internet service from 200 Mbps to 600 Mbps and my modem to an Arris surfboard 3.1 docsis. I also installed new cat6 cables. 

However, my Nighthawk ac2300 router is slowing things down by more than 50%. I've tried various settings and even reset to factory when things got worse. Firmware is current.

I'm getting 600 Mbps from modem to PS5, but when hard-wired from the ac2300 LAN port (all of them), the PS5 connects at ~180 Mbps.

Speedtest on the Nighthawk app shows ~250 Mbps. My wifi speeds on Speedtest app for various devices at various locations of my home are : 85-100 Mbps @ 2.5GHz and 150-250 Mbps @ 5GHz.

Appreciate any help.

MGD

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ac2300 speed is slower than it should be

What model router do you have? AC2300 is a wifi speed.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Message 2 of 6
mgdbock
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Modem is Arris sb8200. Router is r7000p. I have new cat6 cables. Firmware is V1.3.2.134_10.1.66

The last thing I did was a factory reset of the router and resetting the SSIDs.

I changed the DHCP IP address range (under LAN setup) and then power-cycled. No change. 

What did you mean by #? I assumed it was to use the number that was already there.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

What are speed seen over a ethernet connected PC using Ooklas installable speed test app?

Message 4 of 6
mgdbock
Aspirant

Unfortunately, my laptops don't have an ethernet port. My desktop is in a far room. I guess I'll either get a long cable, usb-ethernet dongle, or set my old rig up for a test this weekend.

Again, thanks again for the quick replies.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Usb to ethernet adatpers are pretty cheap these days. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7