Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

connnecting 2 netgear routers together

codymeche1972
Aspirant

connnecting 2 netgear routers together

So i have my main router, a R7900P, i just bought an AX1800 router. I have run a cat5 from the main wireless router to my office outside the house (well within the distance cable of doing so) when i hook up the AX1800 it will not accept a connection. The connections is good because that is what i am doing this now with from my laptop. What can i do to get the ne AX1800 to connect. I had an older netgear AX1800 that has been working fine for years in this setup and then all of a sudden it lost connection from the main router. When i deduced the jack was live and working i figured the original AX1800 had just died hence i bought the new one. No clue how to get this up and working.. help please

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
codymeche1972
Aspirant

Re: connnecting 2 netgear routers together

I got it fixed. Basically 1 wireless route connected to another via ethernet. Both routers just set up right out the box normally, each a stand alone independent wifi's. So I am thinking it was a firmware issue on the older 7900
I took both rax10's and set each up in the sake fashion updating the firmware and everything came right back up

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Which router model? AX1800 is a speed, not model!

You should only have one router doing the routing in your network. Put this "AX1800" router in access point mode
Message 2 of 13
codymeche1972
Aspirant

Sorry RAX10
Message 3 of 13
codymeche1972
Aspirant

So I did that once and then it wouldn't list the router as an available wifi connection
Message 4 of 13
codymeche1972
Aspirant

So just switched the rax10 to be an access point. The router shows the orange light for no Internet. The router wifi names show up but will act like they are connecting bit will try for a bit and jump back off
Message 5 of 13
microchip8
Master

AP mode is done with an ethernet cable, not wireless.
Message 6 of 13
codymeche1972
Aspirant

They are connected via ethernet cable. It's not pulling an IP address from the main router for some reason
Message 7 of 13

@codymeche1972 wrote:
They are connected via ethernet cable. It's not pulling an IP address from the main router for some reason

The point that @microchip8 was making was that it is usually best to use wired connection from a PC to the RAX to make the conversion to AP mode.

Is that what you did?

And when you have done that, restart the network in the designated order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

What modem/gateway/ONT sits between the first router and the Internet?

Message 8 of 13
codymeche1972
Aspirant

So it's a fiber modem that is outside the house, the cat5 coming into the house to the main wireless router, then ethernet to the secondary wireless router that is set to AP that I have out in my office
Message 9 of 13

@codymeche1972 wrote:
So it's a fiber modem that is outside the house

What is that modem? Make and model?

As @microchip8 suggested, did you set the RAX10 to AP mode before you moved it to the office?

Is there any reason why you put the R7900P (2017) in the house and the RAX10 (2022) in the office? The RAX10 is a newer and more capable router. If the idea is just to get wifi in the office, a better option might be to swap these things around.

Message 10 of 13
codymeche1972
Aspirant

So the modem is in an enclosure mounted to the outside of my house by the ISP. Ethernet comes from directly to the 7900 router. It's was in there before I built the office. So the Rax10 I added when I ran ethernet from the 7900 to the office. Both were just set up standard and have been running fine for years until 2 days ago. Thinking the rax10 had gone bad because I pulled the feed and put it straight to my office laptop to see if that line was bad and it isn't. Put the new rax10 in set it up normally and still nothing, set the rax10 up as a AP after and still nothing. Switched ports at the 7900 also and still nothing. So I am at a loss
Message 11 of 13

@codymeche1972 wrote:
So the modem is in an enclosure mounted to the outside of my house by the ISP. Ethernet comes from directly to the 7900 router. It's was in there before I built the office.

Without knowing more, it is hard to diagnose what might be going on.

I'm still finding it hard to work out what you are doing.

Take this:

Both were just set up standard and have been running fine for years until 2 days ago.

What do you mean by "set up standard"?

Two routers?

Does the R7900P connect to the Internet?

Then this:

Switched ports at the 7900 also and still nothing.

Switched ports?

Switched what to what?

Troubleshooting is a painstaking process that work up the chain a step at a time, with a clear explanation of what is going on.

You also haven't answered various questions on the way that could help us to understand what is going on. But let's not muddy the issue any more. Start by telling is what goes on at the R7900P.

Message 12 of 13
codymeche1972
Aspirant

I got it fixed. Basically 1 wireless route connected to another via ethernet. Both routers just set up right out the box normally, each a stand alone independent wifi's. So I am thinking it was a firmware issue on the older 7900
I took both rax10's and set each up in the sake fashion updating the firmware and everything came right back up
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7