Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

unable to access routerlogin.net/.com

cybot
Luminary

unable to access routerlogin.net/.com

Router: R8000P

Firmware Version: V1.4.1.68_1.3.28

I am unable to access the routers login page (routerlogin.net) and am being redirected to "https://www.netgear.com/home/services/routerlogincom.html" instead. I can access the router settings page by using 192.168.1.1 still, however. I am not sure if the issue is related or not, but the QOS Performance Optimization Database also seems to be corrupted. the version and release date on the database are corrupted. I DO NOT HAVE a giga-bit connection, I only have a 6Mbps connection, so this feature is crucial and necessary to me, performing a router factory reset seems to solve the issue temporarily, but the issue returns within a week or so. repeatedly having to re-enter the settings into my router has grown beyond tiresome, also, while this condition is present, only one device is able to get full internet performance. attempts to use another device at the same time, results in connection timeouts. I have made posts before about the QOS database corruption, only to be told that I do not need the feature for gigabit internet, which is something I do not have. This is clearly something with the router software/firmware, not my internet connection or one of the devices I have connected. this has been an ongoing issue since 2018 or earlier and I am fed up with it. Please help me!

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
cybot
Luminary

Re: unable to access routerlogin.net/.com

Sorry for the delayed reply. for a period of time, i was for some reason, unable to login to the forum here. anyways, here are some updates:

my ISP (local phone company) finally upgraded the  lines and made 10mbps/1mbps  speeds available. naturally I upgraded to the higher speed as soon as I could.  Uodates to the windows 10/Edge Browser seem to have solved the issue. there have been several updates to the router firmware, but they don't seem to have been the cause of the fix.

for future reference (for me mostly) my modem does have a built in router, but the feautures have mostly been disabled, since I asked them the ISP to do so since i was using my own router. this being said, there are other ports on the modem being used, one of the other ports is being used for the innomedia phone box that gives my house landline access. The modem's Wi-Fi functions have been disabled. the modem model is listed below. the speeds are still two bonded lines getting combined into one, but now instead of tow 3mbps lines, it's 2 5mbps lines to make 10mbps. it still irritates me that litterally around 50 feet away in cul-de-sac before us they have access to 50 Mbps and we are stuck with only 10. but not much I can do abput that.

Modem model: Comtrend: Nexuslink 5630u

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 22

All Replies

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 22
schumaku
Guru

If using a mobile or computer using secured DNS (encrypted DNS), or in case there is a VPN pointing to whatever DNS through the tunnel, the router can't capture the DNS query and return the router LAN IP. 

The other common issue is that users have set-up consumer routers as wireless access points (on network with another router) and they try to use these URLs while being connected to the wires LAN or another router or access point.

Oh and the next version is that users have two Netgear routers, either both in router mode, or a router in access point, and one in router mode, and they try to reach the router but end on the access point, or the other way round..

Everything will lead to the same "problem". here the computer must be connected direct to the Netgear "router" device the user intend to access.

All this makes up the "many" issus a search might unveil. All have pure operational reasons - and none of these is caused by a real Netgear issue. 

Message 3 of 22
cybot
Luminary

I do not know what model it is. it was provided by the phone company when we got our service started. about all i can tell you is that it has two 3Mbps lines going in and that I don't have access to any of the settings of the modem. there are some lan ports, but other than the one leading the to the router, they are setup for our digital voice service provided by the phone company the ports have a cable to a box that provides the phone service to the house.

Message 4 of 22
cybot
Luminary

there is no VPN or encrypted DNS in use by me , or by my ISP. I don't know why i can no loner access 'routerlogin.net'. It's all very strange. it seeems to have started after a firmware upgrade. before that the routerlogin page was the main waay i accessed the router. I can still access the router the same way using my Pixel 3a XL phone using android chrome browser, but using edge and internet explorer 11 on windows 10 (build 2009) always results in a redirect to the netgear page listed in my original post.

Message 5 of 22
cybot
Luminary

correction: routerlogin.net works on internet explorer 11, but not edge.

Message 6 of 22

@cybot wrote:

it was provided by the phone company when we got our service started. about all i can tell you is that it has two 3Mbps lines going in and that I don't have access to any of the settings of the modem.

Unfortunately, this leaves us shooting in the dark.

It is also puzzling when you refer to "two 3Mbps lines going in".

What is the Internet service? DSL? Cable?Something else?

I'm also puzzled by the "two 3Mbps" bit. Where does that come into the picture?

@cybot wrote:

there are some lan ports, but other than the one leading the to the router, they are setup for our digital voice service provided by the phone company the ports have a cable to a box that provides the phone service to the house.

If they are "LAN ports" they are not for phones. LAN has a specific meaning and refers to ports use for Ethernet connections. So I guess that they are simple "ports" and nothing to do with LAN.

I say that you show just how hard it is to diagnose what might be happening at your end.

Does this mean that the problem has gone away?

Or are you now trying to fix something else?

Message 7 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@cybot wrote:

What happens when accessing from Edge? Does it end on the fall-back https://www.netgear.com/home/services/routerlogincom.html ? The Chromium-based Edge [assume you don't talk of the outdated legacy Edge browser] does have the ability to add alternate / secured DNS, while IE11 does relay on the windows DNS configuration. 

Message 8 of 22
cybot
Luminary

sorry for the delay in response. been especially busy with IRL stuff. i will take the time now to answer some of the questions asked of me.

regarding the two 3mbps lines going into the modem. it is exactly as it sounds there are two 3mbps ADSL lines coming out of the wall that the modem combines into a 6Mbps connection. My ISP has made availible 10Mbps iinternet speed for my area since this post was made, which i have upgraded to. so now my modem has two 5 Mbps lines going into the modem.

in regard to trying to use the routerlogin.net/.com to access the router page from edge. yet it brought up the fallback page that you linked too. I say did, because subsequent updates to either edge or the router or both seem to have fixed the issue. 

Message 9 of 22

@cybot wrote:

regarding the two 3mbps lines going into the modem. it is exactly as it sounds there are two 3mbps ADSL lines coming out of the wall that the modem combines into a 6Mbps connection.

That's an odd one that doesn't come up often.

Unfortunately, not knowing what this magic modem is makes it almost impossible to diagnose what might be happening. Your description of this box suggests that it may also be a router. But that is just a guess based on a vague description.

Message 10 of 22
schumaku
Guru

As Netgear does not offer Multi-Link xDSL routers, we must assume that this device is some kind of L3 (much more than a modem where the Netgear router would be able to terminate and bundle the_two_ PPP sessions).

Is it possible this computer is connected direct to this "modem" (and the Netgear router Internet/WAN port therefore) instead of the Netgear router LAN or WiFi?

Message 11 of 22
cybot
Luminary

Sorry for the delayed reply. for a period of time, i was for some reason, unable to login to the forum here. anyways, here are some updates:

my ISP (local phone company) finally upgraded the  lines and made 10mbps/1mbps  speeds available. naturally I upgraded to the higher speed as soon as I could.  Uodates to the windows 10/Edge Browser seem to have solved the issue. there have been several updates to the router firmware, but they don't seem to have been the cause of the fix.

for future reference (for me mostly) my modem does have a built in router, but the feautures have mostly been disabled, since I asked them the ISP to do so since i was using my own router. this being said, there are other ports on the modem being used, one of the other ports is being used for the innomedia phone box that gives my house landline access. The modem's Wi-Fi functions have been disabled. the modem model is listed below. the speeds are still two bonded lines getting combined into one, but now instead of tow 3mbps lines, it's 2 5mbps lines to make 10mbps. it still irritates me that litterally around 50 feet away in cul-de-sac before us they have access to 50 Mbps and we are stuck with only 10. but not much I can do abput that.

Modem model: Comtrend: Nexuslink 5630u

Message 12 of 22

@cybot wrote:

The modem's Wi-Fi functions have been disabled.

This does not disable the router section of a modem/router. For that you have to put it into "bridge" mode.

Message 13 of 22
cybot
Luminary

I don't know specificly the settings used by the ISP for the modem/router, since i  don't have access to the password for the device. all I know is that the device is not visible to my netweork. and the netgear router is getting the publiic internet IP address passed to it to the netgear router. whether this is normal, IDK. the modem/router is essentially invisible to my home network.

Message 14 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, can you access the routers web page at 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 in any web browser? 

What happens if you disconnect the router from the ISP modem, factory reset the router and with a wired PC connected to the router, can you access the routers web page at 192.168.1.1? 

Message 15 of 22
cybot
Luminary

192.168.1.1 gives me my routers settings page. it was what I was forced to use back when the issue in the first post was happening. not sure about the other address. never seen it before. I did just try it out just now, and the address did not work. according to Edge, the connection to that address timed out. so maybe it is an invalid address for me.

Message 16 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so if you can access 192.168.1.1 this is same as routerlogin.net. The mention of 10.someting address was an alternative address if yoru router detected the router in front of it using 192.168.1.1, the router would auto change from 192.168.1.1 to 10.0.0.1. But its not. 

What browser are you using? 

Message 17 of 22
cybot
Luminary

currently I am using Microsoft Edge Version 94.0.992.50 (Official build) (64-bit). I do use Internet Explorer 11 as my back-up browser, but that IE11 has been increasingly not working on various sites. this is probably due to the looming out of support for IE from MS, among other things. I will have to eventually choose another browser as a backup. my old choice pre windows 10, used to be Chrome, but now that Edge and Chrome are running off of the same underlying code Op[era(chromium) it dows not make sense to me to use chrome as the backup browser. maybe Safari for windows or Opera maybe?

Message 18 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I use Opera and also FireFox which I believe FF is not chromimum based. 

I enjoy Opera GX greatly. Mainly use Edge for FW updates and most router management configurations though. 

Message 19 of 22
cybot
Luminary

really? it was my understanding that firefox had jumped onto the chromium bandwagon. i will do some double checking myself again on that.

Message 20 of 22
cybot
Luminary

looks like i was wrong. I have never been happier to have been wrong. so i guess i will eventually use firefox as a backup browser. this is good news for me.

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Mark your thread as solved. Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation