Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 Firmware V1.1.7.134 - Possible issues with this firmware version and DoS/Port Scan Protection

LogicaLv
Tutor

MR60 Firmware V1.1.7.134 - Possible issues with this firmware version and DoS/Port Scan Protection

Product Affected: Netgear Nighthawk MR60
Firmware Version (Router & Satellite): V1.1.7.134

I've recently suffered two brief power outages about a week apart from each other and in both instances, when the power came back up, some devices could not connect back to the MR60 automatically (as they would after any reboot or unexpected power loss). Gracefully rebooting the router via the management interface or forcefully by unplugging the cable did not fix the issue for affected devices.

Regardless of the connectivity type (wired or wireless), the only common denominator between all the affected devices is DHCP. For example, an affected iPhone would get assigned APIPA when trying to connect to the wireless network. I could however set a static IP address (+DNS) on it, and network connectivity (internet and local LAN access) would be restored.

The first time this issue occurred, I simply factory reset the router and satellite and the problem went away.

Today, the issue came back after a power outage and I wanted to get to the bottom of it. So, I did some googling and a user had a similar-but-not-quite-the-same issue. They said that checking the option "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection" under Advanced > Setup > WAN Setup on the router's management interface fixed it for them.

I did the same, and lo and behold, all devices affected by this DHCP issue received a lease and got connected.

What's interesting is that nothing was showing in the logs. No DHCP leasing attempts for affected devices, no errors related to DoS or Port Scanning protection, nothing. Only DHCP leases for the working devices. I can only assume that the affected devices' packets (i.e. DHCP requests) were seen as undesirable by this security feature and dropped.

Important Note: I have owned the MR60 for about 2 years and suffered many power outages during this time, and this is the first time since I've updated it to the latest version (V1.1.7.134 - at the time of writing) that this issue has surfaced.

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
LogicaLv
Tutor

Re: MR60 Firmware V1.1.7.134 - Possible issues with this firmware version and DoS/Port Scan Protecti

Checking the option "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection" resolved the issue for me, even after subsequent power outages.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 17

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: MR60 Firmware V1.1.7.134 - Possible issues with this firmware version and DoS/Port Scan Protecti

what modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

Message 2 of 17
LogicaLv
Tutor

The MR60 router is connected to an Arris TM822, a modem provided by my ISP
Message 3 of 17

@LogicaLv wrote:
The MR60 router is connected to an Arris TM822, a modem provided by my ISP

Just a modem. Not even a cunningly hidden router function by the look of it.

Message 4 of 17
LogicaLv
Tutor

Correct, my ISP provided this modem and a router, which I replaced by the MR60.
Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between MR and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

For any Apple or Android mobile devices, be sure to disable the random mac address features on these devices While at home:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

Message 6 of 17
BLZ6353
Aspirant

I have an MR60 with four MS60 satellites set-up in a vacation house and seem to lose device connectivity over time, perhaps might be from power outages as I’m not there to verify. Has the solution that you mentioned, “checking the option "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection" under Advanced > Setup > WAN Setup on the router's management interface”, resolved the issue after subsequent power outages?  Until I visit the house next, I’m only able to access the router with Anywhere Access and reboot, which doesn’t get many if any of the devices to reconnect (the Nighthawk app will show most if not all the devices connected, but they are not working remotely, mainly Kasa cameras and switches).

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Message 8 of 17
BLZ6353
Aspirant

5,000 square feet

Message 9 of 17
BLZ6353
Aspirant

The device connectivity and satellite connectivity after power outages seems to be an occasional problem with the MR60 MS60 set-up and I haven’t come across a solution browsing all the other instances. Unless there is one, not sure the set-up will work at a vacation home in California where there are all too frequent power outages. 

Message 10 of 17
LogicaLv
Tutor

Checking the option "Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection" resolved the issue for me, even after subsequent power outages.
Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between MR and MS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

For that size of home 4 MS maybe too much. Try working with two MS and the MR. I have a 5k sq ft home and use only two MS. 3 level home too. 

Can try the suggestion mentioned as well...

@BLZ6353 wrote:

The device connectivity and satellite connectivity after power outages seems to be an occasional problem with the MR60 MS60 set-up and I haven’t come across a solution browsing all the other instances. Unless there is one, not sure the set-up will work at a vacation home in California where there are all too frequent power outages. 

Message 12 of 17
BLZ6353
Aspirant

The satellites are spaced greater than 30 feet apart from the router and none within line of sight of each other. I will try removing a couple of the satellites and check WiFi coverage in addition to trying the DoS/Port scan as possible solutions. 

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the MS around 30-35 feet away from the MS as well. 

Message 14 of 17
BLZ6353
Aspirant

I will try reducing down to one router and two satellites. House is 3 levels, built on hillside so lower two levels have a retaining wall as one side.  Top and middle level are approximately 1900 square feet each.  Lowest level is about 1,200 square feet, with an attached garage of approximately 700 square feet on the top level. Router is on the side of the house, mid-level, where cable enters.  Had placed one satellite in garage, one in lowest level and two satellites in the top level. I will see what my WiFi signal strength is with only 2 satellites, one in lowest level and one on the top level spread to the opposite side of the house from the router. 

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

@LogicaLv wrote:

Message 16 of 17
BLZ6353
Aspirant

Finally got around to a brief visit at the vacation home with the issues. As luck would have it, all the dropped devices had reconnected with the router and satellites just before I was able to visit. The router and satellites were all working with various devices connected to each unit. However, as per suggestion, I removed 2 of the satellites (just installed WiFi plugs and turned off the power to 2 of the satellites so I can possibly use only while I’m there). When I tried  the  solution of “Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection” devices immediately began disconnecting from the network. Reverted the setting (unchecked the box) and items reconnected. I will have to wait for time to pass and also  after power outage(s) to see if the reduction in the number of satellites resolves the problem of dropped devices

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7