Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR60 slow WiFi speed

Jimb9999
Aspirant

MR60 slow WiFi speed

I purchased the MR60 and satellite in November and was happy with the performance now it seems if I am close to the router it works fine if I move away the speed test drops if I have the satellite connected my devices barely work. I have upgraded and downgraded the firmware it doesn’t seem to matter any suggestions work be appreciated.
Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

Re: MR60 slow WiFi speed

have you tried moving the satellite around? 

Certain materials do block wifi and maybe something was moved to cause obstruction

Message 2 of 18
Jimb9999
Aspirant

I have moved it to multiple locations and it doesn’t change, I have reset both to factory default and it hasn’t changed.
Message 3 of 18
plemans
Guru

after changing firmware did you reset to factory? 

What modem are you using? 

Message 4 of 18
Jimb9999
Aspirant

No I did a factory reset then did firmware on satellite then router. I am using an Arris TM822 modem.
Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

"Then did firmware" 

updated it? 

Try downgrading, then factory reset, then reinstall. Try it without the satellite first. 

Message 6 of 18
Jimb9999
Aspirant

I have done both downgraded and upgraded firmware, I have tried factory reset before and after. I have also tried it with the satellite and without the satellite and have had the same results. If I run test wired to the router speed Is fine. It is the WiFi that is horrible, I am getting 115 MPs wired and between 2.3-26 wireless.
Message 7 of 18
plemans
Guru

Have you opened a support case? 

click on "mynetgear" at the top and register an account. from there you can check your warrant/support status. 

Message 8 of 18
Jimb9999
Aspirant

Since I purchased it November 2020 and do not have the extended support all support has expired except the hardware is still under warranty.
Message 9 of 18
plemans
Guru

so the primary unit works fine but the satellite has issues? 

correct? 

Does the satellite work fine if you tried it with a wired backhaul?

Message 10 of 18
Jimb9999
Aspirant

I am having an issue even without the satellite, the WiFi speed drops to a point where it is almost unusable.
Message 11 of 18
plemans
Guru

In your initial post you post that its fine when by the router/connected to the router.

Now you're saying its not? 

Does it work fine connected to the router? (via ethernet)

What speeds do you get hardwired into the router? 

Message 12 of 18
Jimb9999
Aspirant

From my previous post: If I run test wired to the router speed Is fine. It is the WiFi that is horrible, I am getting 115 MPs wired and between 2.3-26 wireless.
Message 13 of 18
plemans
Guru

have you checked the difference from 2.4ghz to 5ghz?

Message 14 of 18
Jimb9999
Aspirant

I have the same issue with 2.4 and 5ghz devices. At this point I had to buy another router since my wife and daughter are both doing virtual school. I will try working on this on the weekends so I don’t interfere with them.
Message 15 of 18
bachaan
Aspirant

Did you get your problem resolved?

I am having the same issues.

Connecting to Router with cable: ~800+ mbps

Switching to mesh wifi : Drops to ~120mbps

By the time i move near 3rd satelite it drops to < 40 mbps.

Message 16 of 18
plemans
Guru

@bachaan Have you started your own thread with all your details? (setup, issues, etc)

Message 17 of 18
Jimb9999
Aspirant

At this point I had to get a different router, now that school is over I will try it again. If it continues I will just use the router I bought.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7