Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MR80 Ethernet Backhaul

rjpiselli
Tutor

MR80 Ethernet Backhaul

How do I force wired backhaul?

I have the MR80/MK83 router and 2 MS80 satellites. The satellites are hardwired, but only 1 of them is using wired backhaul (it is farthest away/most likely to be out of range of wireless backhaul). 

I want to force the other satellite to use the wired connection for backhaul even if the wireless is within a range to be functional. 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: MR80 Ethernet Backhaul

Check the cable. 

Take the satellite and connect it to the router with a good quality cat 5e/6 cable that's only like 6 ft long. Give it 5 minutes (to switch over), then check the app/browser. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

How do you know the wired backhaul isn't working? 

What does it show when you log in through the browser (don't trust the app)?

Have you tried a different cable between the 2 (for testing, use a short 6ft cable just to ensure its not the cable)

Message 2 of 7
rjpiselli
Tutor

The app shows the wireless icon for 1 satellite, and the wired icon for the other. Also in the app, if I click on the satellites and click details one says 5Ghz and the other says Wired. 

On the admin console through a web browser is shows connection type = 5Ghz for one, Wireless for the other. 

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Check the cable. 

Take the satellite and connect it to the router with a good quality cat 5e/6 cable that's only like 6 ft long. Give it 5 minutes (to switch over), then check the app/browser. 

Message 4 of 7
rjpiselli
Tutor

Good call. Must have been a bad ethernet cable. 

Should have been the first thing I checked but didnt have issues (that i knew of) with my previous setup so assumed it was a config with the new setup. 

THANKS!!

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Glad to see you found the issue!

If its a cable in the wall, a lot of times I'll see ends on them go bad. You can usually snip them off and redo the ends so you don't have to restring the whole cable. 

Message 6 of 7
rjpiselli
Tutor

It was actually the punch to the back of the rj-45 jack. Something must have wiggled loose or something. pulled it out and repunched and all is good and showing wired backhaul now. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7