Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bad Embedded Web Server

beezer
Apprentice

Bad Embedded Web Server

Have multiple NETGEAR WiFi routers in office. Prefer to use the office DNS to access them for obvious reasons (e.g., 'PetersWifi' instead of trying to remember IPv4/6 internal addresses like '192.168.245.22', especially since DHCP occasionaly changes the addresses). Unfortunately, calling the embedded admin page on the R7800s by name produces '404' or a bad page (a single digit, usually '0'). The R7800s work if I use the net local IP (sends me to admin login popup). All the other routers (e.g., the R6300s) work as expected regardless of using name, IPv4, or IPv6. Updated to firmware V1.0.2.28, but still fails.

90 day support (these are new routers) requests have produced nothing but a run-around, disrespect, insulting answers ('The Interenet is not available in AP mode.') and refusal to take documentation of the problem. They posted the report to the support web app with the title 'Unable to access the genie page using routerlogin.net' -- so it appears that their '2nd level support expert' doesn't understand basic networking concepts. So i turn to the community for help... anyone?

two WIFI access points on this network. One is called “R6300v2” and the other is called “R7800”:

Untitled-1.jpg

log onto the R6300 using its name and a browser, like so:

Untitled-2.jpg

Which gets me to the web interface:

Untitled-3.jpg

on the Nighthawk, here’s what happens:

Untitled-4.jpg

But it WORKS when I just use the IPv4 address:

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
beezer
Apprentice

Re: Bad Embedded Web Server

Netgear have fixed this in the webserver firmware! I tested the beta, it works; look forward to release.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Can you do an nslookup on any of the AP's?

Message 2 of 7
beezer
Apprentice

ugh. I uploaded imaes of the NSLOOKUPS, the successful web page from R6300v2.xxxx.local, the failure or web page R7800.xxxx.local, and the successful webpage using the IP for R7800.xxxx.local (192.168.254.24).  Do you know how to get the pics in my post to show to people who are not logged in as me?

Message 3 of 7
netwrks
Master

Any images posted have to approved by a mod first.  Anyway, I would give the r7800 a static ip then see if it resolves by hostname.

EDIT: can see your images now.

Message 4 of 7
beezer
Apprentice

Tried that. This has nothing to do with name resolution, apparently. It actually seems to return a DIFFERENT bad page based on the characters in the name. This is getting scary (buffer overrun in host header -> memory overwrite?)

EDIT: It also returns a DIFFERENT bad page if you use FQDN (which returns '0707n%' and not '0')!

Message 5 of 7
beezer
Apprentice

Further note: You will get the '404 -- This server does not support...' error if you do not supply the page (default document, e.g., 'http://R7800.xxx.local'). You get the random characters if you supply the page (e.g., 'http://R7800.xxx.local/index.htm')

Message 6 of 7
beezer
Apprentice

Netgear have fixed this in the webserver firmware! I tested the beta, it works; look forward to release.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7