Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Docsis 3.1 not available on R8000

Tracerr
Aspirant

Docsis 3.1 not available on R8000

So I love my Nighthawk to bits and cannot see having internet without it, bought it a couple of months ago for use on Vodafone NZ's cable network and it server me very well gor 101MB down and 10MB up, but now this morning I upgraded my line to Vodafone's new service FiberX which runs Docsis 3.1 and the R8000's firmware only currently supports Docsis 3.0 so now the router is dead to me it cannot go on the internet on Docsis 3.0 and now I have to rely on a crappy Huwai HG659 and although I get speeds of 942.91Mbps down and 99.74 Mbps up with a ping of 10ms the router does not have good wifio range in the house...

When will a firmware upgrade be available to take the router from Dcosis 3.0 to Docsis 3.1?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Docsis 3.1 not available on R8000

If your R8000 is still configured as an Access Point (AP), then try connecting it to the Huawei using a LAN port on the R8000.  IOW, leave the WAN port disconnected.  You should be able to achieve Gigabit speed this way.  

The downside with this workaround is that you may not be able to log into the R8000.  You will have to reconnect the WAN port to log in.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 17

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Um, DOCSIS is a cable modem standard.  A R8000 is a router and has nothing to do with DOCSIS.  Something else is going on with your router.

Message 2 of 17
Tracerr
Aspirant

mmm cant be my router as it is brand new and the techs installed the new modem this morning along with their router and they just said I should set my internet/wan to auto pickup an address from the modems dhcp pool..I did that and it is not working...but when I plug their router in it works....

Message 3 of 17
Tracerr
Aspirant

I wonder if the netgear has a problem reading the fast data port/internet connection from the modem to the router...I tried it again with no luck the new modem is defnitelly running Docsys 3.1 where the old one was docsys 3.0...on the new router I am getting 942.91Mbps down and 99.74 Mbps up and on the old one I had 101Mb down and 10Mb up

Message 4 of 17
TheEther
Guru

On the R8000, go to the Internet tab and make sure Get Dynamically from ISP is selected under Internet IP Address.  

Connect the R8000 Internet port to the modem.   Power cycle the modem.  Some modems need to be power cycled when you change routers.  Check the Advanced tab on the R8000 and see if Internet port has an IP address.

If it still hasn't acquired an IP address, then try cloning the HG659's WAN port MAC address into the R8000.   Enter it where it says Router MAC address in the first picture.  Click Apply and reboot the router.  

If the router still can't connect to the Internet, then another approach you can try is to connect your HG659 to the modem, then connect your R8000 to the HG659.  Enable AP mode on the R8000 at ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP.  This will convert the R8000 into an Access Point.  Your HG659 will be your main router.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 17
TheEther
Guru

@Tracerr wrote:

I wonder if the netgear has a problem reading the fast data port/internet connection from the modem to the router...I tried it again with no luck the new modem is defnitelly running Docsys 3.1 where the old one was docsys 3.0...on the new router I am getting 942.91Mbps down and 99.74 Mbps up and on the old one I had 101Mb down and 10Mb up

The R8000 has a Gigabit Ethernet port.  It should have no problem with respect to link speeds.

Message 6 of 17
Tracerr
Aspirant

Thanks TheEther...

Option 1 did not work

Option 2 along with option 1 where I clkone the mac address of the huwai router did not work

Option 2 kind of worked but when I plug my pc directly into my netgear I only see speeds of under 500Mbs where if I plug directly into the Huwai I see speeds of 908Mbps and up....

Hope Netgear comes out with a firmware update of sorts to sort this problem....

Capture.JPG

Message 7 of 17
Tracerr
Aspirant

Still cannot get high speed cable to work on my nighthawk,it really is as if the wan/internet port cannit see the high speed cables dhcp server or something....there must be a fix

Message 8 of 17
TheEther
Guru

If your R8000 is still configured as an Access Point (AP), then try connecting it to the Huawei using a LAN port on the R8000.  IOW, leave the WAN port disconnected.  You should be able to achieve Gigabit speed this way.  

The downside with this workaround is that you may not be able to log into the R8000.  You will have to reconnect the WAN port to log in.

Message 9 of 17
Tracerr
Aspirant

ok this worked..yeah at leat now I have fast wireless all over the house...a pity it doesn't want to be connected directly to the new modem ..but oh well I will settle for this at t he moment..hope theres a firmware fix somehere in the near future

Message 10 of 17
Kevin_T
Aspirant

The issue is that Vodafone FibreX now uses VLAN tagging; the router needs to be configured to VLAN 10 on the WAN port (if it's possible on this router).

I had the same issue (although with a DLink router).

Message 11 of 17
Tracerr
Aspirant

Message 12 of 17
Kevin_T
Aspirant

That looks like it should. The only details I've had from Vodafone is that it's VLAN10 and priority 0 for internet. I've not done this myself yet as my D-Link router doesn't support VLAN tagging and I've not yet bought myself a new router to replace the Vodafone supplied one. Good luck.

Message 13 of 17
Tracerr
Aspirant

Thanks mate...I will goive it a go today..the other option might be to go dd-wrt ...but I would like to keep my firmware original 

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Message 14 of 17
Tracerr
Aspirant

I wonder which one of the ports listed in the kb are for the wan port..tehy don't specify it in the workaround...they just mention port 1- port 5

Message 15 of 17
Tracerr
Aspirant

Kevin_T it worked...now everything works through my Nighthawk...only downside is the speed on the Huwai I got an average of 920mb down and 92mb up and now I get ...wonder what I can adjust on the router to speed it up...QOS wil that slow it down?

slo.JPG

Message 16 of 17
Tracerr
Aspirant

ok after a factory reset + the new vlan settings it isn working at full speed now 🙂 Many many thanks guys 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7