Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HomePhone will not work with Nighthawk AC1900 D7000

Haydosity
Aspirant

HomePhone will not work with Nighthawk AC1900 D7000

I have tried every possible combination of wires for the last 5 months attempting to connect my home phone line with my Nighthawk and NBN setup. The exact same setup works with the ISP-Provided router, however, that one provided poor signals and stability. Any help will be greately appreciated. 

Nighthawk AC19000 - D7000-200AUS

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: HomePhone will not work with Nighthawk AC1900 D7000

Look, I don't want to belabor the point, but you do NOT understand your Phone system. You are CLEARLY using VOIP... that means the Modem/Router MUST have an eMTA as well.

You can NOT tell the difference between a VOIP phone and a Landline. They both sound and operate the same way. Just that a Landline goes via cables all over the place that are strictly for phone/voice service. VOIP phones have an eMTA that translates voice to digital and it is sent over the Internet to some station local to where you are calling back into voice and completes the call.

You said it worked with this Device, Modem/eMTA and from spec's:

Supports VOIP Calls: Simply make or receive phone calls over the Internet

Why? Because it has the PROPER Phone jack on the back.

D7000, Datasheet, do you see anything about a phone or VOIP or eMTA on it? NO!!! That is why it WILL NOT WORK!

Want Netgear, a C500V or a C7100V but be careful, they may not work with your ISP?

I suggest you go back to the workers at JB-HIFI educated and ask for a modem/router that supports eithe Voice, eMTA, or VOIP with the phone jack on it.

Your other choice, keep what you have an buy an eMTA standalone that you plug the phone into and that into your router's wired port.

Note that some ISP's severely limit what you as a user can connect to their network. Best to check with them before doing anything.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies

@Haydosity wrote:

attempting to connect my home phone line with my Nighthawk and NBN setup. 

What is this "home phone"?

Message 2 of 12
IrvSp
Master

If the phone is an Internet phone, not a Cell or Landline, then the router you need is one with an eMTA included or an external eMTA that you split the cable line coming in to attach to the eMTA. My cable company, Spectrum does NOT allow customer owned eMTA's nor have any cable modem/routers that include an eMTA allowed.

Check with your cable company or go back to your cable company and get a modem/eMTA unit from them and then a stand-alone router, like the R7000 or other similar ones.

Message 3 of 12
Haydosity
Aspirant

Yes, Sorry. Our Landline will not work with our router.

Message 4 of 12

@Haydosity wrote:

Yes, Sorry. Our Landline will not work with our router.

Still doesn't tell us much.

What about the questions from @IrvSp?

"My telephone won't work" could mean many things.

Message 5 of 12
Haydosity
Aspirant

Above states that the questions only apply to my situation if the phone in question is an internet phone, and not a landline. 

When using the stock router given to me by TPG, the landline works perfectly with no issues. When using the same setup with the Nighthawk, the Landline produces no dial tone and states 'line in use'. Does the Nighthawk even allow for landline usage? Especially in conjunction with NBN systems.

Thanks

Message 6 of 12

@Haydosity wrote:

Above states that the questions only apply to my situation if the phone in question is an internet phone, and not a landline. 

We still do not know anything about this phone.

@Haydosity wrote:
Does the Nighthawk even allow for landline usage? Especially in conjunction with NBN systems.

There are several issues in there. There is no such thing as NBN. It covers a variety of Internet technologies, including VDSL. If you can get the D7000 to work at all, and to get an internet connection, then you have VDSL NBN.

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

On phones in general, I happily use landline telephones with Nighthawk modem/routers.

In my case, there is a socket on the wall. It has two outlets, one for the phone the other for the internet modem. (Sometimes there is just one all socket that accepts a DSL microfilter that does the two-sockets thing.) The Quick Start guide for the D7000 shows what the connections look like.

Until you tell us more about your phone we are all in the dark as to what goes wrong at your end.

By the way, that "stock router" isn't, in all probability, just a router. Like the D7000 it is more likely to be a modem router. Actually, if your "router" has a telephone socket then it may be what some people describe as a "gateway".

If you are having a hard time explaining things, you could help be telling us the make and model of the "stock router".

Message 7 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@Haydosity wrote:

When using the stock router given to me by TPG, the landline works perfectly with no issues. When using the same setup with the Nighthawk, the Landline produces no dial tone and states 'line in use'. Does the Nighthawk even allow for landline usage? Especially in conjunction with NBN systems.

Thanks

I have my ISP supply my phone. My modem from then is a combo modem/router/eMTA. The router function is bridged and I use my own router. The back of the ISP's device has a cable from its first LAN port going to my Router's WAN port. The socket for the phone goes into my wall's phone connector. If I only had a single phone, my wire from the phone would go into my ISP's modem phone connector. Look here, HERE for pictures of the different cables.

I can't tell how you were connected before but I suspect since the line was connected to the ISP's device, you are using VOIP (Voice Over IP) for the phone. That works just like a 'land line' as opposed to Cell service but how it works is different. The modem has to contain an eMTA that 'translates' the phone signal into digital to send it over the internet to another translator that returns it to a phone signal at the destination.

I think you'd best call your ISP, they should be able to clarify this for you and possibly suggest what you might need to do.

Message 8 of 12
Haydosity
Aspirant

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. 

The stock router that works with the Landline phone is a TP-LINK Archer VR1600v. This modem/router works with my landline in conjunction with the NBN FTTC setup provided by TPG. Further, this modem/router also has 2 phone line ports in which the phone may be plugged into to work without hassle and is what I used when using the landline previously.  There were no issues with the landline prior to switching over to the Nighthawk. 

When switching to the Nighthawk AC1900 D7000, there was no 'phone line' port in which I could exactly mimic the earlier setup, thus I tried all other ports to no success. 

The phone being currently used is a VTECH 17250, however previous phones have also not worked with the system. 

This is why I was speculating as to the compatibility of landline phones with the Nighthawk.

Thanks

Message 9 of 12
Haydosity
Aspirant

Sorry, to further explain. I have also tried plugging my VTECH 17250 directly into the wall socket market 'phone' with 0 success. To ensure it wasn't just that socket, I also tried other sockets placed around the house with the same outcome. Im glad to see your Nighthawk works with your landline, as that gives me hope. The workers at JB-HIFI have so far been unable to provide any further information regarding this subject, and just handball my issue off to others. 

Message 10 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Look, I don't want to belabor the point, but you do NOT understand your Phone system. You are CLEARLY using VOIP... that means the Modem/Router MUST have an eMTA as well.

You can NOT tell the difference between a VOIP phone and a Landline. They both sound and operate the same way. Just that a Landline goes via cables all over the place that are strictly for phone/voice service. VOIP phones have an eMTA that translates voice to digital and it is sent over the Internet to some station local to where you are calling back into voice and completes the call.

You said it worked with this Device, Modem/eMTA and from spec's:

Supports VOIP Calls: Simply make or receive phone calls over the Internet

Why? Because it has the PROPER Phone jack on the back.

D7000, Datasheet, do you see anything about a phone or VOIP or eMTA on it? NO!!! That is why it WILL NOT WORK!

Want Netgear, a C500V or a C7100V but be careful, they may not work with your ISP?

I suggest you go back to the workers at JB-HIFI educated and ask for a modem/router that supports eithe Voice, eMTA, or VOIP with the phone jack on it.

Your other choice, keep what you have an buy an eMTA standalone that you plug the phone into and that into your router's wired port.

Note that some ISP's severely limit what you as a user can connect to their network. Best to check with them before doing anything.

Message 11 of 12

@Haydosity wrote:

The stock router that works with the Landline phone is a TP-LINK Archer VR1600v.

AC1600 Wireless VDSL2 Gateway | TP-Link

Supports VOIP Calls: Simply make or receive phone calls over the Internet

Says it all. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7