Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How many devices would be necessary to benefit from tri-band

Biyahero
Apprentice

How many devices would be necessary to benefit from tri-band

I understand the marketing of the Tri-Band systems vs the Dual Band Systems emphasizes the third band is used for "backhaul" and decongests the 5 Ghz band to be used for devices.  

However I wonder how many devices would be necessary before you would see the benefits of the extra 5 Ghz Channel?

I can't forsee having more than 20 devices in our household which would be turned on at the same time ... perhaps 3 TV's streaming, 3 or 4  notebook computers and 3 or 4 iPads and a few iPhones and Android phones.

So weighing that against the range of a MK63-100NAS of 4500 sq. ft. Dual Band System vs the advertised range of 2500 sq. ft. of a Tri-Band System such as an AX8 RAX 78-100NAS, it seems questionable whether the benefits of the Tri-Band system would outweigh the shorter range capabilities of the Tri-Band system, if you didn't have a lot of clients.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: How many devices would be necessary to benefit from tri-band

@Biyahero wrote:

However I wonder how many devices would be necessary before you would see the benefits of the extra 5 Ghz Channel?

It isn't so much a "number of devices" thing. Tri-Band wifi is designed to be faster even with a single device.

What is a Tri-Band WiFi System? – NETGEAR Connection Blog

@Biyahero wrote:

I can't forsee having more than 20 devices in our household which would be turned on at the same time ...

That's what I thought. Then I started getting all sorts of Internet of Things (IoT) bits and pieces that use wifi.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies

@Biyahero wrote:

It isn't so much a "number of devices" thing. Tri-Band wifi is designed to be faster even with a single device.

@Biyahero wrote:

I can't forsee having more than 20 devices in our household which would be turned on at the same time ...

That's what I thought. Then I started getting all sorts of Internet of Things (IoT) bits and pieces that use wifi.

Message 2 of 5
Biyahero
Apprentice

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Biyahero wrote:

@Biyahero wrote:

Thanks for your comments and insights @michaelkenward !

I decided to go with the Orbi Mesh RBK753S-100NAS for the reasons you mentioned. It is more expensive but at least I will have less chance of being disappointed.

In the end being satisfied with the performance is preferable to saving some money and being disappointd and mad later.

Message 3 of 5

Orbi is a good option for people who want decent wifi that is easily set up.

Message 4 of 5
Biyahero
Apprentice

@michaelkenward wrote:

Orbi is a good option for people who want decent wifi that is easily set up.

Thanks!  That is me.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7