Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Keep ISP from broadcasting hidden SSID network using your router + Nighthawk R7000

RockoSweat
Aspirant

Keep ISP from broadcasting hidden SSID network using your router + Nighthawk R7000

The problem: My ISP broadcasts a hidden SSID network (or two) using my router. The network(s) follow my home network around, regardless of what channel I put it on. I've spoken with the ISP in the past, and they have assured me that it should not happen anymore, but it still does.

Response: I have searched through all of my router settings and I simply cannot find a setting that deals with this. Months ago, I disabled the guest network(s), thinking this would take care of the issue; but it hasn't.

Request: Will someone with a good amount of knowledge on the Nighthawk R7000 please let me know if there is a way to keep this from happening, and; if so, please let me know how to get to this setting and stop this from happening.

Extra: The networks that pop-up interfere heavily with my WiFi signal and makes wireless gaming nearly unplayable.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
RockoSweat
Aspirant

Re: Keep ISP from broadcasting hidden SSID network using your router + Nighthawk R7000

Hey there,

All of your questions got me looking and playing around with a lot of different devices, settings, ect.

I was wrong. It looks like the hidden SSID which was causing me the most issues was a network created by Google Chrome Cast which was later revealed to be Living Room TV.[x] . I didn't use that device too often, so I unplugged it and the issue was solved. No more hidden SSIDs. At least on my 2.4 ghz network anyways. When I looked at the 5 ghz network, there were still two networks following my network around. One was revealed to be a FireTV stick, and the other is still unknown. At the moment, it doesn't appear to be causing any issues with media playback on my TVs. If it does, I will use the MAC address suggestion someone posted here.

Turns out, I had a configuration error. Both of my networks had the same exact name. Once I changed the names of both networks, three of the four "hidden" SSIDs revealed themselves and I could then mitigate the issue from there. At the moment, everything seems to be OK. I will continue to monitor the 5 ghz network to see if there are any playback issues with the other two networks present.

Also, just for clarity, I didn't have an ONT, but just a CAT 6 plugged into the wall, and then a cable line running from my house to the telephone poles. And thank you for the update recommendation; the devices connected to my router now have pictures that show what they are if the name is not specific enough. Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for your help/suggestions!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Keep ISP from broadcasting hidden SSID network using your router + Nighthawk R7000

How do you know the isp is going this? 

How are you detecting this hidden ssid? 

What firmware is on the router? 

what modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

Message 2 of 8
RockoSweat
Aspirant

- ISPs have this practice of utilizing their customer's routers with or without their knowledge to help provide WiFi access to people around your residence that want to log into the companies resources. I first saw Comcast doing this years ago. They called it guest networks. After a Google search (there isn't much on this), it shows that I am not the only one dealing with this, but I have not discovered a viable solution to this problem. I ruled out my settings being an issue, and I have ruled out some sort of hacker/neighbor who is just waiting for me to change the WiFi channel and then following suit.This only leaves the ISP.

- I am detecting these two hidden networks using a tool on my smart phone called WiFi Analyzer.

- V1.0.9.18_1.2.27

- The gateway is an Optical Network Terminal

Thank you for looking into this for me.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@RockoSweat wrote:

- ISPs have this practice of utilizing their customer's routers with or without their knowledge to help provide WiFi access to people around your residence that want to log into the companies resources. I first saw Comcast doing this years ago. They called it guest networks. After a Google search (there isn't much on this), it shows that I am not the only one dealing with this, but I have not discovered a viable solution to this problem. I ruled out my settings being an issue, and I have ruled out some sort of hacker/neighbor who is just waiting for me to change the WiFi channel and then following suit.This only leaves the ISP.------The isp controls the firmware on modems and modem/router combo devices. not plain routers. The R7000 is a router only device. The isp can't push firmware to it. You control it. 

- I am detecting these two hidden networks using a tool on my smart phone called WiFi Analyzer.-----Take a screen snip of it. and the networks in your area. Then highlight the one that you thinks from your router.  That's more beneficial. 

- V1.0.9.18_1.2.27-----that is a super old firmware on that router. The newest is 1.0.11.130, have you tried updating? 

- The gateway is an Optical Network Terminal----which one?

Thank you for looking into this for me.

Message 4 of 8
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@RockoSweat   I've just changed my R7000 for a TP-Link GX90 and I also have a 'hidden' locked network sat there in the background that cannot be accessed. I believe it's coming from my router, not from my ISP. I believe it has something to do with Onemesh to build up the wireless mesh system. I'm wondering if this is also applicable to Netgear for their wireless mesh system? In any case, it isn't causing me any issues.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 8
Kitsap
Master

In Wi-Fi Analyzer, go to the Access Points page, behind the SSID either what it shows or *hidden* and you will see in parentheses the MAC address of the source.  Some devices have a separate MAC address for the wireless radios and one for the ethernet port.

Message 6 of 8
RockoSweat
Aspirant

Hey there,

All of your questions got me looking and playing around with a lot of different devices, settings, ect.

I was wrong. It looks like the hidden SSID which was causing me the most issues was a network created by Google Chrome Cast which was later revealed to be Living Room TV.[x] . I didn't use that device too often, so I unplugged it and the issue was solved. No more hidden SSIDs. At least on my 2.4 ghz network anyways. When I looked at the 5 ghz network, there were still two networks following my network around. One was revealed to be a FireTV stick, and the other is still unknown. At the moment, it doesn't appear to be causing any issues with media playback on my TVs. If it does, I will use the MAC address suggestion someone posted here.

Turns out, I had a configuration error. Both of my networks had the same exact name. Once I changed the names of both networks, three of the four "hidden" SSIDs revealed themselves and I could then mitigate the issue from there. At the moment, everything seems to be OK. I will continue to monitor the 5 ghz network to see if there are any playback issues with the other two networks present.

Also, just for clarity, I didn't have an ONT, but just a CAT 6 plugged into the wall, and then a cable line running from my house to the telephone poles. And thank you for the update recommendation; the devices connected to my router now have pictures that show what they are if the name is not specific enough. Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for your help/suggestions!

Message 7 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@RockoSweat wrote:

Also, just for clarity, I didn't have an ONT, but just a CAT 6 plugged into the wall, and then a cable line running from my house to the telephone poles.

Somewhere between the category 6 ethernet in your wall and the cable line line running to the telephone poles is a piece of hardware.  It could be a modem only or a modem/wireless router.  The wireless router would be another source of Wi-Fi signals.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7