Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 Slow/Stuttering Video Streaming

stuntboots
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 Slow/Stuttering Video Streaming

Hi there!

Basically, video streaming is extremely poor in my home. Both wired and wirelessly on laptops, desktops, iPhones, iPads, a Nexus and Apple TVs. (Haven't tested the mobiles wired, but the computers and ATVs I have.) However if I do a speed test at http://www.speedtest.net, I get anywhere between 85Mbps and 95Mbps.

I'm on cable internet, and have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 with firmware V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 (It tells me an upgrade is available, but when I click it it says I'm up to date, I checked the website and it seems the latest on there is older?) connected to my provider's provided modem in bridge mode.  I also have the QoS enabled downstream, but have tried disabling it and still get the same issue.

The whole internet runs perfectly fast, but when streaming any kind of video, whether it's from YouTube, Netflix, Hulu or websites who host their own video streaming, like Steam or Polygon, videos will constantly pause to buffer sometimes for ~1-2 minutes, if they resume at all. Sometimes resetting the modem/router or device (like the Apple TV) will get it going again for awhile, but it's definitely not always a reliable fix.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Happy to try any kind of diagnosing, obviously!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
stuntboots
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Slow/Stuttering Video Streaming

Actually it didn't seem to fix it for my Apple TV. Still got constant buffering on HBO Now. However I have since turned off WMM, and that seems to have me streaming perfectly fine. Takes a second to start up after playing or rewinding/fast forwarding then playing, but once it's going, no pauses. Hopefully it's not just coincidence!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

@stuntboots wrote:

Hi there!

Basically, video streaming is extremely poor in my home. Both wired and wirelessly on laptops, desktops, iPhones, iPads, a Nexus and Apple TVs. (Haven't tested the mobiles wired, but the computers and ATVs I have.) However if I do a speed test at http://www.speedtest.net, I get anywhere between 85Mbps and 95Mbps.

I'm on cable internet, and have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 with firmware V1.0.5.48_1.1.79 (It tells me an upgrade is available, but when I click it it says I'm up to date, I checked the website and it seems the latest on there is older?) connected to my provider's provided modem in bridge mode.  I also have the QoS enabled downstream, but have tried disabling it and still get the same issue.

The whole internet runs perfectly fast, but when streaming any kind of video, whether it's from YouTube, Netflix, Hulu or websites who host their own video streaming, like Steam or Polygon, videos will constantly pause to buffer sometimes for ~1-2 minutes, if they resume at all. Sometimes resetting the modem/router or device (like the Apple TV) will get it going again for awhile, but it's definitely not always a reliable fix.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Happy to try any kind of diagnosing, obviously!

First, I have NOT used the F/W release you are using, that was and old beta and had problems.

I have never had QoS on, just the WMM is enabled on the QoS tab.

I stream NetFix, Amazon Prime, on a Samsung Smart TV (FireTV stick on another TV), and iPad's. Also on iPad's I stream many apps including Showtime, HBO Go, and many others. No problems at all.

I was on V1.0.4.30 and now on the last Beta (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-FW-1-0-5-60/m-p/1070857#M30302). All works fine. The Beta, 1.0.5.60 replaced all the releases after V1.0.4.30 which is the LAST official one. The one you are using and one after it were pulled for problems.

First I'd disable QoS and make sure WMM is enabled. Test again. If not drop back to either of the 2 above releases and re-test. Works for m.

Message 2 of 8
netwrks
Master

@stuntboots wrote:

Hi there!

Is the buffering on all clients, (wired / wireless) or just one?

Message 3 of 8
stuntboots
Tutor

Hi netwrks,

It's buffering on all clients, both wired and wireless, and different types of devices.

Message 4 of 8
stuntboots
Tutor

Hey, thanks IrvSp!

I'll try out that new firmware, my current version having been pulled for errors doesn't indicate anything good! Hehe. I'll try updating to the latest beta and disabling QoS while enabling WMM and report back!

Message 5 of 8
at0o0o
Aspirant

I had the same problem as you. Try changing the 2.4GHz mode to 289Mbps and the 5GHz mode to 600Mbps. Make sure QOS is disabled for both downstream and upstream. WMM should be enabled for both channels. It's very stable with these settings and I've no need to reboot my router since. 

Message 6 of 8
stuntboots
Tutor

Heya! Thanks for the post! I've adjusted these settings, though I'm not convinced they were issue, just because I was getting the same performance problems when connected via ethernet? However, I have applied them, as well as upgrading my fireware to the latest beta recommended above. On preliminary tests, it seems that streaming has definitely improved! But I'll need to actually use it properly to confirm!

I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks very much for the help so far!

Message 7 of 8
stuntboots
Tutor

Actually it didn't seem to fix it for my Apple TV. Still got constant buffering on HBO Now. However I have since turned off WMM, and that seems to have me streaming perfectly fine. Takes a second to start up after playing or rewinding/fast forwarding then playing, but once it's going, no pauses. Hopefully it's not just coincidence!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7