Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port Forwarding Problems on Netgear Nighthawk R6700

evmoore
Aspirant

Port Forwarding Problems on Netgear Nighthawk R6700

I've been trying to forward ports on my Netgear R6700. V1.0.1.16_10.0.30

I have an Arris 6183 modem.

After playing around for several hours last night I managed to get it to work, but I had to check "Default DMZ Server" and then manually set an IP address. However, when I turned my computers on tonight when I got home from work, none of them could connect to the internet. I could not even connect to the router with the 192.168.1.1 login. I wound up having to reset my router completely to reestablish internet service. I'm now afraid to select "Default DMZ Server" box again.

One of the problems I seem to be having is that my 3 computers are randomly assigned IP addresses each time I turn them on. I need these ports specifically for a program I run on my laptop computer.

The ports I'm trying to open are 1700 and 1800.

NAT Filtering = Open
UPNP = On

Under Advanced I've selected Port Forwarding tab. I have the box checked for Port Forwarding (not port triggering) and typed in 1700 for external and internal. And 1800 for external and internal. For Internal IP address I chose 192.168.1.2 because that's the IPv4 address that was assigned to my laptop last night.

One of the problems I seem to be having is that my computers get randomly assigned IP addresses each time I turn them on.They vary between 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.4

I've tried testing the ports on canyouseeme.org but I always get the fail message.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
evmoore
Aspirant

Re: Port Forwarding Problems on Netgear Nighthawk R6700

I managed to get the ports forwarded in the past few ago (finally). Thanks everyone for the assistance.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @evmoore

You may use Address Reservation feature on the router if you want those computers to have a static IP address assigned to it.

See the link below on how to configure Address Reservation. 

How do I reserve an IP address on my NETGEAR router?

Message 2 of 10
evmoore
Aspirant

That was a small part of my question that was answered - but not the question involving the core issue - which is why the ports won't forward, and how to fix it so they do.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@evmoore wrote:

That was a small part of my question that was answered - but not the question involving the core issue - which is why the ports won't forward, and how to fix it so they do.

What device is between the router and the ISP network?

Message 4 of 10
evmoore
Aspirant

You're referring to the modem? Arris 6183

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@evmoore wrote:

You're referring to the modem? Arris 6183

Yes.  I wanted to confirm that it wasn't a gateway (which it isn't).

Also, does the router's internet IP address look like 100.x.x.x?  

192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x are all private addresses (and you'd see one of those if you were using a gateway).

100.x.x.x isn't exactly private, but it is reserved for Carrier NAT, so it's not a public internet address either.

Message 6 of 10
evmoore
Aspirant

Where am I supposed to look to see this? I dialed into the Arris modem, but I don't see much listed for configurations.

Under Addresses Tab is says  6c:ca:08:70:58:7c and 10:da:43:8d:07:c4

Message 7 of 10
evmoore
Aspirant

Sorry, you were asking about the router.

No, the internal IP address isn't 100.x.x.x or anything like that

Message 8 of 10
schumaku
Guru

No, the question was about the public / WAN / Internet address.

Click the "Internet" button on the Basic Home ...on Basic -> Internet you find the currenty typically ISP assinged public IP address:

Internet Public IP Address.PNG 

Carrier grade NAT range (RFC6598 - IANA-Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space would be 100.64.0.0/10 resp.100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255 to be exact.

Message 9 of 10
evmoore
Aspirant

I managed to get the ports forwarded in the past few ago (finally). Thanks everyone for the assistance.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7