Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Packet Loss

Isaac2156
Aspirant

R7000 Packet Loss

It all started when I hopped on Fortnite with a couple of buddies. I was in a game with them and all of a sudden, it shows that I have severe packet loss and I lag so much on there. Now, the packet loss now affects my Phone, my laptop, etc. Keep in mind that before I hopped on Fortnite and such, I didn’t have any trouble with lag nor packet loss. I’m already on Firmware Version .42 for your information. Can anyone help me fix it? Is there a solution for not getting packet loss and great speeds? I like to game and I pretty much can’t on everything such as my Xbox, laptop, and phone.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 Packet Loss

Is it happening on wired and wireless? 

What modem/gateway do you have? 

Have you checked the modem's connect? direct connect the modem to the xbox and see if you still have the same issue

Message 2 of 9
Isaac2156
Aspirant

I am wireless, no clue about wired. I do have a NETGEAR Cable Modem CM500. What do you mean by checking the Modem’s connect? Connect the modem to the Xbox?
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

yes, try it with the xbox directly connected to the modem. That helps determine if its a router issue or a modem/isp issue. 

Message 4 of 9
Isaac2156
Aspirant

Unfortunately , I do not think I will be able to try and do that as both my router and modem are located in the living room, which makes it difficult. I have the power plugged in, the Ethernet cable plugged into the router, and the Cable/Ethernet also plugged in. Is there any other way?
Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

You could use a laptop/pc or even move the xbox to test it. 

Its kind of key as you need to determine if the issue is indeed the router or if its the modem or ISP signal. 

Message 6 of 9
Isaac2156
Aspirant

Alright, so I decided to use another TV that was laying around my house (better than the TV I have with my Xbox) and decided to set it near my Router and Modem. I then brought the Xbox and set it up with the TV. I connected the Modem to my Xbox using the Ethernet Cable but it said there was no internet and I couldn’t test out Fortnite. I then did the same with the R7000 but it gave out the same results. Finally, I just decided to go back to the original and connect the modem to the router then finally I could test Fortnite out. Surprisingly, there was really no severe packet loss, I mean there was little to no packet loss. Furthermore, I disbanded the setup and went back to my room, I switched my old TV with this TV and tested out Fortnite. Same results, but still a bit of packet loss causing lag. I hope you can get something out of this. Any other suggestions or did I do something wrong?
Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Isaac2156 wrote:
Alright, so I decided to use another TV that was laying around my house (better than the TV I have with my Xbox) and decided to set it near my Router and Modem. I then brought the Xbox and set it up with the TV. I connected the Modem to my Xbox using the Ethernet Cable but it said there was no internet and I couldn’t test out Fortnite. I then did the same with the R7000 but it gave out the same results. Finally, I just decided to go back to the original and connect the modem to the router then finally I could test Fortnite out. Surprisingly, there was really no severe packet loss, I mean there was little to no packet loss. Furthermore, I disbanded the setup and went back to my room, I switched my old TV with this TV and tested out Fortnite. Same results, but still a bit of packet loss causing lag. I hope you can get something out of this. Any other suggestions or did I do something wrong?

When you connect a device to a modem, you have to have powered off the modem for a couple minutes. Then connect your device and power the modem back on. 

Message 8 of 9

@plemans wrote:

When you connect a device to a modem, you have to have powered off the modem for a couple minutes. Then connect your device and power the modem back on. 

It might be worth pointing out that a very simple thing to try when an issue like this suddenly crops up is to reboot the network. That forces things to set up clean connections between devices on the network.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7