Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 firmware update to V1.0.7.2_1.1.93 killed my upload speed

KimJinGA
Initiate

R7000 firmware update to V1.0.7.2_1.1.93 killed my upload speed

Earlier this week, I upgraded our Mediacom internet from the "Prime" (15 mbps download, 1 mbps upload) to "Prime Plus" (50/10). The rep suggested I update my router FW. Day one of new package, I totally forgot to even check the FW and was getting the full 50/10. Day two I remembered and checked my Netgear Genie -- sure enough, there was an upgrade. So upgrade I did. Big mistake! My download speeds are still up there but my upload speeds are garbage -- 1.88 mbps or less.

I have tested from three different computers both via wifi and using an ethernet cable.  I've rebooted the modem, the router, my computer --- nothing makes it better. 

Keep in mind that I am not a super tech person. I'm an everyday Joe type who knows that I should have faster speeds but I don't so my boss is griping (I work from home and have to have consistently decent upload speeds), my kid is screeching (she is in online charter school and many of her lessons are timed) and my husband is raging because Xbox Live keeps kicking him out of Destiny for crappy speeds. From what I've read here (and after a lot of searching and looking up terms mentioned that I didn't even know what they mean), the way I see it, I have one of three options ...

1. Buy a router that is not Netgear and hope it's better
2. Do a factory reset 
3. Download the 1.0.4.30 FW version and downgrade back to what I had.

Am I missing anything? Option 1 isn't really an option because I'm still reeling from the cost of older daughter's wedding last month followed by three days in the cardiac care unit (lesson learned: boys are cheaper and stress is not my friend). Option 2 and 3 make my head hurt because I suspect that if I do either, I'm going to be reconfiguring the extender, the laptops, the phones, the xbox, etc. Is there an easier way to downgrade back to what I had? Thanks in advance!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
KimJinGA
Initiate

Re: R7000 firmware update to V1.0.7.2_1.1.93 killed my upload speed

Thank you Elaine! It turns out that, despite the first two tech/CSR people's swearing it was my router, not their service, it was a Mediacom issue. I took my router to my mom's (different ISP that I can't get out here in the country) and it singed along like it was in the Indy race. Yet another call to Mediacom and I finally got a tech that could do more than tell me it was my router (their standard answer). This guy actually looked at my signal history and called it a "roll truck event." Said it didn't matter what router or firmware I had, the upload speeds would be awful as it was an issue on the pole. 

This morning a tech came out and "fixed" it. (not) An hour later with upload speeds of less than 1 mbps and another call where I was on hold for one hour and 6 minutes and the CSR once again tried to tell me it was my router. I only snapped a little bit but it was enough to get me pushed up the food chain and 2nd guy rebooted my signal and viola! Speeds like I was supposed to have all along. It was totally coincidental that my signal "distorted" right after my FW upgrade. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Number 3

Message 2 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@KimJinGA Try to factory reset. Use backup and restore for easy reconfiguration. Observe your connection afterwards.

If that didn't help, you can always downgrade the firmware by downloading the firmware manually from our download page then upload it manually.

Download page

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router?

Message 3 of 4
KimJinGA
Initiate

Thank you Elaine! It turns out that, despite the first two tech/CSR people's swearing it was my router, not their service, it was a Mediacom issue. I took my router to my mom's (different ISP that I can't get out here in the country) and it singed along like it was in the Indy race. Yet another call to Mediacom and I finally got a tech that could do more than tell me it was my router (their standard answer). This guy actually looked at my signal history and called it a "roll truck event." Said it didn't matter what router or firmware I had, the upload speeds would be awful as it was an issue on the pole. 

This morning a tech came out and "fixed" it. (not) An hour later with upload speeds of less than 1 mbps and another call where I was on hold for one hour and 6 minutes and the CSR once again tried to tell me it was my router. I only snapped a little bit but it was enough to get me pushed up the food chain and 2nd guy rebooted my signal and viola! Speeds like I was supposed to have all along. It was totally coincidental that my signal "distorted" right after my FW upgrade. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7