Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router constantly needs rebooting - no internal connectivity (just internet)

Cleverfiend
Tutor

Router constantly needs rebooting - no internal connectivity (just internet)

I've suffered from the flaky wifi with this router (although it's better than it used to be) but that's easy to recognise as all connectivity just stops (and the debug page often shows the router reboots at this point)

The latest problem driving me mad is the lack of internal routing/connectivity - devices connected still work on the internet but can't see each other. For example I can't see my IP cams, can't print to networked laser printer. Click reboot on the control panel, router restarts and everything is fine again - printing pops straight out of the printer etc. Happening several times a day at the moment.

Any suggestions which settings I can tweak? 

I had the same issue with my combined cable modem/router which also has netgear firmware - that's why I use it in modem mode and have a separate router. Is it just shoddy netgear coding or have I set something up wrong. I have around 30 devices wired/wireless on my network.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Cleverfiend
Tutor

Re: Router constantly needs rebooting - no internal connectivity (just internet)

Interestingly that upgrading to the Tomato firmware has removed ALL the problems I had with the router. It is now rock solid and doesn't need rebooting on a daily basis.

That proves the problem was the shoddy Netgear firmware - even will all the unwanted crud like Disney Circle turned off.

My only hesitation with using Tomato is updates/patches and bugfixes - but it has breathed new life into my router, at least until I upgrade to a new model (which will not be a netgear!)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Re: Router constantly needs rebooting - no internal connectivity (just internet)

which firmware version? not "the latest" but a number

Have you done a factory reset?

Message 2 of 6
IrvSp
Master

OK, let me guess... you are running W10 on at least ONE PC?

That is the REAL reason I think, especially when it happens with the Modem as well.

The root problem is what MS depricated (that means they do not enable it normally) which is SMB 1 and that means the COMPUTER BROWSER as well. MS did this on W10 as of the old Fall Creator version, V1709.

Long story short, you need to ENABLE SMB 1 on ALL Win10 PC's.  See https://www.windowscentral.com/how-access-files-network-devices-using-smbv1-windows-10 on how to do this. MS switched to WS-Discovery for sharing, and NG has NOT implemented this, and I was told will NOT and any router! (newer routers may have this function though)

The basic problem is that NG is using NETBIOS for discovery of shares. That requires SMB 1 running. When a PC is designated as the holder of the list of devices it tries to get the list. It can't so when others look for the list nothing is found and you can't see or connect devices to each other (simplified overview). Enabling SMB1 makes this all work.

Give it a try and report back.

Message 3 of 6
Cleverfiend
Tutor

Firmware

Hardware Version R7000

Firmware Version V1.0.9.64_10.2.64

GUI Language Version V1.0.9.64_2.1.38.1

I've already enabled SMBv1 for my NAS drive.

The problem (when it occurs) is between any two devices - for example my ipad won't be able to see my ipcam. Reboot and all works fine. Computer can't see printer - reboot and printout comes straight out. I don't have the right combination of devices to test if this happens on the wired network but it definitely happens on the wired network (both frequencies)

Message 4 of 6
Cleverfiend
Tutor

Interestingly that upgrading to the Tomato firmware has removed ALL the problems I had with the router. It is now rock solid and doesn't need rebooting on a daily basis.

That proves the problem was the shoddy Netgear firmware - even will all the unwanted crud like Disney Circle turned off.

My only hesitation with using Tomato is updates/patches and bugfixes - but it has breathed new life into my router, at least until I upgrade to a new model (which will not be a netgear!)

Message 5 of 6
myersw
Master

@Cleverfiend 

There is fresh tomato. This is currently being supported. 

http://freshtomato.org/

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7