Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router throttling speeds?

Router throttling speeds?

I have both a Nighthawk modem and Router(R6700v3). ISP internet is 600-700mbps. When i hardwire my laptop directly into the modem, I get these speeds. however, anything plugged into the router itself gets a max of maybe 250mbps including the same laptop using the same ethernet cable.

Any settings or suggestions to fix this?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
SgtWorm
Initiate

Re: Router throttling speeds?

Roll the firmware back to 3_66. Looking through all the things I can find... isn’t much and NETGEAR support just hangs up on you. Useless pieces of **bleep**. Yes I work support, and yes I work in tech. The firmware after their Armor release seems to throttle at 250. Don’t know if it is the armor or what, but every update after that throttles at 250 even on a FIOS connection. Don’t waste time or money on their support as they don’t know nor want to help.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies

@crashnburn441 wrote:

I have both a Nighthawk modem

Model number?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 2 of 8

Nighthawk Router Firmware version is V1.0.4.84

Modem is NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem with Voice - CM1150V - dont know how to check firmware version on that, however as I said hard-wiring other devices into that directly achieves speeds that I am supposed to get. 

Message 3 of 8

@crashnburn441 wrote:

Modem is NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem with Voice - CM1150V - dont know how to check firmware version on that, however as I said hard-wiring other devices into that directly achieves speeds that I am supposed to get. 

OK. Not a modem/router. Forget about its firmware. It is beyond your control.

Check that you do not have QoS enabled on the R6700. Traffic metering, parental controls and other stuff that puts a strain on the R6700's processor can also cause slowdowns.

@crashnburn441 wrote:

Nighthawk Router Firmware version is V1.0.4.84

I haven't seen a flood of reports of issues with that version, but you could try going back a version or two to see if it helps.

When you try different versions, it can help to do a factory reset with the new firmware.

Message 4 of 8

Factory reset and rolled back router to version I opened out of the box... V1.0.4.82_10.0.57 - same results. Still getting around 250mbps wired in.

All QoS settings are unchecked and most settings are defaulted from reset.
Message 5 of 8
SgtWorm
Initiate

Roll the firmware back to 3_66. Looking through all the things I can find... isn’t much and NETGEAR support just hangs up on you. Useless pieces of **bleep**. Yes I work support, and yes I work in tech. The firmware after their Armor release seems to throttle at 250. Don’t know if it is the armor or what, but every update after that throttles at 250 even on a FIOS connection. Don’t waste time or money on their support as they don’t know nor want to help.
Message 6 of 8

@SgtWorm wrote:
Don’t know if it is the armor or what, but every update after that throttles at 250 even on a FIOS connection.

One possibility on thatr front is that this Armor stuff eats into the router's processor power. After all, it means that the router has to "police" the traffic that flows through it. That needs work.

In the past, one solution to "my router is slowing me down" complaints was to turn off QoS, traffic metering, logging and anything that take processor power. Now they have slapped on another layer of complexity.

In an attempt to shoehorn Armor into the router's memory, Netgear has also removed various features, such as media servers. someone of a suspicious mind might jump to the conclusion that these things are under powered.

Message 7 of 8

Jesus praise the lord this was it. Thanks for replying I was losing it for months. Rolled back to that version and viola were at 650Mbps.

Can someone wake me up when they have a new update that doesn’t destroy the capabilities of their hardware?
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7