Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setup for connecting two routers (R7000 & XR1000)

harveybirdman
Aspirant

Setup for connecting two routers (R7000 & XR1000)

Hi, I'm super confused on how I should be properly setting up a second router. I have my modem, two routers (R7000 & XR1000) and PC all wired. Ideally I'd like both routers to support the same wireless network (e.g. one SSID). Here's a quick diagram showing my setup and the ports I plugged into: https://imgur.com/a/7fn1cDq

After plugging it in, my internet on my PC is working without changing any settings. But I have two wireless networks. If I go to routerlogin.net it only lets me connect to my R7000. Same with on my phone, even if I'm connected on my phone to the XR1000 wireless, it won't load the XR1000 router settings. I can only access the XR1000 settings if I unplug everything except the ethernet straight to the PC.

So my questions are:

1. Am I plugged into the right ports? (see diagram)

2. How do I sort out having just a single wireless network?

3. For the wired network, should I be putting something into AP or bridge mode or something else or doing some DHCP/IP settings, or can I leave it since it seems to be working?

4. Is there an easy/proper way to access the settings pages on two routers at the same time?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Setup for connecting two routers (R7000 & XR1000)

try setting the XR for AP mode if the R7000 is the primary router:

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Though I would set the XR as primary and then configure the R7000 for AP mode.

Far appart channels are needed in between the XR and R series routers for wifi settings. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

try setting the XR for AP mode if the R7000 is the primary router:

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Though I would set the XR as primary and then configure the R7000 for AP mode.

Far appart channels are needed in between the XR and R series routers for wifi settings. 

Message 2 of 8
Kitsap
Master

For your Ethernet connections.  Output of your modem should connect to the WAN input of your primary router.  One of the primary router output ports should connect to the WAN input port on your other router configured as a wired access point.

Don't know why you have your XR1000 connected downstream of your R7000.  I second @FURRYe38 recommendation to set your XR1000 as the primary router connected to your modem and configure your R7000 as an access point.

Message 3 of 8
harveybirdman
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38  and @Kitsap . I've swapped around the R7000 and XR1000 and it seems to be working. 

Only remaining problem is how do I access the dashboard of the R7000 now? If I go to routerlogin.net it brings me to the XR1000 dashboard. I tried unplugging everything and plugging the R7000 direct to the PC and then going to routerlogin.net/192.168.1.1 but it wouldn't load. 

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you put the R7000 in AP mode, look at the XRs connected devices list and see if the R7000 appears there, if so, look at the IP address. Use this IP address to access the R7000 in AP mode. One could set a static IP address of 192.168.#.70 on the R7000 so you'd know always how to access the R7000 while in AP mode. I recommend setting a Default DHCP IP address pool range of .100 to .200 on the XR router as well. 

Message 5 of 8
harveybirdman
Aspirant

Thanks, so far so good. I set a static IP on the R7000 and then reserved that on the XR1000. I can now access the two separate admin pages on their own IPs.

For the Wifi, I set the XR1000 to channel 3 and the R7000 to channel 11. Right now they have different SSIDs. Should I make them the same name or better to keep different?

Message 6 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@harveybirdman wrote:

Thanks, so far so good. I set a static IP on the R7000 and then reserved that on the XR1000. I can now access the two separate admin pages on their own IPs.

For the Wifi, I set the XR1000 to channel 3 and the R7000 to channel 11. Right now they have different SSIDs. Should I make them the same name or better to keep different?

Your progress is duly noted. 😊  Thanks for sharing back.

Do you have a lot of close in Wi-Fi neighbors?  If not, you could go to channel 1 on the XR1000 Wi-Fi for 2.4 GHz.  If yes, channel 6 would also work.

The SSID naming is mostly personal preference.  I do not do a lot of roaming.  When I am in one section of the house I like to connect to a specific Wi-Fi of my choosing.  Thus the different names.

How have you handled the SSID on the 5 GHz band?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend using channel 1 instead of 3 on the XR router. Primary channels to use are 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. I would keep them different...

@harveybirdman wrote:

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7