Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to join 2.4G

neilwar
Tutor

Unable to join 2.4G

I have been using my router for a couple of years with no problem but recently all my 2.4G devices lost connection. 

I changed the security from WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] to just WPA2-PSK [AES] and all seemed fine for a couple of weeks and then it happened again.

this time nothing I try will let me reconnect. I've tried the different security types, lowered it from 600 to 54 Mbps, changed the channels etc but still can't connect.

My two 5G networks are unnafected and still work fine.

Any ideas? I can't use my 2.4G devices at the moment and it's a right pain.

Manythanks

Neil

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10

Re: Unable to join 2.4G

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 10
neilwar
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.

FW is V1.0.4.62_10.1.74

I have a Virgin Superhub 3 in modem mode.

hope this helps 

Neil

Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

If you have an Android mobile (could be an older model starting from Android 6, too) install the WiFi Analyzer (by farproc) e.g. from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en&gl=US and look into the air if there are the 5 GHz and thr suspect missing 2.4 GHz BSSID on air.

Message 4 of 10
neilwar
Tutor

Android? All Apple in this household so, unfortunately, can't use that.

Thanksanyway.

Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

So try https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlf4de377f of this will unveil information of the wireless bands on air.

Message 6 of 10
neilwar
Tutor

When I said all Apple, I meant our mobile devices, that link only works for MacOS not iOS.

I do have a windows laptop (Win10), I never use it but could fire it up if there is a windows equivalent?

sorry to be such a pain and thanks again.

Neil

Message 7 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Message 8 of 10

Are both wifi LEDs showing?

Have you been inside the browser graphical user interface (GUI) to check that it is set to broadcast the 2.4 GHz SSID and that it is turned on?

Have you tried a factory reset on the thing to get you back to the default settings:

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

A factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues, especially with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

Message 9 of 10
neilwar
Tutor

Thank you both, I'm out at the moment but will try tomorrow.

thanks for your replies.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7