Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X8 R8500 + EX8000 or Orbi AX6000? Which is best?

vitus
Aspirant

X8 R8500 + EX8000 or Orbi AX6000? Which is best?

I currently have an X8 R8500 but we still have some dead/weak spots in the house so I have a few questions for those more familiar with Netgear.

Will the EX8000 work with my X8 R8500 to extend? How about the EAX80?

Would it be better to get the Orbi AX6000? What would I gain or lose between the Orbi AX6000 vs the X8 + EX8000? How about the EAX80 instead of the EX8000?

I am always up for upgrading but the Orbi price tag is a bit steep. At the same time, I'm concerned about losing some usability with the consequences of the backhaul using the R8500 + EX8000 set up. I'm guessing that one of the 3 bands gets taken up for backhaul tasks. The EAX80 is listed as dual band so it seems it would be even more impacted. I know I could run CAT 6 for the backhaul but that wont be an option for a while and may not be an option for some areas.

I have read up on these mesh systems and extenders a bit but I'm just not sure how these in particular would work together and how it would compare to the Orbi AX6000. If keeping the R8500 and extending off of it with one of those extenders didn't cause a reduction in services and I'm not missing much by not taking the opportunity to upgrade to the AX6000 I would consider keeping it. If the AX6000 was enough pure improvement, I would consider it.

Your thoughts, opinions, and education are greatly appreciated. 

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: X8 R8500 + EX8000 or Orbi AX6000? Which is best?

Try plugging your needs into the filters on the product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

WiFi Range Extenders: Boost Your WiFi Range | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

Message 2 of 5
vitus
Aspirant

Thanks for those links. I'm more wishing there was a comparison tool to compare what my R8500 has to what is available now. The R8500 is a great router, I really like it and I'd hate to accidentally downgrade features and functionality. I dont know if the Orbi firmware features are less, better, or equal to the R8500. 

Message 3 of 5

@vitus wrote:

The R8500 is a great router, I really like it and I'd hate to accidentally downgrade features and functionality.

I'd stick with what you have got then.

You don't provide much detail beyond "we still have some dead/weak spots in the house". That could be many things. What do you use in those dead spots? How many are there? Would  a single repeater be enough to fill them? Are they all wifi devices or are some of them fixed and unlikely to move? (A smart TV for example.)

As you say Orbi is an expensive option. Bolting it on to something that works now costs more than just adding an extender or something as simple as Powerline Ethernet with a wifi access point built in.

@vitus wrote:

I dont know if the Orbi firmware features are less, better, or equal to the R8500. 

Visit the relevant sections of this community for guidance on that. No data sheet is going to answer that question.

Personally, all I want of firmware is that it is reliable and has the features I need. You haven't mentioned anything that you want on that front beyond filling weak spots. I don't consider that to be a firmware issue, unlike access to features such as Circle or Armor. I use neither, but by hardware supports them.

Message 4 of 5
JFII
Guide

@vitus wrote:

Thanks for those links. I'm more wishing there was a comparison tool to compare what my R8500 has to what is available now. The R8500 is a great router, I really like it and I'd hate to accidentally downgrade features and functionality. I dont know if the Orbi firmware features are less, better, or equal to the R8500. 

Wouldnt it be nice if this got updated...

https://www.netgear.com/images/NG_WirelessRouterComparisonGuide24Sept1318-44305.pdf

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7