Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xbox Optimized QOS

Valek
Aspirant

Xbox Optimized QOS

According to the description of the R7000 it has optimized QOS for Xbox and I read a review that mentioned that Netgear worked with Microsoft to get the best optimization possible for gaming and the new Xbox one.

So, my question is do you need to set up this Xbox optimized QOS or is it already setup out of the box optimized for Xbox?
Just wondering because I currently do not use QOS on my WNDR4500 and my gaming is fine, so I wonder if the R7000 will be even better.

Thanks for any info.
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Lexist2112
Luminary

Re: Xbox Optimized QOS

Okay.... have to understand port forwarding XBOX and QoS/Prioritization are 2 separate configurations. Port forwarding configurations allows you to enter XBOX live and use the Mic for voice. QoS/Prioritization then sets the XBOX as the HIGHEST priority so it will receive the most bandwidth for lag free gaming!!!! Over someone else who is on YOUR network surfing the web and possibly streaming youtube or buying stuff on Amazon!!!!!! Your XBOX will take priority over all of that!!! Here is the Port forwarding config. If you have a firewall or network hardware, such as a router, you might need to make a configuration change in order for your PC or Xbox 360 console to communicate with Xbox Live. This configuration change is sometimes called “opening ports” or "port forwarding." Xbox Live requires the following ports to be open: Port 88 (UDP) Port 3074 (UDP and TCP) Port 53 (UDP and TCP) Port 80 (TCP)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
Lexist2112
Luminary

Valek wrote:
According to the description of the R7000 it has optimized QOS for Xbox and I read a review that mentioned that Netgear worked with Microsoft to get the best optimization possible for gaming and the new Xbox one.
That is correct we must have read the same article
Valek wrote:
So, my question is do you need to set up this Xbox optimized QOS or is it already setup out of the box optimized for Xbox?
Xbox is in the list of applicatons of priorities, which can be found Advnaced Tab>Qos Setup>press Upstream QoS Tab>press setup Qos rules. There you will see a list of all the BAKED in applications including XBOX. To take advantage of it you need to enable upstream Qos.I enabled the feature, if you are steaming video from a website and it is not in the list, it will be very choppy and other websites will pull up slowly. Personally I dasbled QoS both in the Upstream and Downstream. Xbox works fine. You should enable WMM on both the 2.4 & 5ghz band. ALso add port forwarding rules for XBOX
Valek wrote:
Just wondering because I currently do not use QOS on my WNDR4500 and my gaming is fine, so I wonder if the R7000 will be even better.
As explained above I recommend you do the same for the R7000. Add Port forwarding rules and enable WMM on the 2.4 & 5ghz.
Message 2 of 8
Valek
Aspirant

Thanks for the helpful info.

You mentioned that you should still port forward for Xbox which I understand, but if the R7000 is optimized for Xbox wouldn't the ports be forwarded already to maximize the optimization.

Just wondering if that is the case.
Message 3 of 8
Lexist2112
Luminary

Okay.... have to understand port forwarding XBOX and QoS/Prioritization are 2 separate configurations. Port forwarding configurations allows you to enter XBOX live and use the Mic for voice. QoS/Prioritization then sets the XBOX as the HIGHEST priority so it will receive the most bandwidth for lag free gaming!!!! Over someone else who is on YOUR network surfing the web and possibly streaming youtube or buying stuff on Amazon!!!!!! Your XBOX will take priority over all of that!!! Here is the Port forwarding config. If you have a firewall or network hardware, such as a router, you might need to make a configuration change in order for your PC or Xbox 360 console to communicate with Xbox Live. This configuration change is sometimes called “opening ports” or "port forwarding." Xbox Live requires the following ports to be open: Port 88 (UDP) Port 3074 (UDP and TCP) Port 53 (UDP and TCP) Port 80 (TCP)
Message 4 of 8
Valek
Aspirant

Thanks again for the info.
Message 5 of 8
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Lexist2112, please do not use quote boxes to reply by adding coloured text responses, this makes the thread difficult to follow if those type of reply are subsequently quoted and added to. Future posts of that style may be edited or removed.
Message 6 of 8
Puppa
Aspirant

Port-forwarding is taken care of via UPnP on Xbox. Don't set up port forwarding for those ports unless you only ever have one Xbox behind the router.

That said, I've noticed more stable wireless connections on my R6300v1 if I set up static IP addresses for my wireless devices, such as the printer, so you may wish to do that on your Xbox as well.
Message 7 of 8
NUKLRSOLDR
Guide

If you look at the default qos rules, xbox is only set to high while a handful of other things are set to highest. I recommend deleting all defaults and setting up a custom rule to your xbox mac address and set to highest priority.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7