Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" is checked ON and greyed out in AP mode

Nav209
Aspirant

"Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" is checked ON and greyed out in AP mode

Hi Community,

I can't seem to turn off the "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" options on the Guest Network Setting on my R8000 or my R7000P routers.  This is when the routers are in AP mode.

My setup is:
Virgin Media Hub 3 as 192.168.0.1

a) VM hub directly cabled to Nighthawk R8000 as 192.168.0.3

b) VM hub cabled via switches to Nighthawk R7000P as 192.168.0.2

Both hubs:

Have SSID of NETGEAR for my use

Have Guest SSID of 55CA for my lodgers' use

Have up-to-date firmware

Have DHCP serving switched off

Are in Access Point mode with static IP addresses

When the hubs are not in AP mode then I can uncheck that "Allow guests..." box.  When in AP mode, the box defaults to being checked and greyed out.

Is there a way to get that check box off?  I run various Chromecast wireless audio/video players around the house, and would like them just to be accessible to me and not to the guest network.

Any help would be appreciated!

Nav.

R8000.JPG

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO,R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" is checked ON and greyed

No, it's the absence of the isolation feature permitting full access and visibility between the wireless networks and the switched LAN ports. The whatever preset in place (coming probably from the router mode configuration) has no relevance.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" is checked ON and greyed

The client isolation feature is not implemented and not available in pure AP mode - therefore the control is not available.

Message 2 of 8
Nav209
Aspirant

Thank you.

However, is there then a different explanation why a smartphone on the 55CA network can use Chromecast speakers through Spotify set up on the NETGEAR network?

Thanks again,

Nav.
Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

No, it's the absence of the isolation feature permitting full access and visibility between the wireless networks and the switched LAN ports.

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

No, it's the absence of the isolation feature permitting full access and visibility between the wireless networks and the switched LAN ports. The whatever preset in place (coming probably from the router mode configuration) has no relevance.

Message 5 of 8
Nav209
Aspirant

Got it now - ABSENCE of isolation!

Thanks.
Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Yep - sorry, not a native English speaker on this end.

Afraid, I would love to suggest a better solution. This is one of the long term "fil rouge" items hanging around and often asked feature/capability for the Nighthawk routers. Appears Netgear has a difficult time (nicely saying) to keep up with what their customers expect in the year 2018 on the router products. Other examples is the amazing absence of a UI to configure firewall rules for Internet -> (via Port/NAT forwarding) -> LAN and Internet -> Router (for any router hosted service, like Remote Access, OpenVPN, ...), or the lack of WDS discovery as just adding SMB 3.0 is not enough to be Windows 10 compatible. Regardless on how many times these issues are discussed in the community, we can rarely see feature changes - neither for "new" models, nor for leading edge models, nor for the mainstream models. Appears some of the product managers and their ODM engineers are living on a different planet. 

Message 7 of 8
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

or the lack of WDS discovery as just adding SMB 3.0 is not enough to be Windows 10 compatible. Regardless on how many times these issues are discussed in the community, we can rarely see feature changes - neither for "new" models, nor for leading edge models, nor for the mainstream models. Appears some of the product managers and their ODM engineers are living on a different planet. 

I am fighting with Support since 3/31/2018 on this very problem.

I've sent PROOF that my R8000 and R7000 is indeed running SMB 3, but Windows 10 REQUIRES SMB 1 to be able to use NET VIEW and share USB drives. Lack of SMB 1 on Win10 breaks the Computer Master Browser function. MS states that MFG's should update devices so SMB 1 is not requires and has a list of devices that do that. Only ONE NG product on that list.

So with at least 6 back and forths between me  and support, I also get the SAME ANSWER. The Router firmware is NOT broken. You must use SMB 1 if you want to use NET USE... and I've provided many many Internet links calling this a security risk  and proof that I was running SMB 1 and on an on and on always getting back the same answer. Support just DOESN'T get it. It seems the Moderators I've contacted here seems to understand and will pass it onto support. The level 1 person I'm communicating with seems to understand but when it gets to higher support levels the SAME answer always comes back.

This problem has been 'known' since a year ago, as one moderators had commented that it was being looked at at that timeframe. Still, no action on this, but it is possible some firmware for some routers might have been 'fixed', don't know for sure.

Support organization seems to be in a different world?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7