Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r7000 no usb 3.0 with latest firmware

algje
Aspirant

r7000 no usb 3.0 with latest firmware

I know this has been much discussed, but I couldn't find the solution in any of the topics after searching for days. Has there been a solution to the usb 3.0 port not working, whereas the usb 2.0 is working fine with an external hard drive? The only solution that's being mentioned is a firmware upgrade, but I'm running a later firmware version to the one that is suggested. I'm on V1.0.7.2_1.1.93. Moreover, the topics I find are over a year old, surely a solution has been found in the meantime?

Thanks.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: r7000 no usb 3.0 with latest firmware

Hi nexusone,

Please check the KB article for the external drives that works with the router.

http://kb.netgear.com/18985/ReadySHARE-USB-Drives-Compatibility-List?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi algje,

1. Did the issue happen before updating the firmware? 

2. What is the model number of the drive?

3. Do you have other 3.0 drive to check the USB 3.0 port of the router?

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi algje,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 3 of 14
algje
Aspirant

Hi James,

Thanks for replying. The answer to question 1 I don't know, since teh firmware was upgraded before I did anything, so I've only had this version. The drive is a seagate srd00f2. It worked fine until I unplugged the router. After that I've tried resetting the router (as per your advice in another topic) and that seemed to work until the router was unplugged again. I've just tried resetting the router again, but this time it doesn't seem to have helped. I think there was some language update somewhere in between that.

I haven't checked another drive, as this drive was recognized before, so the drive itself seems fine.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi algje,

1. If you connect the drive in USB 2.0, will it work?

2. If not, will your computer detects the drive if you connect it directly?

3. Please try using a different drive just to isolate.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 5 of 14
algje
Aspirant

Yes, it works fine in the 2.0 port and directly in my pc or laptop. I will try another drive to be sure and report back asap.
Message 6 of 14
algje
Aspirant

Hi James,

I've tried a Western Digital Elements 1TB drive, exactly the same problem; Works fine on the router's usb 2.0 port and my laptop (also usb 3), but not in the usb 3.0 port on the router...

Thanks

Message 7 of 14
Drewbot
Tutor

was this ever solved? i just picked up a USB 3.0 external drive to plug into my new R7000 which I updated to firmware V1.0.7.2_1.1.93 when I got it a few weeks ago.  however, the router is not recognizing the drive (Seagate Backup Plus Hub 5 tb) when plugged into the USB 3.0 port.  I have a different drive plugged into the USB 2.0 port that is recognized and accessible; this drive is also not available when plugged into the USB 3.0 port.  The new drive is available when plugged into the USB 2.0 port.  And my computer finds the new drive with no problems when plugged into any available USB 2.0 or 3.0 port on my computer.

The white LED light on the top of the USB 1 label on the top of the R7000 never lights up when I plug either drive in to the USB 3.0 slot.

Is the router defective or is this an issue with the firmware?  The unit is still under warranty as I've had it for less than a month but I won't be happy if I swap it at Best Buy for a new R7000 and have the same issue?

If this is a known issue with the firmware version, what is the schedule for an update to bring the USB 3.0 port back to functional status?  Or if there is a known older firmware for which the USB 3.0 port works fine, what is the best version to use, where can I find it and how do I downgrade the router?

Many thanks!  I'm eager to get a USB 3.0 drive attached so it can simplify backing up my various computers and provide some central storage to make files easily accessible to all.  The USB 3 port was one of the reasons I picked up this router.

[Edit - for fun, I plugged in a different USB 3.0 external drive (a Seagate model that is, I think, on the list of compatible devices) that I've been using for quite a long time with no problems and the router seemed to find it so it might actually be that the other drive is not compatible for some reason.  is there a reason why the router has such limited compatibility with USB 3 external drives that otherwise have no issues when plugged directly into PC (and no drivers or anything needed for functionality...saw in the manual that drives that need drivers installed will not work).

-drewbot

Message 8 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi Drewbot,

Just to verify that both drives are not working when connected to the US 3.0? What is the model number of the other drive?

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 9 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi Drewbot,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 10 of 14
SqueakyEye
Guide

+1 for me on this issue. Seems like a lot of people are having USB 3.0 issues.

Message 11 of 14
nexusone
Tutor

Seens like this has been a topic of discussion for like a year now so i tend to think the "firmware" issue is a cover up for a disfunctional 3.0 port.

Can the admins confirm that external 3.0 hard drives actually work when plugged into the USB 3.0 port in the front of the router or is the only option the 2.0 port? 

This is misleading because the router advertises the ability to connect a drive at 3.0 speeds. 

Are there any known limitiations? Has anyone ever been able to recognize a drive in the 3.0 port?

Thanks

Message 12 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi nexusone,

Please check the KB article for the external drives that works with the router.

http://kb.netgear.com/18985/ReadySHARE-USB-Drives-Compatibility-List?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Message 13 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi nexusone,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7