Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r7450 not connecting to modem

alekr386
Tutor

r7450 not connecting to modem

i bought a nighthawk r7450 from walmart because my other wifi router from out internet service provider (spectrum) was fried by lightning this after noon ive done everything correct on setting it up but in the app it fails when checking cables ive tried 4-5 different cables and still nothing the internet light doesnt come on the wifi router and in the router settings internet is red and says not connected are there any solutions
Model: R7450|Nighthawk AC2600 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: r7450 not connecting to modem

what modem/gateway are you connecting it to? 

what model router "went bad"?

Message 2 of 14

@plemans wrote:

what modem/gateway are you connecting it to? 

And did it survive the lightning strike. Does this unnamed modem still work?

Message 3 of 14
alekr386
Tutor

Spectrum D3.1 eMTA is the modem and the router is a spectrum wave 2 i dont know exactly which model because im not home
Message 4 of 14
alekr386
Tutor

Spectrum D3.1 eMTA is the modem yes it still works spent 30 minutes on the phone with my isp and they rebooted it multiple times the light come on but when i try connecting the new router the nighthawk to it my isp cannot see that its even connected to it
Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

If you plug your pc/laptop into the modem, does it work? Thats the more important question than if the ISP can see it. 

Message 6 of 14
alekr386
Tutor

when i plugged my laptop into it i could only pull up the website to change the settings in the router
Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

Not plugging into the router. Plug the laptop into the modem. We're trying to see if the modem works. 

Message 8 of 14
alekr386
Tutor

plugged laptop into modem and says no internet connection
Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

did you power off the modem, give it a couple minutes and power it back on? (disconnect the laptop during this)

If you did and you still don't get a connection, seems to indicate a modem issue

Message 10 of 14

@alekr386 wrote:
plugged laptop into modem and says no internet connection

To me this suggest two possibilities:

• your modem is not connecting to the Internet
  • your laptop is refusing to use the Internet connection

Is the laptop message "no internet connection" or something more detailed. And where do you see it? Windows networking? A browser?

I ask because that isn't an error message I recognise and because Windows is known to refuse to access the Internet because it is "protecting" you from something it doesn't recognise.

You also said "the light come on", but most modems have several lights and they can show different colours. You need the one that tells you about the Internet on/off status, not the power status, for example.

Message 11 of 14

@plemans wrote:

If you did and you still don't get a connection, seems to indicate a modem issue

Yup.

Message 12 of 14
alekr386
Tutor

the power light and the online light both come on solid blue and when i opened google chrome it pulled up the game for when youre offline but spectrum is sending me a new modem and router thanks for the help ill try the net gear router out on the new modem when it gets here
Message 13 of 14

@alekr386 wrote:
....but spectrum is sending me a new modem and router

Probably a good move. Even if it survived the lightning strike, there's a chance that the modem suffered internal damage that will bring it to its knees eventually.

Depending on the modem/router they send, you may have to tweak it if you also want to use the Netgear router.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7