× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX12 Nighthawk RAX120 DHCP and reserve issues

Nukeman10
Aspirant

AX12 Nighthawk RAX120 DHCP and reserve issues

Hi, I've got several network devices. Both Wired and Wireless. I decided for security reasons to enable Access Control. I took a whole night adding each of my static and dhcp items to it's allow list. I also tried to reserve many of them so they would stop changing. I've never seen a Router that has so many inconsistancies with DHCP. Sure I have a lot of devices, but within surely within the limits. after all that time I found the next morning my cellhpone would not connect. It seems that DHCP eventually acts like it's released and renewed so much that my cellphone no longer can get an IP. Yet there are plenty non-reserved left. DHCP look screwed up in the logs, only showing 6, 2 byte values of the celphones MAC. Same goes with anything else that trys to connect. I have to reset the AX120, power cycle, 1 time even had to start over. But I have now given up and removed using Access Control. 

I have the latest FW loaded, but I have read oterh threads that suggest Newgear is aware of this and has been. I really ahte to have to set many of my devices to static. Anyone else know of this issue with DHCP. 

Thx,

Nuke

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: AX12 Nighthawk RAX120 DHCP and reserve issues

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

Message 2 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] I've never seen a Router that has so many inconsistancies with
> DHCP. [...]

If you exhibited any of them here, then I missed it.

> [...] Sure I have a lot of devices, but within surely within the
> limits. [...]

Define "a lot of devices".  "surely within" _which_ "the limits"?

> [...] It seems that DHCP eventually acts like [...]

Doesn't that sound just a little vague to you?

> [...] my cellhpone [...]

Not a very detailed description of that device, either.  One
potential trouble source for iOS devices:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

> [...] DHCP look screwed up in the logs, [...]

With my weak psychic powers, I can't see any of that, either.

> [...] only showing 6, 2 byte values of the celphones MAC. [...]

Do you mean six one-byte (two-hexadecimal-digit) values?  Are you
trying to say that the IP address is missing from something?  At what,
exactly, are you looking?

> I have the latest FW loaded, [...]

As always, an actual version number would be more useful than your
opinion of what's "latest" today.

> [...] I have read oterh threads [...]

Thanks for the helpful links.

> [...] Anyone else know of this issue with DHCP.

Not I, but, based on your description, I might not recognise "this
issue with DHCP" if I tripped over it elsewhere.

Message 3 of 5
thehypnootoad
Luminary

You are not on your own I have these issues too and seem others aswell. Try a pin hole reset it might sort itself abit mines calmed down for now but like you had to reserve ip addresses as dchp poops itself when first connecting.

Message 4 of 5
Nukeman10
Aspirant

I've tried, and had to use the pin hole to reset. Thx though.

Sure I was a little vague. Am I talking to the Router police or what.

I have about 125 devices that require IPs. I set about 15 of them static. The others are all anywhere from older 1.2 devices to several 5 GHz. Also have a few WIFI6 devices such as my phone. But to keep it short, DHCP is a mess on this $499 router. Look it up. Several others are suggesting the same thing. This is why Netgear makes us pay for support after so little time. What a racket. 

And forget using this community to post frustrations on an important device that works like it was built in china. 

LAter

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7