× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX4300 (RAX45) as Access Point Seems to Block duckduckgo

tadigiacomo
Guide

AX4300 (RAX45) as Access Point Seems to Block duckduckgo

I have an AX4300 set up as an Access Point. The main router is an AC1750 (R6400v2). When I try to access duckduckgo.com while connected to the AX4300 via WIFI the browser says it cannot be reached, and the error is ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT.

When I connect via the AC1750 WIFI I have no issues. When connected to an Edimax AC750 access point I am replacing and a hardwire connection I am also able to access the site. This happens in Chome from both a Samsung S20+, which is WIFI 6 capable, and an HP laptop which is WIFI 5.

I've played around with different settings, but to no avail. Does anyone have any idea what the issue can be? Thanks!

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: AX4300 (RAX45) as Access Point Seems to Block duckduckgo

Try enabling IPv6. I've seen more devices defaulting to ipv6 for their first dns inquiry. maybe its causing an issue 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

In AP mode, the RAX shouldn't be doing any dns/hcp/etc. Thats all forwarded on. 

Do you have IPv6 enabled on the R6400? 

what firmware is on the R6400?

If you don't mind my asking, why are you using the R6400 as primary and the RAX as AP? 

The RAX has a much more capable process/specs. In AP mode, its not getting close to using its capabilities. 

Message 2 of 10
tadigiacomo
Guide

The R6400v2 firmware version is V1.0.4.122_10.0.95. IPv6 is disabled.

A bit of a long story, I bought the RAX45 to replace the R6400v2, then would use the R6400v2 as an access point. I come to find out that I didn't read the the RAX45 data sheet completely, or I would have learned that Netgear Smart Parental Controls are basically useless without a subscription. I use CIrcle with the R6400v2 without a subscription mainly for some content filtering. So, I left it in place as the router until I decide what I am going to do regarding a subscription. I may just have to bite the bullet. I agree, it should be the main router. Thanks for your reply!

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Try enabling IPv6. I've seen more devices defaulting to ipv6 for their first dns inquiry. maybe its causing an issue 

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

There is a newer firmware for the R6400v2. I've seen a few issues on here about it but you can give it a shot and see if it helps. If it makes it worse, you can downgrade back to the one you're on.
Message 5 of 10
tadigiacomo
Guide

I will try enabling IPv6 and give that a shot. Both devices are at the latest firmware, or at least they don't report a newer one available when I check from the admin pages. Thanks again, I'll report back what happens.

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

there is a new version on the support site. 

you can find it here: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rax45.aspx

Message 7 of 10
tadigiacomo
Guide

That fixed it! I enabled IPv6 on the R6400 and set it to Passthrough and was able to get to duckduckgo.com. Thanks so much! I have not yet downloaded the new firmware, but will get to that. Thanks again!

The next thing is to deal with the Netgear Parental Controls. I was pretty disappointed about that and almost returned the router, but I guess I'll have to deal with it.

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

Glad IPv6 fixed it!

I'd make a backup and mark this as solved so others aren't trying to fix it still. 

Message 9 of 10
tadigiacomo
Guide

Will do, thanks!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements